WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heet or Alcohol

Default Heet or Alcohol

Between Heet or Alcohol, which is the choice that everybody prefers?

Heet is easy to find. I buy denatured alcohol at the hardware store because it's cheaper that way.

Don't get isopropyl alcohol.

I prefer Yellow HEET (methanol) over ethanol because it is cleaner burning and has a lower flash point. Denatured alcohol is a mix of the 2. That mixture can run from 40% to 95% ethanol. Clean Strip Green is about 95% ethanol. Ethanol burns hotter, but is sootier. Both are fine or any mixture of the two. It is not a critical choice.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Everclear, no chance of poisoning yourself, unless you want to, burns clean and is dual purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by jdx1177 View Post
    Everclear, no chance of poisoning yourself, unless you want to, burns clean and is dual purpose.
    How much does your everclear cost? Where does the average hiker find it to buy it?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Heet Yellow. Get a 4-pack at Wally World. Costs about $4.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

180 proof Everclear is the way to go. It boils almost as fast as denatured alcohol and heet, without the poison. This is a really big deal for me as my cook kit is all one unit, fitting into my cooking pot (fuel as well). I do not want poison inside my cook pot.

Everclear is more expensive but if it's worth it. It can also be hard to find the 180 proof as not all states sell it and only the lower % alcohol Everclear is available to buy.

Journal Entries

Double post
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-22-2015 at 20:16.

Journal Entries

Everclear does not light as easily as methanol or slx. Even in warm weather,. In cold weather its much worse. It also doesnt burn as clean necessarily. Depends on air supply (windscreen) and stove. If i put straight everclear in my setup i get a sooty pot bottom. I use a tight windscreen tuned for slx.

I use SLX (50-50) spiked with everclear to make it about 75/25 (disregarding water content of course). A little more heat than slx, but still lights as easily, and zero soot.

Grocery store liquor departments around me have 750ml bottles for $13 or so.

Images

FWIW, while methanol is poisonous, even in amounts as small as 10 ml, it also occurs naturally and is routinely ingested in small quantities in fruits, juices, wines, etc. The chances of getting poisoned by methanol because it is carried in or near cooking gear is pretty remote (unless one is very careless) as it evaporates rapidly on exposure to air leaving no residue.

EDIT: Don't drink your stove fuel and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 05-22-2015 at 20:37.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Part of the concern with methanol is accidently drinking it. I have zero concern about that. I do not repackage methanol. It already comes in a suitable container. The yellow HEET bottle works fine for me and is impossible to confuse for a drinking bottle.

Be aware of which type of HEET container you get. There is a screw top type that people like, but there is also a bottle with a cap that you pry off with a screwdriver or key. That type of cap does snap on, but it's not very secure and leaks. I always put my fuel in a different container and store in a baggie.

whatever I can find. Have used both.

You can run a car on everclear.

Floyd

So there's 2 different color heet bottles-which is the one to use-as you can guess I'm new at this

Red is isopropyl. Yellow is methanol. Buy the yellow bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by pickle View Post
    So there's 2 different color heet bottles-which is the one to use-as you can guess I'm new at this
    Yellow, always.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Part of the concern with methanol is accidently drinking it. I have zero concern about that. I do not repackage methanol. It already comes in a suitable container. The yellow HEET bottle works fine for me and is impossible to confuse for a drinking bottle.
    I use an 8 ounce Poland Spring bottle (they often have them at meetings at work if they have coffee at break time) for my fuel bottle when I'm using denatured alcohol. I peel the label, color the cap with red Sharpie, add a label with DENATURED ALCOHOL - FLAMMABLE - POISON - CAS 64-17-5, and put in a drop of blue food dye. Since an 8 ounce water bottle is pretty useless on the trail, nobody mistakes it for anything but a fuel bottle.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I use an 8 ounce Poland Spring bottle (they often have them at meetings at work if they have coffee at break time) for my fuel bottle when I'm using denatured alcohol. I peel the label, color the cap with red Sharpie, add a label with DENATURED ALCOHOL - FLAMMABLE - POISON - CAS 64-17-5, and put in a drop of blue food dye. Since an 8 ounce water bottle is pretty useless on the trail, nobody mistakes it for anything but a fuel bottle.
    You are not alone. Many people have similar plans with great success. I suspect my concern has as much to do with OCD as safety. The HEET is home in its friend comfy container that it is used to living in. Repurposing drinking containers for fuel scares me. Using one for a piss bottle scares me too. I know it is done safely by many many people. Still scares me though.

Images

I use an A&W Root Beer Bottle. The neck makes it easy to distinguish from my water bottles, even in the dark.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Default alcohol on plane

Can you take denatured alcohol on a plane? I was thinking about getting an alcohol stove for my section hike but I am trying to figure out the logistics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++