WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 39 of 142 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 139 ... LastLast

Journal Entries

My guess is Mr. Doyle, and a few others, would rather the record belong to a hiker, someone that loves and appreciates the trail, not someone that uses it for another notch in their crown.

Cant argue with the sentiment. Especially as it relates to being a spokesperson for the AT.

But Jurek has the right to set the bar higher if he can. I dont think he will set it so high it cant be broken again though.

1 day off the record, is just 1 more mile per day.

GAME 06

Uriah

Yes, exactly on the TR quote.

But that last bit sort of missed didn't it. Doyle fits the bill of the TR quote just as much as Jurek does. If he took offense at the 'crush' and 'masterpiece' words or he is a little testy that other athletes are moving onto his turf he earned the right to speak up because Jurek is following in his footsteps. It is likely a respect thing to him.

The rest of us are just spectators. But we are not talking about anything important here. This is all just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    My guess is Mr. Doyle, and a few others, would rather the record belong to a hiker, someone that loves and appreciates the trail, not someone that uses it for another notch in their crown.

Cant argue with the sentiment. Especially as it relates to being a spokesperson for the AT.

But Jurek has the right to set the bar higher if he can. I dont think he will set it so high it cant be broken again though.

1 day off the record, is just 1 more mile per day.
    42 days was the goal for Jurek. Soon that goal became unrealistic, but I don't think it was impossible. If everything went great for Jurek, it coul have been done. Someone, someday will get it to that number - hiker or runner?

To the AT record being "another notch in their crown," it may be that way to an extent with Jurek. Some may look at it that way based on his comment about it being his "masterpiece." But, it is also probably a lot about testing what he can do, achieving a really tough goal, etc. I hope it is not interpreted as Jurek only wanting this because of the trophy at the end. I am sure it means much more than that. Jurek surely appreciates the AT and has commented on the history and social aspect as being big motivators.

Quote Originally Posted by jdx1177 View Post
    I know I'm behind but I just got back from a trip. We actually saw him taking a ten minute break at Zealand Hut midday on Friday, looked like he had three support people with him at the time. He looked soooo out of it, just kinda zombie like, but in good spirits if that makes sense. Hope he makes it. The support guy was even picking potato chip crumbs off his shirt for him.
    I just got home from a 3 day shakedown hike from Norwich to The Maine Junction (SoBo). I asked every thru (that would talk to me) if they saw the blur named Scott Jurek go by them. I was surprised at the answers. Almost every one of them recognized the herculean effort. The part that surprised me was the collective irritation they had at the lengths his supporters are trying to help. The crumb story above is an example of the type of thing that is tweaking the thru's behind him. Let me be clear. I don't care what his helpers do. If he steps on the ground from Springer to Katahdin, that is good enough for me. Quite frankly any opinion is secondary to what Scott is accomplishing. I was just surprised at the fairly consistent sentiment.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I just got home from a 3 day shakedown hike from Norwich to The Maine Junction (SoBo). I asked every thru (that would talk to me) if they saw the blur named Scott Jurek go by them. I was surprised at the answers. Almost every one of them recognized the herculean effort. The part that surprised me was the collective irritation they had at the lengths his supporters are trying to help. The crumb story above is an example of the type of thing that is tweaking the thru's behind him. Let me be clear. I don't care what his helpers do. If he steps on the ground from Springer to Katahdin, that is good enough for me. Quite frankly any opinion is secondary to what Scott is accomplishing. I was just surprised at the fairly consistent sentiment.
    Pretty funny sentiments from a bunch of folks who slurp up all of that Trail Magic isn't it?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Its typical to receive lots of support. Supporters will even carry hikers water and snacks so they dont have to.

I dont have the impression JPD received such sentiment by others.

Whats the difference?

Jenn was real. You saw pain in her face photos. Blog told the real story, tears, pain, mental challenges, etc.

