WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

And the backpack I bought had a flower hair tie on it. Yes, a flower. Because apparently they must specify that this is for a lady and appeal to my inherent feminine side. The don't dangle footballs or penises off the "male" packs because, you know, we already assume they are for men.
    Well, you bought it. If you wanted a different one - one that doesn't anger you - you should have bought that one.

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool I'm a male who always backpacks alone

And, even though I don't get the sexist comments you get, half the time people are dumb-founded that I would do such a "dangerous" thing.
    "Aren't you worried about bears?" is a common question, and the reply I've come up with is the truth: "Yes, I'm worried -- the bears always run away before I can get my camera ready for a photo."
    When someone asked if I carry a gun, I noted that I don't carry a gun* when I walk through downtown Philadelphia at night, so why should I carry such a worthless and heavy piece of equipment when I backpack?

Trust me: through the years, you'll get all sorts of clueless and witless questions and comments.
    Just learn to be gracious and polite, and use the opportunity to educate people about the joy of your avocation.
    The more of our citizens who get excited about back-country and wilderness experience, the easier it will be to maintain such areas for us hikers.

* Actually, I don't even OWN one, but that's another story.

My wife and I both liked the flower on the Deuters because it did stand out, rather than rifling through bags looking for the tags.

It is removable, right?

Images

Very well said. Better than I might have responded to PF's post, which made me cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Maybe she is. Some are. That is a relevant factor. Pack designers incorporate the odds of women being shaped differently into their designs. The other pertinent facts is that a high percentage of men are pigs. A high percentage of women know this. This makes talking about a woman's shape as it relates to their pack choice an awkward conversation. I am willing to bet some women reading this would be uncomfortable with your question and my elaboration. Let me say this: My 3 favorite women (my mother, wife, and daughter) would have 3 different pack considerations. If I helped them choose a pack, a conversation about their body shapes would have to happen.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

As another male who backpacks alone, I get more aggravation from my wife and adult children about that than anyone. I think I finally have them convinced, and now I deal with clueless acquaintances who feel I will be eaten by a bear or a non-existant eastern mountain lion. They are always incredulous when I tell them the most dangerous creatures on the AT are a virus carrying mosquito or tick.

Everyone has to deal with their own version of this. People love to make snap judgments about things. Being a woman, a man, fat, old, not having the current trendy brand of pack or shoe, not having the "right" stove or shelter...the list of reasons folks will use to judge others is pretty much endless. Still, it really all comes down to what is wrong with the person doing the judging, not their target.

Quote Originally Posted by bill1980 View Post
    As another male who backpacks alone, I get more aggravation from my wife and adult children about that than anyone. I think I finally have them convinced, and now I deal with clueless acquaintances who feel I will be eaten by a bear or a non-existant eastern mountain lion. They are always incredulous when I tell them the most dangerous creatures on the AT are a virus carrying mosquito or tick.
    The thing I don't think we fully grasp is the fact that we are not normal by today's standards. A huge percentage of people have no hope of grasping why we would put a weight on our backs and go for long walks in the woods. I cannot convince my mother that I don't need bear spray. People on the trail ask me if I have an unreasonable fear of bears. I tell them no, but I do have a reasonable fear of my mother. The hike is not just about us. There are some inconveniences that must be endured if we are to live in peace with the "normal" people. Be patient with them. They don't know that they are ignorant and we are not going to cure them of that fact.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Shuttle drivers are pretty knowledgeable about the area they serve. By saying your plans are too ambitious, he is speaking from experience since he knows how long it takes the majority of hikers to do that given section. It is very easy for people who have yet to experience the AT to underestimate it's difficulty and over estimate thier ability. Out of curiosity, what section do you plan to do and how many days do you plan to do it in? As a first timer on the AT, I would allow at least 2 weeks to cover 165 miles.

Using flower to identify a woman's pack is a cute idea. Would you rather have a purple or pink pack?

There are many solo female hikers. Nearly everyone starts out alone and hikes alone, but we do tend to come together at the end of the day to camp together and socialize.

