WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 32 of 142 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 82 132 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Josh D View Post
    Looks like another slow moving day so far. From my estimation looks like it has taken him about 7 hours to cover from Mizpah to Madison, which is around 12 miles maybe? That pace isn't going to get him where he needs to be, maybe he's dealing with another injury? If his pace was that slow due to sheer fatigue it would make more sense to sleep it off then get back on the trail when you can move 2.5 - 3 mph again, gotta be something else going on.
    it really might be as simple as lack of experience with the whites, though that weird until 1am day just before the whites is still a question mark to me.

much like yesterday, 7 hours from mitzpah to madison is more in the range of what a "normal" person does. an experienced in shape, with trail legs normal person, sure, but not anywhere near a record sort of day.

20 to pinkham or 40+ to gorham. which will it be?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    What about possibly his support crew meeting him at the Imp campsite? About 2+ hours shorter than US2 for some needed rest, just thinkin' outloud....

It's gotta be Gorham. He's signing too many autographs!

Images

Carter Notch Hut is yet another option, but I think, if he feeling well and strong, he'll truck into Gorham. Figures to get to Carter Notch around 6:30, run out of daylight around Zeta Pass, so I imagine he'll have a team with him for the rough traverse from there to Gorham. With that in pocket, he could reasonably get to G Notch tomorrow/Monday am. Another two to three days to get past the Kennebec and into the stretch run.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    What about possibly his support crew meeting him at the Imp campsite? About 2+ hours shorter than US2 for some needed rest, just thinkin' outloud....
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    It's gotta be Gorham. He's signing too many autographs!
    i don't think his support folks are "hiker/campers" and yeah, too many admirers following him

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    There are only two fictional characters that we as a family regard/reference as nonfictional in our family.

Santa and Aubie (Auburn's mascot).

Scott is unreal.
    I don't know who the heck Aubie is but Sparty is definitely real.
    Trillium

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Beep Beep coming through. All trail runners must wear optic yellow apparel and employ a mandatory horn to let others know they are coming through!
    Sorry, it's a recreational trail, not a track. No gun goes off to start a race so hikers are under no obligation to move out of the way of trail runners.
    Trillium

Images

I'm a little concerned with a 5am finish, but then I don't know how much rest time he took on the way. You can only go so long without good sleep until the hallucinations take over.
    Guess we'll have to wait for the book . I'm hoping he has plan that is both adequate and flexible.
    Still, assuming he doesn't crash and burn in NH, I project the record + or - 12 hrs. A shot in the dark hunch call it.
    Go,Scott,go!

Pins and needles...pins and fv*king needles...

hope he makes gorham tonite. it gets really real after gorham

Images

hope he makes gorham tonite. it gets really real after gorham
    4:52 pm just left Pinkham Notch and is just over 21 miles to Gorham.....so if he makes Gorham....what time will he get there..3 am - 4 am......or...
    Moses is my 2012 Trail name and was given to me at Fontana Dam

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    Sorry, it's a recreational trail, not a track. No gun goes off to start a race so hikers are under no obligation to move out of the way of trail runners.
    Common courtesy calls for moving out of the way when a faster hiker approaches from behind and lets you know he or she is there and would like to pass. Trail runners have just as much right to use the trail as hikers. It is a foot trail. Trail runners are traveling by foot.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Steger View Post
    4:52 pm just left Pinkham Notch and is just over 21 miles to Gorham.....so if he makes Gorham....what time will he get there..3 am - 4 am......or...
    Are there any road options between Pinkham and Gorham? Or has he committed to getting to Gorham tonight/tomorrow morning?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Are there any road options between Pinkham and Gorham? Or has he committed to getting to Gorham tonight/tomorrow morning?
    no road the next 21 miles
    Moses is my 2012 Trail name and was given to me at Fontana Dam

It looks like he failed to get fresh batteries for his GPS. We will just have to wait and see when he arrives. Good luck Scott...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Steger View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Common courtesy calls for moving out of the way when a faster hiker approaches from behind and lets you know he or she is there and would like to pass. Trail runners have just as much right to use the trail as hikers. It is a foot trail. Trail runners are traveling by foot.
    Nope. Common courtesy says a runner should wait until there is an opportunity for him/her to pass. Just like in a car, you wait for an open lane rather than making another driver pull onto the shoulder.

Also, non-runners have just as much right to use the trail as runners. Or are you saying that runners are accorded special privileges?
    Trillium

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    Nope. Common courtesy says a runner should wait until there is an opportunity for him/her to pass. Just like in a car, you wait for an open lane rather than making another driver pull onto the shoulder.

Also, non-runners have just as much right to use the trail as runners. Or are you saying that runners are accorded special privileges?
    If you know that there's someone behind you who wants to go faster and you refuse to yield (obviously at a safe place), then that is simply being rude. I'm not interested in a semantic pissing match today and it's pretty obvious what I mean.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 78owl View Post
    It looks like he failed to get fresh batteries for his GPS. We will just have to wait and see when he arrives. Good luck Scott...
    He lost the satellites for about an hour in Pinkham Notch, it looks like. His beacon's pinging again, showing him about half way between Pinkham Notch and the ski lifts.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

If his support team isn't setting up camps, then how will they deal with the 100 mile wilderness? I guess it's not really wilderness and there's a place in the middle where people resupply? Maybe they will place the van there and he does two back to back 50s?

Page 32 of 142 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 82 132 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++