WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best to use with Squeeze

Which would you rather use for dirty water with the Sawyer Squeeze, 1500ml Evernew bag or 1.0L Smart water bottle?

I use the 1500ml evernew as my dirty bag and a SW as my drink bottle. I set it up as a gravity system. No chance on popping the bag and goes faster. I did see a few thru hikers with the mini screwed right on top of a SW bottle. Really tall and prone to breakage I would guess. All the people doing that it sticking way out of their packs one side or the other.

I am using two 1000 mL Evernew bags. One for dirty, another as a reservoir if I need to dry camp. Plus the second gives me a back-up (always nice to have a back up). I have a couple of 40 oz gatorade bottles strapped to my pack straps for drinking from.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

With a water container attached directly to the input of the Sawyer, there's no place for air to enter. If you are using an Evernew, it will collapse as the water drains out. The only way for the water to drain out of the Smart Water bottle is for the bottle to collapse. The Evernew is designed to collapse while the water bottle is not. The bottle will work but you're putting stress on the bottle it was not designed for. I would expect the water bottle to fail long before the Evernew. But then given the low cost and ready availability of the water bottle, so long as your replacing the bottle before it gets anywhere near the failure point, I could see it working.

Iinstead carry an Evernew for the dirty water and a Platypus Hoser for the clean water in gravity mode. I also carry at least one Smart water bottle for extra storage capacity allowing it to be my emergency backup if the Evernew were to fail or get damaged.

Ok this may be a dumb question but why use the evernew instead of the bag the sawyer squeeze comes with... and also using a bag isn't it hard to fill in all but conditions with decent running water

I use a 1L bottle with the bottom cut off as a funnel for my Sawyer. A second 1L bottle is cut to be a dirty water scoop (removed the top). One is a club soda bottle, and the other a Mtn Dew. They nest together and make a nice carrier for the filter, syringe, and other items for purifying water. It can be hard to fill a bag from a trickle of water, so the scoop is really nice.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mPalozzola01 View Post
    Ok this may be a dumb question but why use the evernew instead of the bag the sawyer squeeze comes with... and also using a bag isn't it hard to fill in all but conditions with decent running water
    The Evernew is clear so that you can see what is in your water. I also like the fact that the Evernew cap is attached to the bag. Wish Platypus would do the same. You might also want to use a different size than what comes with the Sawyer (the mini only comes with 16oz, while the Squeeze comes in two versions, one with three different size bags and another with only the 32oz).
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 05-26-2015 at 09:40.

I looked at the evernew website and it says that you can get them from rei - but when I looked at the rei site it was not there-so where can you get the 1500ml evernew

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pickle View Post
    I looked at the evernew website and it says that you can get them from rei - but when I looked at the rei site it was not there-so where can you get the 1500ml evernew
    Campsaver.com,
    AntigravityGear.com

It might help to Goggle 'Evernew Water Carry'.

With Google, I can also find some less well-known retailers:
    EverythingOutDoorsCamping.com
    OpticsPlanet.com
    LibertyMountain.com
    (I don't know anything about any of these... they are just web sites I was able to find the Evernew on Google today).
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 05-26-2015 at 16:56.

I've never had a problome with the provided bag.

I use a 2L platypus for dirty water and 1L smartwater bottle for clean. The mini attaches to either and their bottle tops are interchangeable.

I used the 16 oz Sawyer bag for my first trip with that filter, but found myself having to fill it over and over (too small). It was summer and I needed a lot of water. I find a larger capacity dirty water bag more convenient.

After trying a couple of combos on the AT and seeing what seemed to work for others I ended up with a 4L Platypus dirty bag/gravity feed to a 2L soft Nalgene bottle and a 1L SW. The 4L lets me take one trip to the water source with one bag, I fill the 2L and 1L for the next days hike and use the last L to cook with and drink the evening before. I used a Sawyer Mini and had a bag blow out. Prior to that I used the regular sized Sawyer and that worked fine (thought I would save some space with the mini). If the water source was a steep climb/decent from the camp site and more then .2 miles away, I just didn't like making the trip twice, which I have had to do, which is why I got the 4L. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat and also depends on how much water you use, I use a fair amount to stay hydrated.