Good luck with your trip!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    Everyone has to deal with their own version of this. People love to make snap judgments about things. Being a woman, a man, fat, old, not having the current trendy brand of pack or shoe, not having the "right" stove or shelter...the list of reasons folks will use to judge others is pretty much endless. Still, it really all comes down to what is wrong with the person doing the judging, not their target.
    I am not bothered by those that have confidence that their setup works for them. I love to hear the successes in great detail. That is a beautiful thing. What tips me over is when someone bashes someone else's preference. There are so many right ways to do things. The goal should be to find the best right that works for you and then ignore the noise.

Okay. I think I have made up for my earlier praised post

I should also say that I agree with you LS.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 05-27-2015 at 11:50.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

First off, I enjoyed the rant...funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GScout View Post
    So I'm a female, 44, section hiking for the first time. I grew up camping, backpacking and hiking, am fit, and have trained well, hiking over 200 miles carrying 25 lbs. in preparation for my 165 mile section of the AT.

In the course of my prep, I've been told by the shuttle service I tried to hire that my hike plans are too ambitious and I should not expect to complete the section I have planned. (Needless to say I hired a different service.)
    Yeah, do what you feel comfortable with, and don't worry about the shuttle service. They probably do have some good advice, but I've seen plenty of women on the trail hiking big miles.

The don't dangle footballs or penises off the "male" packs
    This was freakin funny.

And everyone asks me, "You're hiking ALONE??" As though the trail is especially dangerous for me alone as a woman.
    I'm a 6'5" almost 200lb male and I get this comment all the time...and I don't include my "physical stats" to brag or anything, but rather just to illustrate the ignorance some have of hiking. There's people that I think truly believe the woods are crawling with ravenous wild animals and psychos. People just can't believe I'm going in there without an AR-15 and some grenades
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

I agree with Slo-go'en, I have often had drivers with good knowledge of the local area. The person may have provided good advice (or not), hard to say without knowing your expected trip length and duration.

I usually know way more about the pros and cons of gear from listening to folks discuss it here and using the gear myself. If you are considering a piece of gear just ask here and you will get plenty of opinions. Now a good boot fitter though is nice to run into.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    And, even though I don't get the sexist comments you get, half the time people are dumb-founded that I would do such a "dangerous" thing.
    "Aren't you worried about bears?" is a common question, and the reply I've come up with is the truth: "Yes, I'm worried -- the bears always run away before I can get my camera ready for a photo."
    When someone asked if I carry a gun, I noted that I don't carry a gun* when I walk through downtown Philadelphia at night, so why should I carry such a worthless and heavy piece of equipment when I backpack?

Trust
    Ah yes, guns! Now how did I forget that when I responded earlier!

"You do pack a gun right?" seems to be the normal follow-up question I'm asked right after "Do you really hike alone." It's just amazing how many non-hikers, I've spoke to, many of whom are generally Anti-gun, who nonetheless insist that it is absolutely necessary for me to bring my pistol when I go backpacking. Over time I've given up on trying to explain to these people just how safe hiking trails really are, or how the trail is the last place I need a gun. They just refuse to accept that bears and axe murders aren't the #1 cause of death for backpackers. Now when I'm asked I just say that it's none of their business what I carry, that way they can go off assuming that I secretly have a firearm in my pack and I can go about my business without having to answer any more silly questions.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 05-27-2015 at 18:17.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Ah yes, guns! Now how did I forget that when I responded earlier!

"You do a gun right?" seems to be the normal follow-up question I'm asked right after "Do you really hike alone." It's just amazing how many non-hikers, I've spoke to, many of whom are generally Anti-gun, who nonetheless insist that it is absolutely necessary for me to bring my pistol when I go backpacking. Over time I've given up on trying to explain to these people just how safe hiking trails really are, or how the trail is the last place I need a gun. They just refuse to accept that bears and axe murders aren't the #1 cause of death for backpackers. Now when I'm asked I just say that it's none of their business what I carry, that way they can go off assuming that I secretly have a firearm in my pack and I can go about my business without having to answer any more silly questions.
    Just tell them all you need is a log to protect yourself and there are plenty out there, they're free and you don't have to carry it around; just throw it once... http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/24/us/24bear.html?_r=0

