WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tent Advice: Backpacking with Your Dog

I am looking for a lightweight tent that will fit my 75 lbs German Shepherd and myself. After reading many forums about which tent is best, it has not helped make this decision any easier. I have narrowed it down to two tents, both Tarptent but not opposed to looking at other brands.

Tarptent Rainbow or Tarptent Double Rainbow.

What attracted me to these two are the affordable cost and weight. Any advice, at this point, will be welcomed and helpful!

Thanks!

Default Tent Advice: Backpacking with Your Dog

I know you said you're looking for a tent, but have you thought about tarping it? I found my dog much prefers to be under a tarp tied to our gear then in a tent trying to decipher all the sounds and smells without being able to see what's going on.

(Also had a few accidental doggy-dream claw tear-outs, so a tarp has been cheaper, nothing to repair when he's scratching at the ground in his sleep)
    Last edited by bemental; 05-15-2015 at 21:22.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I've had a Tarptent double rainbow for a couple of years now and love it. Plenty of room for you and the pup, tough floor, lightweight and dependable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 05-15-2015 at 21:25.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I actually haven't thought about using a tarp.. The reason I am leaning more towards a tent was to avoid shelters as much as possible - since not everyone enjoys the company of a potent dog. Do you use your tarp the majority of the time and do you have problems with keeping dry in the rain?

Quote Originally Posted by Paz View Post
    I actually haven't thought about using a tarp.. The reason I am leaning more towards a tent was to avoid shelters as much as possible - since not everyone enjoys the company of a potent dog. Do you use your tarp the majority of the time and do you have problems with keeping dry in the rain?
    My 95lb lab/shepherd mix and I share an 8'x10' tarp with not a single wet night to account for yet (we used to use a 5'x9' surplus military tarp to get a feel for 'tarping' and to make sure it was for us).

Just bought ourselves a BearPaw Designs 8'x10' 0.75 cuben, plan to take it with us on the flip flop thru we're starting in June.

Previous experience was various overnights and weekends locally. We also hiked from Springer --> Fontana with a tarp.

-----

I have a piece of single-layer foam that I carry for him to sleep on, although most of the time he just sleeps straight on the ground (preference). I previously racked out in a surplus military Gortex bivy. Recently bought a MountainLaurel Designs (MLD) superlight (and saved another 2lbs

The 8'x10' was a great upgrade for us, provides us with a ton of space at a total weight of 9oz for the tarp and guidelines (braided dyneema cord).

I always hike with my jack Russell and often my 9 yr old son...the light heart gear solong6 has been great...2lbs..I prefer a tent to keep my dog contained...he wakes up easily with noises...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will add that there are certain... complexities to tarping vs tenting. Site selection becomes evermore important as tents are traditionally more forgiving to poor site selection (whether by being more weather resistant, or straight up easier to move).

I find it is worth it, for me. The entire reason I'm out doors is to be, out of doors. No flaps, no dome over me, just one side (two or perhaps three if the weather is absolutely squalling out), and nothing but nature.

Journal Entries
    Images

Doesn't exist! Just do your best. Get the best tent for yourself.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Thanks guys. I really do appreciate the advice and knowledge. I'm definitely going to do some research about tarps. Bemental's quote of 'the entire reason for being outdoors..' did it for me.. Sarcasam the Elf's suggestion will help with the rainbow v double rainbow dilemma also.

I appreciate all the help! Thanks again guys

This really depends on your dog. Some dogs probably do prefer to tarp it, so they can see what's going on. Others would probably go crazy trying to find the source of every little noise, although I suspect even dogs get acclimated to the night noises on the trail and learn to relax after the first couple of nights.

Tarping is more of an art, as mentioned above.

I too have the double rainbow and love it, it works well for me and my dog. You can also put the sides up canopy style, which lets you enjoy the night and still keep the bugs out.

Default ProTrail

I too have a 70+lb Shepherd (mine's a mix) and my ProTrail works great for us. Zephyr sleeps in a tight ball by my head and my pack fits nicely at my feet. If your dog's a sprawler then the ProTrail might leave you tight on space/fighting condensation, but the cost relative to weight/sq' might make it worth a look.

I'm also looking for better (ultralight) shelters for my dog and I. If its cold he curls up tight but when he is comfortable or warm then he sleeps on his back with those claws up high near the delicate bug netting. The concerns I have with tarping are the ones you commonly hear about: bugs and water.

Images

The guy I hike with a lot who brings his dog uses a TarpTent Stratospire 1, and absolutely loves it.

I don't have any tent advice for you, but your post made me smile. Hiking with your dog - and a German Shepherd at that! Ah, someday.....

Journal Entries
    Images

I just finished a section hike in Virginia with my dog, and English Springer Spaniel, 43-lbs. We used an REI Dash 2 http://www.rei.com/product/862419/rei-dash-2-tent
    Really liked the tent and it could easily accommodate your 75lb dog.
    Best of luck.

Images

My Aussie mix and I will be crashing in a MLD Duomid. Cuts the chances of her tearing up the floor and I can use it solo in winter. She'll have a cut down Zlite pad and a homemade synthetic quilt to snuggle up on, and I'll throw a piece of Tyvek down and put my XTherm on top of that.

FYI and consideration, a dog allowed to roam at night can get too far from you and either get lost or become coyote food. I saw both happen one night on the AT in Georgia. One dog was not found and only parts of the other were located. I personally carry a really thin leash and attach it to my German Shepherd. He has freedom enough and I sleep better knowing he is near.
    If you faint in the face of adversity then your faith is indeed small--Solomon

I used a Eureka Spitfire 1 for me and my 108 lb doberman, which defied the laws of physics to fit us both in it, switched to a Tarptent Double Rainbow which worked okay buy if I was doing it again I would get the StratoSpire 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    FYI and consideration, a dog allowed to roam at night can get too far from you and either get lost or become coyote food. I saw both happen one night on the AT in Georgia. One dog was not found and only parts of the other were located. I personally carry a really thin leash and attach it to my German Shepherd. He has freedom enough and I sleep better knowing he is near.
    Another reason I use a tent instead of a tarp with my dog(lhg solong 6)....my 18 jack would be a good snack for a yote...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents:

I have been using my Hilleberg Anjan 2GT for a while now. It IS 5 lbs. but the nest is big enough for me and all my gear and the vestibule is the same size for my dog. My dog does not get in my nest. The vestibule allows him to still be on ground so if I'm sleeping and he has to go potty, and does, its a lot better then him crapping in the tent.

I have also had great success with my Tarptent Strato 2, once again, him in the vestibule. And the Strato 2 has 2 vestibules so you could easily have 2 dogs
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++