I have no personal experience with this yet, BUT...
    I watched a lot of post-hike equipment vids and a lot of folks recommend the Smart water bottles. I've heard over and over about the bags' seams failing.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GScout View Post
    I have no personal experience with this yet, BUT...
    I watched a lot of post-hike equipment vids and a lot of folks recommend the Smart water bottles. I've heard over and over about the bags' seams failing.
    Exactly what bags?
    The 1st generation Sawyer bags (I think the black or dark navy blue colored ones) were known for having problems.
    I so far have not heard of issues with their second generation bags that are light blue.

Never heard of issues with Evernew.

Platypus has the issue that the thread pitch doesn't match the 'standard' thread pitch the Sawyer and Evernew and water bottles have. So some people have issues with getting a good seal using Platypus as the dirty water bag. (However I think I read someone say that some older generation platypus bladders did have the standard thread pitch compared to the custom pitch on Platypus products sold today).

I just got back from a 3 week GA-NC section and this is what worked for me:

The 1L dirtywater bag that comes with the Sawyer works fine and I don't want something I can get mixed up with a clean water bottle. I know there is nothing floating in it because by the time I've carried 6L of water in my collapsible bucket (homemade - .5 oz) for the quarter mile that the water source always is from the shelter/campsite, the sediment has settled out.

I use a 1L Smart Water bottle cut in half as a funnel. It has a push-top (Platypus sells a package of two that fit) that funnels the water into the top of the Sawyer bag and if I need a scoop (and you will) I just close the top and use the funnel as a cup. I use the same funnel to fill the bucket if necessary.

I used a 1L Platypus Unbottle for camp water and three 700ml Ozarka bottles for hiking water. I wished I'd had a 2L platypus because it takes a liter for cooking and I had to store a liter in the dirty water bag overnight and filter it in the morning for breakfast.

I tried to make a female-female adapter out of two smart water bottle caps, so that I could use the funnel for backflushing instead of that stupid heavy syringe. It fell apart the first time I used it. Next time I'll get one of those gadgets they sell for making "volcanos".

I also tried to make a stopper from a smart water bottle for the dirty end of the Sawyer that aways tries to leak into your gear. It failed after about a week. I don't know why Sawyer doesn't include a stopper in their kit. My solution was to store the Sawyer dirty end down in the funnel with the push top closed, and store it in a stuff sack in the side pocket of my pack.

I made a custom stuff sack to fit all my filtering gear, which is another item Sawyer ought to include in their kit.

Quote Originally Posted by pickle View Post
    Amazon has them in Stock at this time. I do like the attached cap. That was a concern of mine when using the platypus bag so I carried an extra cap in my first aid kit. I only lost that one sone how. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post

I also tried to make a stopper from a smart water bottle for the dirty end of the Sawyer that aways tries to leak into your gear. It failed after about a week. I don't know why Sawyer doesn't include a stopper in their kit.
    My Sawyer came with a grey cap with tube nozzle which screws into the dirty water side if the Sawyer. Instead of connecting it to a tube, I capped the nozzle with a tight fitting rubber cap. No more leaking...
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

So am I reading this right? The platy bags do not thread with the sawyer squeeze? What about the mini?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by msoult View Post
    So am I reading this right? The platy bags do not thread with the sawyer squeeze? What about the mini?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sawyer used standard bottle threads on there products, matching what is found on almost every narrow mouth soda bottles and water bottles. Wide mouth Gatorade bottles would be an obvious except.

Modern narrow mouth Platypus bags use a mouth with a matching diameter, but they decided to use a custom thread pitch (ie angle). So the Platypus will fit, but the Sawyer will only turn about 3/4ths of a turn before the misaligned threads will prevent you from screwing the Sawyer all the way down such that the mouth of the Platypus won't reach the sealing O ring of the Sawyer. Some claim the are still able to use the Platypus bags anyway, but you risk leakage of dirty water down into your clean water.

Sawyer bags and Evernew bags both use standard bottle threads and will allow you to screw the Sawyer down far enough to get a good seal on the O ring.

An alternate (with the mini) is to use hoses over the nipples.

++ New Posts ++