Jurek is forced smiles and sponsor logos and staff photographer.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-06-2015 at 00:19.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenRunning View Post
    To the AT record being "another notch in their crown," it may be that way to an extent with Jurek. Some may look at it that way based on his comment about it being his "masterpiece." But, it is also probably a lot about testing what he can do, achieving a really tough goal, etc. I hope it is not interpreted as Jurek only wanting this because of the trophy at the end. I am sure it means much more than that. Jurek surely appreciates the AT and has commented on the history and social aspect as being big motivators.
    It is really hard for me to believe that someone could be accused of going for the AT record because of the fame and fortune that awaits them on top of Katahdin (or Springer.) Let's be honest, no one besides us gives a damn about this record anyway, so what's the point in going after it other than there being a fire burning inside you to see what you can put yourself through to accomplish a huge goal? If Scott was after fame and fortune he would be doing something more main stream, then writing a book about it. He could write a book about the AT but I doubt it would really appeal to the masses

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Josh D View Post
    I bet his 42 plan was nothing more than "I can hike/run 52 miles per day for 42 days over that terrain" seems achievable, and I think it will be achieved some day, but it will be tough to put into practice.
    I think at a certain point you start to bump up against the limits of human capability. Note that the marathon record is not plummetting lower, nor is the 100 meter or other distances. Edging down, all of them. I'd suggest Scott is demonstrating that Jen came pretty close to maxxing the possible. He may yet better her time, but it won't be by much, and he's reputedly the best in the world. That says a lot.

I'd posit that 42 days is not going to be hit any time in the next 50 years. One can say, "Well, if Jen didn't get sick in the Whites ..." or "If Scott didn't get injured in the Smokies ...", but that's the deal. You cannot subject your body to the strain and test that the AT FKT is without it at least breaking down at the margins. So far, both Jen and Scott have enjoyed near perfect weather for their trips. Yes, wet and sloppy for Scott in VT, and pretty crummy for Jen in the Presidentials, but that's a lot better than godawful weather across the board in the Whites and western Maine, which could always happen.

Scott's gotta get past the Bigelows in good weather, he hopes, or at least passable, then weather whatever rain comes Wed and Thurs, perhaps traversing the Bigs, if he can, in rain Wednesday. But he's been very fortunate that the weather looks to have smiled on him through most of the hardest part of the trek.

When all is said and done, I'd bet Scott will tell you what Jen would - it would be very difficult for either of them, or anyone, much to improve on what they did. Scott might could shave off a day by virtue of course knowledge on a future attempt, but two days would be pushing it, hard, I think. The A.T. especially its northern precincts, is no joke.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Its typical to receive lots of support. Supporters will even carry hikers water and snacks so they dont have to.

Whats the difference?

Jenn was real. You saw pain in her face photos. Blog told the real story, tears, pain, mental challenges, etc.

I don't think Jurek's smiles in relation to his sponsors should be looked into as much as people think. How is Jurek's attempt any less real than JPD's? Because of smiles in photographs? Maybe it is just Scott's personality to smile when posing for photo's?? Who knows. Again, "hike your own hike." I do not think this is a sponsor ploy for Jurek. This is too hard of a journey to do it for the sponsors!! I'd pick something much easier . Jurek is personal friends with the "staff photographer" so it is not like Brooks of UD hired a bunch of people to be his "staff." All of his support crew are personal friends from what I can tell (Jenny, Horton, Mark Godale, Speedgoat, etc. etc.). They may be financing this for Scott, but why is that so bad - JPD had to finance her journey in some way, one is no more righteous than the other in my opinion.

Yes, very typical and NECESSARY for a huge amount of support to do a record attempt. Jenn probably had even more support in terms of hiking in with gear, food, etc. than Scott has at this point. It is a very similar method for both.

Images

Whats the difference?

