WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Garlic
    Images

When I finally reached the 10 lb "UL threshold" I no longer noticed the pack and that turned out to be light enough for me. In the three season hiking I do, I like to be comfortable down to 15F and survivable in single digits. And handling four days straight of heavy cold rain is my guideline (survived that, barely, in WA state twice, on the PCT and PNT).

I realized the pack was light enough on my PNT hike when there was a break in the rain and I doffed my rain jacket and stuffed it in my pack without breaking stride. And that was with several days food. After that moment, I no longer looked for any more weight savings. The five-pound "SUL" label is just not going to happen for me. If I never pay for Cuben fiber, I'll be OK with that.

It's impressive and fun to see SUL hikers do what they do, in the same way it's fun to watch world-class athletes excel at their games. I'm an avid recreational cyclist, and I know now I'll never compete in the Tour de France. After a lifetime of hard cycling, I can just sit and wonder, "How do they do that?"
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

I added helium balloons to my pack and am well below 0 pounds base weight.

I left things alone and just weighed it on the moon.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I think UL is here to stay. I really struggled with my heavy pack. I wish it was 15 lbs. lighter. It's been proven lighter is easier to hike with. So trim your wt. down to what is comfortable & safe. I'm not there yet. It also takes longer to pack & unpack. And don't forget about dropping some skin -in wt.
    MHO

I have a newer external pack I found at a Salvation Army for $10. I bought it actually to hold my SJCAM from the top while I hike. It seemed like a good idea to me.

Images

For me it is necessary. Hiking with half of a functioning lung, every ounce off my back is more miles and vertical gain I can attempt.

I am 70 years old and am able to hike 20 mile days ONLY because I go UL. I could not do it otherwise. I pretty much only hike in summer with a base weight of 9.5 lbs

I have a "sub 30" pack and an "over 30" pack. Both packs have been used by successful thru-hikers. The sub-30 pack has a minimal framesheet. The over-30 pack has a more substantial framesheet, which mostly makes up the 1-lb. difference in weight between the two. I use one pack or the other as conditions warrant. If I can keep total weight well under 30, I get the extra bonus of saving a pound in pack weight.

I was just re-reading a book written by a Scoutmaster from NJ back in 1920. Many books about scouting, himing, woodcraft, etc... came out in those days. What jumped out at me was his suggested pack list for a boy with 4 days of food. Total weight was 23 pounds.

I think most avid backpackers are moving towards lightweight or UL status. The occasional weekenders will still use the heavier, redundant gear.

The prices of some UL gear is what I think is getting outrageous. Zpacks comes to mind. I really think they use Cuben to make more $$. They have good innovative gear, but I'm just not paying $600 for a tent to save a few ounces.

I have noticed a huge difference in my enjoyment of hiking since dropping down to about 12 lbs base weight. Still working on the 10-lb threshold, but the lighter you get the more money you spend to shave those extra ounces. The little stuff is relatively cheap; it's the quilts, packs, clothing, and shelters that cost $$$.

You don't have to go crazy with Cuben Fiber to be weight-conscious. Really the gains from using it over other lightweight materials are pretty minimal and it is both uglier and less durable, not to mention more expensive. That is just my opinion and I am sure many will disagree but it is always about balance for me. I have a heavier/bigger backpack than necessary because I want the increased comfort and durability over lighter packs and ability to really load it up with extra food or other things though I won't usually use all the space. We could get by with lighter sleeping bags but again increased comfort and security against inclimate conditions is worth a few extra ounces.

That said, being weight- and space-conscious is very worthwhile! We switched tents and saved over 3 pounds and a lot of room in the pack for under $200. For $400+ more, I could have gotten a ZPacks tent and saved an additional 8 ounces. No thanks!

Lighter weight backpacking really has no negatives in my eyes. More energy efficient and less wear on the body. As long as the individual is comfortable. No way a phase. Spare dimension pocket would be nice

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++