WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I'm sure some have. One guy thru-hiked with a tuba. The tuba was probably more useful.
    Because the Tuba can be used to scare away bears & people.

It's really funny (in a sad way) to think that you can get in a lot of trouble by the law for carrying a knife/machete, but it's perfectly legal to carry one of these http://www.amleo.com/silky-f180-folding-pruning-saw%252c-7-inch-straight-blade/p/143-18/?kc=amlshop15n&mkwid=FoKiUHdn&pcrid={creative_id}& gclid=CJWt6qW4zsUCFYMXHwod4BkAMA

I'm not "carrying a knife" when I backpack in the woods any more than I am "in possession of burglary tools" when I use a crowbar to open a crate.

It has to do with intent - "mens rea" or criminal intent. When backpacking, a reasonable person might carry a six-inch Ka-Bar hunting knife because they may have to chop wood, dig holes, construct shelter or perform some other backcountry task. Maybe they need to skin a fish. Who knows? It's a tool. Such a person is not breaking the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    I'm not "carrying a knife" when I backpack in the woods any more than I am "in possession of burglary tools" when I use a crowbar to open a crate.

It has to do with intent - "mens rea" or criminal intent. When backpacking, a reasonable person might carry a six-inch Ka-Bar hunting knife because they may have to chop wood, dig holes, construct shelter or perform some other backcountry task. Maybe they need to skin a fish. Who knows? It's a tool. Such a person is not breaking the law.
    Probably the best overall answer. Most statutes relative to knives are written in the shadow of criminal intent, backpacking removes a lot of that intent (though I cannot imagine why anyone would carry a machete on the AT for).

Any issues will likely come down to interpretation of the statute by a Ranger or LE official in context to where you are. If you are in the backcountry, its not going to create much of a problem. If you are heading to town, stash the blade until you get back on the trail.

Good advice - don't create a problem that can be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I've seen trail maintainers carrying machetes. Can't say I've ever run across a hiker carrying one. I'm sure some have. One guy thru-hiked with a tuba. The tuba was probably more useful.
    Depending on what key it is played in, that tuba could be used for defense.

Not to go off topic but the tuba hike was cool. There is a blog somewhere on the web...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++