WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: REI Evergreen

Default REI Evergreen

Came across this preview for a new product line on REI.com. http://www.rei.com/h/evrgrn

I'm sure there are a lot of smart marketers at REI going after a demand, but this doesn't bode well for "real" outdoor gear - an REI Snuggie?!?. Back in their day, Abercrombie & Fitch, LL Bean, and Eddie Bauer used to be decent outfitters, but now are primarily lifestyle brands. A&F is a lost cause, while LL Bean still has some decent stuff among the lighthouse lamps and dog beds. Eddie Bauer is making an attempt at a comeback with its First Ascent line. It's just disappointing to see REI seemingly taking the first steps down the same road.
    Last edited by Offshore; 05-23-2015 at 08:30.

Images

Well, if you want to stick to hiking Rail Trails you could use a Rickshaw to haul that stuff.
    They're going where they think there's money to be made, nothing wrong with that.
    No different than a store that carries car camping gear as well as backpacking gear
    I just hope they don't drop the backpacking gear to make room for the new stuff.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Came across this preview for a new product line on REI.com. http://www.rei.com/h/evrgrn

I'm sure there are a lot of smart marketers at REI going after a demand, but this doesn't bode well for "real" outdoor gear - an REI Snuggie?!?. Back in their day, Abercrombie & Fitch, LL Bean, and Eddie Bauer used to be decent outfitters, but now are primarily lifestyle brands. A&F is a lost cause, while LL Bean still has some decent stuff among the lighthouse lamps and dog beds. Eddie Bauer is making an attempt at a comeback with its First Ascent line. It's just disappointing to see REI seemingly taking the first steps down the same road.
    I spent about five seconds reading that site before I had to close it. The intentional spelling mistakes and lack of capital letters on the page is infuriating. I don't care if their marketing department thinks it's trendy, it makes them look like idiots.

(Side note: I do understand the hypocrisy of posting the above comment a few minutes after I started a separate thread that has a typo in the title. )
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 05-23-2015 at 11:10.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

It might be time for REI members to get active in COOP management.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

they'll do very well with this line.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I spent about five seconds reading that site before I had to close it. The intentional spelling mistakes and lack of capital letters on the page is infuriating. I don't care if their marketing department thinks it's trendy, it makes them look like idiots.
    Or hipsters (which anyone who has ridden the L train from Union Square to Brooklyn may feel are one in the same).

As others have said. There is a whole sub-culture called car-campers, they're filling a nitch. I doubt that it will interfere with the backpacking end.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Something has to pay for the very liberal return policy.

Snuggies or higher prices?

++ New Posts ++