WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 59 of 142 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 2836

As we go the last 200 miles, what is the record of pages for a single post? Given the last few days, this has the capability of being up to a significant number <pulling out $20's looking for the pool>

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Steger View Post
    caribou valley road would be a 50.3 mile day and looks like 23 hours to do it 3 am...he started at 4 am this morning
    I don't this math of yours. You already said it will take him to 4am to get to 27/16. Caribou valley road is 8 miles short of 16.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    Go to their profile and on the left is a link where you can add them to your ignore list.
    Thanks, done.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    From the perspective of an introvert it might be a big negative doing that. But those who know him say he gets huge energy from others so that might make it worth it for him. He needs lots of energy!
    I agree that he draws off the support and well-wishes. At this point, in the woods of Maine, it just comes down to whether there's enough of him left to stay upright another couple hundred miles - forget healthy or pain free, those are out the window - and move forward fast enough over rocks and roots and hill, mountain and mire. This has been tougher than he expected. Can he finish it in time? Maybe. Hoping for the best for him, for good health most of all.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    I agree that he draws off the support and well-wishes. At this point, in the woods of Maine, it just comes down to whether there's enough of him left to stay upright another couple hundred miles - forget healthy or pain free, those are out the window - and move forward fast enough over rocks and roots and hill, mountain and mire. This has been tougher than he expected. Can he finish it in time? Maybe. Hoping for the best for him, for good health most of all.
    Being that kind of person I hope there are some of his support crew who make the whole distance with him. An introvert like Anish feeds off the inner demon so that company is not really needed. But if you need it and you are alone managing the mental aspect gets harder.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    As we go the last 200 miles, what is the record of pages for a single post? Given the last few days, this has the capability of being up to a significant number <pulling out $20's looking for the pool>
    Not even close. I think that the record must be held by this thread....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...oys-cyber-cafe

R.I.P

Images

Being that kind of person I hope there are some of his support crew who make the whole distance with him. An introvert like Anish feeds off the inner demon so that company is not really needed. But if you need it and you are alone managing the mental aspect gets harder.
    It seems clear he's got plenty of people supporting him and his accompanied every foot of his hike at this point. Does he have enough left is what it comes down to now - with as many friends as he can muster, he's still gotta grind out those miles. The next 48 hours should tell us where the informed skeptics here or the optimists are right. I'm a confirmed fence-sitter at this point, leaning to the skeptic side.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Not even close. I think that the record must be held by this thread....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...oys-cyber-cafe

R.I.P
    Wow... you are right, not even in the same time zone <stuffing bills back into pants>

Images

3.7 miles in the last 70 minutes. I know, I know, probably easy terrain but it has some hills. I guess my point is that I'm glad to see him doing 3+MPH at least some of the time. If he were completely tuckered, seems like it would be slower.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    3.7 miles in the last 70 minutes. I know, I know, probably easy terrain but it has some hills. I guess my point is that I'm glad to see him doing 3+MPH at least some of the time. If he were completely tuckered, seems like it would be slower.
    Where is he?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    It seems clear he's got plenty of people supporting him and his accompanied every foot of his hike at this point. Does he have enough left is what it comes down to now - with as many friends as he can muster, he's still gotta grind out those miles. The next 48 hours should tell us where the informed skeptics here or the optimists are right. I'm a confirmed fence-sitter at this point, leaning to the skeptic side.
    Yeah, in my mind he has definitely crossed into the realm of "There is no way he can pull this off at this point." as I just see too many hurdles in the way now. But that is part of the reason to watch also (I'm a little addicted at this point) because now is the moment when those special humans jump up on occasion and show us what we are actually capable of doing.

Images

By my reckoning, if he can get to Pierce Pond or so by close of hiking tomorrow/Thurs am, he's still in the hunt. Another day puts him into Monson or a bit past, leaving him the weekend to cover the last 150 miles or so. It's gonna be close. Good to see him going faster - first hopeful sign in a while.

GAME 06

Umm is your math right? I get 80 mins for 4.7 miles. So 2.78 mph. Or is my math wrong?

Images

Past Rt 4, heading up Saddleback. You can see here...

https://share.delorme.com/scottjurek

Images

Yeah, in my mind he has definitely crossed into the realm of "There is no way he can pull this off at this point." as I just see too many hurdles in the way now. But that is part of the reason to watch also (I'm a little addicted at this point) because now is the moment when those special humans jump up on occasion and show us what we are actually capable of doing.
    And no question he's that sort of person. He's done similarly amazing things before. One thing seems clear - he won't be shattering Jen's record if he breaks it. I'm sure he'd sign for 4 pm Sunday right now.

Images

Umm is your math right? I get 80 mins for 4.7 miles. So 2.78 mph. Or is my math wrong?
    My math is CRAP today. I'm trying to do two things at once, failing miserably (at this one). Your math seems right, sorry.

Images

And yes, we're all a bit addicted now, as we were four years ago with Jen.

GAME 06

I keep finding myself thinking about how bruised up he must be right now. I may be a little clumsy of course but I must have fallen on my butt about 30 times from the Whites north to Katahdin. I had bruises everywhere. He has to have fallen down a lot of times by now and with little time to heal up like a regular hiker it seems as if that would be an issue.

Journal Entries
    Images

Not exactly sure where Scott started his day, but if he was in Grafton Notch he would have 264 miles to go and 132 hours to make them,

If he slept or rested 6 hours out of every 24, he would have about 100 hours to cover those 264 miles.

That is 2.64 miles per hour average.

In the final analysis Scott is a trail runner, and runners can run. I think he will find a way to do that-- simply because he is all in and different from most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Past Rt 4, heading up Saddleback. You can see here...

https://share.delorme.com/scottjurek
    Thank you. I have that link at home. It won't work on my phone. Going in from 4 and past Piazza is easy. The climb up Saddleback has a few staples. Nothing scary. Over Saddleback is okay. He should be making time in this area. A harder stretch is just ahead.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 07-07-2015 at 17:04.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Page 59 of 142 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 109 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++