WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heet or Alcohol

On the plane question, you will have to check it to carry any significant amount but i would just buy it where ever you are going, it's easy to find. Also, if you are going to keep Heet in the original container, once its been opened make sure it is packed upright, it may leak with an altitude change. There are other bottles that won't.

Images

Ive used both, I like denatured alcohol better. It smells sweeter, its cheaper in bulk, and burns a little hotter. I have seen no sooty residue at all when using it. I use my fancy feast stove pretty much exclusively, usually cook two meals a day (morning and night) and never have soot on my stuff. So far I've only taken trips where I can carry enough fuel without looking for more. I have two fuel bottles. One is a re-purposed lavender body wash bottle with a flip top. Its large, but its a squeeze bottle with a flip top that I can't force to leak if I try. The other is a plastic walmart Outdoor Products hip flask. It doesn't carry as much, but it fits right in the side pocket of my pack, perfectly. I don't carry anything else in a hip flask, so there's no chance I'll mix it up and accidentally drink it.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I prefer alcohol. Heet tastes nasty.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by influenza54 View Post
    Can you take denatured alcohol on a plane? I was thinking about getting an alcohol stove for my section hike but I am trying to figure out the logistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2c View Post
    On the plane question, you will have to check it to carry any significant amount but i would just buy it where ever you are going, it's easy to find. Also, if you are going to keep Heet in the original container, once its been opened make sure it is packed upright, it may leak with an altitude change. There are other bottles that won't.
    NO. Not in checked or carry on. Nothing above 140 proof booze in checked luggage, must be in original unopened container, packaged well, etc. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...olic-beverages http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/camping-gear Buy your fuel once you arrive.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Alcohol tastes nasty. I like coffee.

Okay that was not very helpful. HEET puts out less BTU's than ethanol. However, it has a lower vaporization point, burns cleaner, and already comes perfectly packaged for the trail.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 05-27-2015 at 09:24.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

alcohol is clean and cheap

Thank you for the link. SO I should buy it when I get there I guess. I still have a lot of details to work out. Maybe a canister jetboil type stove would work better for me. I am so new at this. I am doing a lot of lurking on the forums.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by influenza54 View Post
    Thank you for the link. SO I should buy it when I get there I guess. I still have a lot of details to work out. Maybe a canister jetboil type stove would work better for me. I am so new at this. I am doing a lot of lurking on the forums.
    All types of fuel are readily available at trail towns. The choice of stove is more a personal thing. Many use alcohol. Many use canister gas. The weight differences are relatively minor. Personally, having used both, I generally use canister as, although it's a few ounces heavier, it's faster, better in the wind, etc. at least for ME (I want my water hot NOW!). Make sure you have a good windscreen (or built in one) if using either.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Please forgive my OCD. The premise of the discussion is flawed. HEET is methanol. Methanol is alcohol. Alcohol is not just ethanol. That part of the discussion has been jabbing my OCD. I have already posted my preference (and such things are just a preference). Just thought I would add this video to the discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxd_CH2NIWE

I like methanol.

Edit: After reading the comments on the video, I question if the author knows what is in the right cup. It might be isopropyl (which is also alcohol ). Either way, ethanol burns hotter and more sooty. I like to keep my cook system as clean as possible for as long as possible.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 05-28-2015 at 09:38.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

I have a ridiculously cheep source of methanol ( a friend buys it by the tanker load for his windshield solvent business), have used it the better part of 20 years without a problem. It does need to be coaxed to life in colder conditions but burns very clean and have never had any contamination issues.
    Kevin

Yellow heat works for me. It's super easy to find as well.

I Also really wouldn't want to spill either heet or denatured on any of my gear, clothes or skin, they both smell horrible to me.
    BTW I'm using 190 proof and I've had no issues with soot or ignition in various temperatures. There is a good thread on another forum showing some comparisons with other fuels, I'll see if I can find a link.
    It's true it may be hard to find a steady supply if thru hiking but it's my favorite option when available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++