I agree somewhat there. I think part of Scott's approach, though, is to will himself to success through positive thinking, even in the face of obvious tumult and strain. Brew and Jen's approach was different in this regard, but I think it's uncharitable to conclude that Scott's sometimes forced smiles are dishonest. More, I think, the force of an intense will shining through enormous difficulty, gathering all the force it can to meet the desired goal. A lot to respect there.

Scott has accepted and welcomed and planned on a more open-source hike than Jen. I wondered four years ago how an approach like Scott's would fare in comparison with Jen's more closed-source, guarded approach. We're finding out. I think there are merits in each and pay my heartfelt respect to both these amazing human athletic specimens.

Images

PS: If Scott falls short and posts the second fastest time, I think it would be a bit of a wry irony and no insult to refer to him as holding the Men's FKT and Jen the FKT.

Every record attempt from here on with regards to the AT will be very close and as we are finding out, just like in a lot of sporting championships, at this level, it will come down to the very end. It is no longer a point in time when the AT record will be dropped by 4-5 days at time like it was before Andrew Thompson. Like Jureks attempt, miles matter, and the +- will be scrutinized the entire attempt, which for me, and all of us following, makes it a fun "viewing" experience!

Images

I think what Scott learned early in this trek, the hard way, is the wisdom of Jen's speed-walking approach. Minimizes the banging and rattling on the skeleto-muscular structure a lot in comparison with running, especially on the downhills. As a heavier hiker, I'm acutely aware, especially in the Whites, of the impact of descending long, rocky grades. The less you weigh, the less the impact, which is great for Jen and Scott, but to do the trip so fast and so long every day gives little room for recovery.

As a result, it is vital to maximize speed subject to the constraint of minizing jolt on the frame. Speed walking is thus the sweet spot, with runs in certain flat or soft stretches a welcome and acceptable deviation.

That being the case, the person who beats Scott or Jen's record, I'd venture, will be a speed walker who is a bit taller and longer-legged than Jen. It's possible that she's close to ideal proportions and height for this task, the Michael Phelps of the AT, but I'd be inclined to believe that there's somebody out there with a touch longer legs, maybe a man, maybe a woman, similarly slender, who could match her stride for stride and eke out a mile or a half-mile a day from a similar number of steps per day.

Images

Eke out an extra mile/half mile per day, that is ...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    I agree somewhat there. I think part of Scott's approach, though, is to will himself to success through positive thinking, even in the face of obvious tumult and strain. Brew and Jen's approach was different in this regard, but I think it's uncharitable to conclude that Scott's sometimes forced smiles are dishonest.
    Scott passed us during his low mileage day on Friday about 3 miles short of his waiting van. Not exactly the high point of his trip to say the least.

I asked him if he was Scott and he said yes asked me if I was going to Maine. With that simple friendly reply he and his crew went past, but with about a dozen or so well-wishers (runners) slowly tagging behind to share some part of his journey.

Glad to see him looking much stronger on his Facebook page -- but what is with the bandage on his knee?

Journal Entries
    Images

What happens if Scott reaches the Ranger Station at KSCG after the 12PM cut off time they impose to climb Katahdin?

Common sense would suggest they would make a exception, but BSP is a unique place with unique rules and values.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    What happens if Scott reaches the Ranger Station at KSCG after the 12PM cut off time they impose to climb Katahdin?

Common sense would suggest they would make a exception, but BSP is a unique place with unique rules and values.
    they made an exception for the one legged hiker who used a cell phone to call for help and they helicoptered him out

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

How about the entourage of a dozen or more people?

he needs to do 40+ per day from here on out

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    he needs to do 40+ per day from here on out
    and given his mileage the past few days theres no reason to think he can do 40 a day until he reaches caratunk, by the time he gets there hes going to need to do more than that to get the record.

i knew this was in trouble the second it took him til 1am to get to 25A. you all can be impressed all you want with hiking that many hours, hiking all night to get to galehead, etc, but those weren't good signs, to think they were was deluding yourselves.

Page 39 of 142 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 139 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++