WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Transportation Durango-> Denver

I was thinking of taking the Greyhound back to Denver. I was wondering how reliable the Greyhound service is. I've had beyond horrible experiences up in New England. Or if anyone had any other suggestions for getting back to Denver.

Journal Entries

Fly?
    Unless looking for cheap alternative to that.

There is no greyhound service to durango. Here is a thread discussing all of the transportation options: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ver-to-Durango

I just went from New Mexico to Michigan. Not ideal but reliable. Improved boarding procedures, you get a number. Seats not comfortable. Transfers are still a pain, watch your bag. Take your own food, no time at stops. Cross country I would take a plane, but short trips I would do it.

Check out the airflights, could be close to same cost, if you purchase ahead of time, and are flying out of Denver.

I did find a price for bus service today, $99.00 Durango to Denver on the Greyhound website, call the Durango Transit Center to verify. Probably a different carrier.

Images

I did a one way car rental - Enterprise - they will pick you up where ever you are in Durango, drop it off in Denver. It's more expensive, but worked great. It was neat driving back over the passes we hiked. Just another way to see the area.

There is daily bus service between Durango to Grand Junction on Road Runner Stage Lines, connecting to Greyhound in Grand Junction. Schedule here: http://roadrunnerstagelines.com/tickets/

Last summer I took the comfortable and nearly empty Road Runner bus from Durango to Grand Junction on an indirect but scenic route, then after a short layover took Greyhound from Grand Junction to Denver. I bought the tickets in Durango the morning I left, in late August. From Denver another hiker and I took the local commuter train to the Littleton Mineral station and waited a long time for a cab to take us back to our cars at Waterton Canyon. Luckily for us a trail angel getting off the train saw that we were hikers and was kind enough to drive us to Waterton - who knows when the cab we called might have showed up.

Thanks, guys! I wanted to make sure the bus services heading back to Denver was known to run reasonable well. I've had a lot of times taking buses where they were late to begin with, then it broke down, then waited another hour for another bus to show up, etc or just cancelled that day. I'm concerned about booking a flight out of Durango, because I'm not sure of my timeline (other than the firm date to fly out from Denver). Durango didn't seem like it had easy housing options (besides the campground and hotels) mixed with transportation (besides hitchhiking or walking).

++ New Posts ++