WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Treating cuben fiber with permethrin

I treat all of my clothes and would like to treat my arc blast for my next trip. Anyone have any issues or concerns with using permethrin on cuben fiber?

From Sawyer's FAQs:

Will Permethrin bond to Cuben Fiber?

Cuben Fiber is a high tech laminated material. The top layer is polyester which permetherin will bond to; however, permethrin will not bond to the inner layers of Cuben Fiber. Therefore, permethrin cannot be applied to Cuben Fiber the same way it is applied to other fibers. It will (depending on the size of the material) probably take a few “wettings” to get the necessary 3 ounces dose of permetherin onto the fabric.
    To apply permethrin correctly use this process spray the object, let it dry, spray again, let it dry, and spray again. If unabsorbed permethrin drips off the Cuben Fiber catch the drippings and reuse the permethrin. Apply as evenly as possible to the Cuben Fiber until the 3 ounce application is fully absorbed.

Journal Entries

since the outside is nylon fabric, yeah it should work. It will soak into the fabric.

It works and has extended the life of one of my older tarps

The outer face fabric of hybrid cuben(like your pack is made from) is polyester which does not absorb anything very well. Your permethrin treatment will wash out very quickly. I would save your money.

Ryan

++ New Posts ++