-- Title: Man Throws a Log at a Bear, Killing It

I tell you what, the toughest badest person I saw on the whole of the trail last year was a woman (can't remember her name) who I think was from Jersey and who seemed to be on a permanent yoyo mission. She was no spring chicken and carried a pack that looked to be well over 60 pounds including a large blue tarp that was wrapped around her pack in a jumble. She also carried a full sized machete as I saw her hacking up firewood for her camp which was far away from the shelter and tent spots. Most of the guys were terrified of her as she would only glare (and it was quite a glare!) at you when passing by, though she did talk to some the female hikers. I wonder what happened to her? Anyone out there know who I'm talking about?
    I bring this up because I could just imagine her at an REI type store with a nervous salesperson trying to help her out explaining that she needs a "woman's backpack" ...I'd pay to see that!

Quote Originally Posted by Hangfire View Post
    I tell you what, the toughest badest person I saw on the whole of the trail last year was a woman (can't remember her name) who I think was from Jersey and who seemed to be on a permanent yoyo mission. She was no spring chicken and carried a pack that looked to be well over 60 pounds including a large blue tarp that was wrapped around her pack in a jumble. She also carried a full sized machete as I saw her hacking up firewood for her camp which was far away from the shelter and tent spots. Most of the guys were terrified of her as she would only glare (and it was quite a glare!) at you when passing by, though she did talk to some the female hikers. I wonder what happened to her? Anyone out there know who I'm talking about?
    I bring this up because I could just imagine her at an REI type store with a nervous salesperson trying to help her out explaining that she needs a "woman's backpack" ...I'd pay to see that!
    I hiked with a girl named Bright Eyes and she carried a heavy pack also, much heavier than the guys and she could hike. Very tough, but she didn't carry a machete; however, she was curvy

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I hike alone all the time...doing a 60+ section in july for my 60th birthday. I get more "alone" comments from family than from strangers. I carry bear spray for the possibility of 2 legged pests of the human variety, furry beasts don't bother me at all. Have a great hike!!

So I'm a female, 44, section hiking for the first time. I grew up camping, backpacking and hiking, am fit, and have trained well, hiking over 200 miles carrying 25 lbs. in preparation for my 165 mile section of the AT.

In the course of my prep, I've been told by the shuttle service I tried to hire that my hike plans are too ambitious and I should not expect to complete the section I have planned. (Needless to say I hired a different service.)
    Why would you care if someone made a comment like this?

I was treated by the sales guy at REI like I'm magical because I (gasp!) seem to know what I'm doing. (Thanks to you all and Youtube!)
    Maybe he was excited about talking to someone knowledgeable in the subject matter. It's change of pace from having to constantly talk about the basics.

Same guy also called me "curvy."
    A modern politically correct term. Looks like he was being polite with helping you in selecting the proper backpack and hip belt according to your body dimensions.

And the backpack I bought had a flower hair tie on it. Yes, a flower. Because apparently they must specify that this is for a lady and appeal to my inherent feminine side. The don't dangle footballs or penises off the "male" packs because, you know, we already assume they are for men.
    Overreact much?

And everyone asks me, "You're hiking ALONE??" As though the trail is especially dangerous for me alone as a woman.
    I'm asked stuff like this all the time. These are common questions asked by those inexperienced with wilderness adventures.

My question is, do you men have to deal with this s**t? Seriously. Please tell me I'm just being overly sensitive. You know, cause I'm a girl and we're very sensitive. (Lol!)
    It's only s**t if you are of weak character. You might need some growing up to do.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Can't wait to get on the trail in two weeks! Hope to meet some of you there. HYOH!
    Have fun on the trail....

.... Please tell me I'm just being overly sensitive. ...
    OK. You are being overly sensitive. If others doubt you, so what? Will their skepticism prevent you from reaching your goals? Did the backpack with a flower fit you better than those without? Perhaps it did so because it was designed for someone "curvy". Perhaps you are finding insults where none was intended.

You choose your own attitude. If you take everything as a slight, your days will be filled with grief.

As a gal, I get this too! I think it is especially bad with people from my home town because we are not in a hiking community.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++