WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What's a good camera?

What's a good camera to take on an Appalachian Trail Thru Hike? Looking for something lightweight, waterproof, can record video. Something that takes AA batteries would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

The one you have with you

Olympus TG-3 is what I carry with me and love it. Not AA but the rechargeable batteries last for several hundred pics between charges. Takes great pictures and decent videos.

Images

Hard to find many AA battery powered cameras these days. I carry one of the Canon S- models, currently the S-100, but I think they are up to the S-120. Tiny, well made, good lens, shoots raw files (if you want that), wide angle lens, image stabilized (very important). I carry two extra batteries, and on longer hikes the small charger. I use about a battery and a half on each 4-5 day section, so I probably don't need the third battery, but it's tiny so I bring it anyway. I get the Wasabi brand 2-battery and charger kit from Amazon, inexpensive and works well.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

This is the camera I use while hiking the Florida Trail and fornon-hiking vacations as well. I think mine is the 12MP version though. It should meet your basic requirements:

Kodak EasyShare Sport
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006L6ZUW0/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I believe Nikon also makes/made one but don't know the model.

I'm in the smartphone crowd now, iPhone 6 Plus takes some pretty solid photos - sorry it doesn't answer your question.

Images

The iPhone 6+ has optical image stabilization, which is a great feature. Image quality is surprisingly good, though I miss having a zoom lens with a wider angle of view.

Don't forget the sweep panoramic feature, which works very well. My wife used her iPhone 5s last summer on the LT and got some terrific panos.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

While not waterproof, I am EXTREMELY pleased with my Ricoh GR. APS-C sensor size (same as many SLR cameras), raw file format, complete manual controls (or auto everything), very compact and light. I added an external viewfinder for use in bright conditions. Only drawback is that is is a fixed 28mm lens, but has both 35mm and 49mm in-camera crop options, plus an available 24mm add-on lens if you like. For landscapes and portraits, I find it completely adequate. Requires a bit of zooming with your feet, but that is not a problem at all once you are used to it.

Due to the wide angle lens, not ideal for wildlife shots if you are into that. This camera's user interface is a dream to use, very customizable. I always carried a SLR with a couple of lenses when photography was important to me on backpacking trips, but this is the next best thing for backpacking with no weight or compactness penalties when compared to other tiny P&S cameras.

HIGHLY Recommended!

I spent years and years of working with all kinds of cameras, including the old SLR's and developing film and making my own prints. Let me say that my opinion on cameras is that 99% of people shouldn't be buying any kind of dedicated camera. The only exceptions to this are if you're in demanding activities that it would be prudent to buy a dedicated camera such as the GoPro or you are supporting yourself by selling pictures. Otherwise, a quality smart phone is about the only thing a person needs to carry. Cameras on smartphones have exceeded the operating knowledge (most even use the big digital SLR's on "auto mode") AND quality requirements of 99% of people. Unless you are selling pictures as a profession or placing your photographic device in continuous stressful situations, buy a decent smartphone. Apple's iPhone cameras are excellent but not so much better than a Samsung to justify the price difference and you are limited on internal storage and power options. If you buy something like a Samsung Grand 2, you get a great camera, 5.25 inch screen, dual Sim card and for most people it's big enough to be a reader, especially on the trail. It also has user exchangeable batteries and a Micro SD card slot to exchange cards up to 64 GB in size. You can carry a lot of entertainment on a 64 GB Micro SD card and a couple extra batteries don't weigh that much. Most thru hikers utilize "multiple use" items so a quality smartphone as your camera (as well as everything else it can do for you) is a no-brainer in my opinion.

Images

Olympus TG - 320, waterproof, 14 mp, easy, love this camera.

Any modern, name brand camera that is waterproof and is a size that is easy to fit in your pocket
    I've had good results from Cannon, Nikon, and Olympus. I like the auto exposure accuracy on cannon slightly better when a scene has light and dark areas. The landscape, sports, night, and portrait modes are simple and work well too. The Nikon has a little better lens - but I can't tell the difference from the cannon until the print size is bigger than 11x17. The Olympus has the worst lens and auto exposure of the three by a small margin - but is the most waterproof and durable.

Images

Honestly, I took great pictures with my iPhone.

Coolpix AW120, if you can find one.

Coolpix AW120, if you can find one. Or the replacement, the AW130

Of course, the Gopro Hero Camera is the best choice, Smatree provide good-quality for Gopro!
    Smatree offers the best and largest selection of GoPro accessories on Amazon, mounts,cases, poles,attachments etc on the internet.

I use a Canon ELPH 110HS
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

I have a Canon SX260. It is a pocket camera with a relatively long optical zoom. I'm not sure it would be the best for a thru hike. But I also have a Galaxy S4 I use to take pics when I don't have my camera. I observe that I like the pictures from the camera much better. I keep reading that cell phones can take great pics and are good enough for most people. I am no expert photographer but I like superior quality and reliability and control I get from even a modest pocket Canon.

I want to thank everyone for their knowledge, experiences and opinions. I have a lot to think about but plenty of time to figure it all out. Much appreciation

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Canon SX100.

Gopro Hero4 Session, have a look
    http://www.smatree.com/NewsInfo/858.html
    Smatree offers the best and largest selection of GoPro accessories on Amazon, mounts,cases, poles,attachments etc on the internet.

++ New Posts ++