WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 142 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Hats off to anyone attempting this, the AT is brutal, I was on the CDT this weekend, what FANTASTIC foot tread.

There was a guy a few years back, "Nature Boy", Willy Syndram, he was crushing it, unsupported until her got bonked on the head outside of Waynesboro.

The thought of hiking 47+ miles per day on the AT, every day, for a month and a half with no zero's is incomprehensive to me.
    Apparently you are unfamiliar with the BS claims made by Nature Boy over the years prior to that one.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Wow, so sorry to hear that. I spoke with him a few times, was behind him on the trail that year with other "speed hikers" that were just ahead of me............he did run like 100+ miles in Cleveland in a race I watched online.

Have not heard from or about him in a few years, oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    I think PA will be interesting. If he copes well with its rocks, .....
    Yes, the rocks! I hope he does well in the last half of PA!

Images

Scott posted shortly ago that he's having left quad and right patellar tendon issues. Covered 49 miles Monday and 33 today. Sounds like he's trying to keep a positive mentality through difficulties. We'll see if he can recoup on the fly.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

too much running. needs to hike it

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    About how many hours is he taking to cover 50 miles, and how does that compare with those who have successfully completed their record attempts?

Or to put it another way, is Scott spending fewer hours on the trail each day?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    About how many hours is he taking to cover 50 miles, and how does that compare with those who have successfully completed their record attempts?
    Warren Doyle It is days #6 and #7. Over the same section (and time period) JPD averaged 52.3 miles per day WALKING compared to Scott's 47.4 miles per day RUNNING. 42 days is now out of the question.

Warren Doyle It is days #6 and #7. Over the same section (and time period) JPD averaged 52.3 miles per day WALKING compared to Scott's 47.4 miles per day RUNNING. 42 days is now out of the question.
    He's done so much running in his career it must be almost automatic for him to just start running, but maybe he does need to just fight that urge to run and simply hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

From the chart it looks like Scott is traveling 3.2 to 4.0 mph-- depending on the day. How does that compare to someone who is WALKING their way to a record?

From the chart it looks like Scott is traveling 3.2 to 4.0 mph-- depending on the day. How does that compare to someone who is WALKING their way to a record?
    Those numbers don't really tell you, because I can go on a bike ride (or run or hike...) and average say 15 mph one day and 20 mph another day (same route/conditions) and you would think I did my hardest ride on the day I did 20, but not so. If I didn't pace myself correctly I could have really kicked ass on the 15mph day, but soon hit the wall and after that my speed dropped dramatically, bringing me down to 15, yet had a nice relatively easy 20mph ride on the same route under the same conditions if I paced myself smartly.

So those numbers could look much different if you break up the day's average pace, in other words if he started out running his pace mid-day may have been much higher than his pace at the end of the day, whereas a fast walker would have a slower time mid-day, but about the same if not a little higher pace in the end.

But I don't know how exactly he's doing this...., but I can definitely see where someone who is "wired" to run can burn themselves out on this type of endeavor. He could start out running, which on the AT wouldn't be all that fast, then be forced to slow down and it wouldn't take much time to bring down one's average pace to that of a very accomplished walker, such as JPD.

His last post says he had never done a 300 mile week before. So it would seem his reputation has been built on going fast over "short" distances (i.e. short by AT standards).

He gave an extra pair of running shoes to a thru hiker in need. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    His last post says he had never done a 300 mile week before. So it would seem his reputation has been built on going fast over "short" distances (i.e. short by AT standards)...
    Very true. Doing a 100-mile race is a serious endurance event, but still nothing like doing a 50-mile day (+/-)...

...every day for 40'ish days

Not to speak of doing it thru the mountains of the Appalachians

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Very true. Doing a 100-mile race is a serious endurance event, but still nothing like doing a 50-mile day (+/-)...

...every day for 40'ish days

Not to speak of doing it thru the mountains of the Appalachians
    I think this is where Jen's approach of speed-walking was very smart. Minimizes the impact on the frame, toe to tip. I think Scott would be wise to adopt her approach.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Scott posted shortly ago that he's having left quad and right patellar tendon issues. Covered 49 miles Monday and 33 today. Sounds like he's trying to keep a positive mentality through difficulties. We'll see if he can recoup on the fly.
    He can't have anymore of those low 30 mile days on this portion of the trail. He's got to save those for New England. This is why starting NOBO on a FKT attempt can bite you in the butt. If he follows up with anything less than 40mi today it starts looking bleak.

Ryan

Ryan

JPD averaged 2.9mph and 15-16hr days on her hike.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    JPD averaged 2.9mph and 15-16hr days on her hike.

Ryan
    she also knew the AT inside and out before her attempt and had a crew of backpackers willing to set up camps past road crossings. the record will not be broken this year

she also knew the AT inside and out before her attempt and had a crew of backpackers willing to set up camps past road crossings. the record will not be broken this year
    I don't think he will do it either, but JPD still took the wrong trails a couple times and had some issues meeting with her crew. Which is expected of course, that happens to everyone. When someone breaks her record it will be because they matched her pace in the South/Mid-Atlantic and exceeded her pace in New England. She's got a couple soft days up there, but I think the rest are up near the theoretical maximum. Seeing others try to break her record really shows you how superhuman her current record is.

Ryan

Walking is a LOT easier than running.
    I can walk 4 mph no problem.
    I can run 5 but get tired quickly.
    I agree this guy is not going to break the record this time.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Ounces are the little-death

His first couple days were being completed in 13 hours. That scared me. He since slowed down, but with how many updates the first couple days had versus how the last couple days have had close to nothing, I get the feeling he's already on his way out.
    It's almost as if the best runners in the world (Jurek, Meltzer) will have a harder time, because they've forgotten how to approach this as a back-of-the-packer. "Slow" and steady. You can't win a race in the beginning, but you can lose it.

Page 5 of 142 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++