WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 20 mile trek in NY

Good evening ladies and gents,
    My father n law and I are hitting the trail for the first time. We've set aside 3 days and were looking to cover about 20-25 miles. Were also looking for a good starting point in New York. If anyone could help us or point us in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Are you shuttling cars or do you need a loop?

Is it specifically A-T you are after, or are you open to other trails? (For instance, my opinion is that the A-T isn't the best hiking even in Harriman.)

Planning to hit the trail on a weekend or midweek? (Some trails downstate are pretty awful when the crowds are about.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

From where you are, I'd say Harriman. Choose any of the endless loop opportunities. If you prefer public transportation, you can plan a through route. The Suffern-Bear Mountain Trail is nice. You could even get in a bit of the A-T if you wish, although, as Kevin says, there are better trails.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I've hiked the AT to the Hudson River and found southern NY much more difficult than the profile map might suggest. Looks almost level, at least lacking big climbs and descents. But it has constant ups and downs, some so steep it has ladders or you are rock scrambling. Just a word to the wise.

Am about to pick up at the Hudson River and finish the state starting May 31st.

That's where the Bear Mountain State Park is and it has good public transportation from NYC via bus. A good place to start or end a hike, in my opinion.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Does anyone know about water sources, say from Greymoor for the next 25 miles?

Take the Hudson Line from NYC to Manitou. Hike the AT north to Pawling, then take the Harlem Line back to Grand Central. It's a relatively easy "starter" section.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy97 View Post
    Does anyone know about water sources, say from Greymoor for the next 25 miles?
    In general things are OK, it has been dry but not that dry and there are some major water sources in this section.

++ New Posts ++