WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 99 of 142 FirstFirst ... 49 89 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2836

Quote Originally Posted by godoit View Post
    And his hike is more important than mine.
    It is not "more important" than any other person's hike.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries

I like Lynn523 have been following but not posting. I say...Go Scott, Go!!!!!!
    Tridavis

Looks like he's just covered 6.9 miles in 1:45.

Kokadjo B Pond Road 2116.2 to JoMary Road 2123.1.
    http://tnlandforms.us/google.php?lat...&trk=atparking
    Think the totals from this
    site are a little out of date, but the difference should be unchanged.

Jo-Mary Rd at 10:31. 56 miles to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    With Scott being a thru-hiker (technically speaking) and since the Hunt Trail will be open on this gorgeous day, there is nothing to stop HIM from going up the mountain if he gets to the base in the middle of the night, or early morning... He just simply has to keep following the trail. The ranger station at KSC doesn't open until 7am, but he technically doesn't have to stop and check-in - he can sign the clipboard at the base.

He would not need to deal with the park for that. His crew (and anyone going through the gates) would be another story - day use permits are hard to come by this time of year and the lots tend to fill fast.
    Recall that JPD went up Katahdin in the middle of the night so she could have a sunrise start from the summit.

I wish we had a graph showing the small amount of rest he has had since just before the Whites. I don't think I could pull off his sleep deprivation just sitting on a couch let alone completing nearly daily double marathons.

Anyone know a good Twitter account to follow with Scott's progress.
    Although I love the updates from this forum, I'll be out and about today and it will be easier to follow by Twitter on my phone.

ccartertn

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    I wish we had a graph showing the small amount of rest he has had since just before the Whites. I don't think I could pull off his sleep deprivation just sitting on a couch let alone completing nearly daily double marathons.
    As much as I obviously like to graph things that one would be hard since the GPS pings at overnight stops are rare and it's hard to know exactly when he arrives at a stopping point. Over-nights are not too bad, but we don't really know what cat naps he may have been taken in the middle of the day. He has taken numerous mid-day breaks which could have been sleeping, but also could have been for eating, resting, taking pictures, recharging GPS, etc... Perhaps he has kept a more detailed log of the whole trip and will publish it after the trek.

Just posting to say thanks to everyone. I've enjoyed following along. I was already impressed with Scott and only grow more impressed with Jennifer as I monitor this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Recall that JPD went up Katahdin in the middle of the night so she could have a sunrise start from the summit.
    A few years back several GAMErs went up to finish during the August meteor shower and were treated to a surprise show from the Northern Lights.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by Riocielo View Post
    I wonder what is the percentage of WB members who have contributed to this thread?
    Not sure of the % but +160 have posted so far.
    FWIW Birdbrain (121 posts) just passed tdoczi (120)

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    A few years back several GAMErs went up to finish during the August meteor shower and were treated to a surprise show from the Northern Lights.
    How common is it to see the Northern Lights on Katahdin? One day I hope to see them!

RE SJ's final climb: I doubt he'll be going for the FKT on the Katahdin ascent after all he's been through. I suspect his pace will be closer to the other hikers' maybe a jog to the finish once on the Tablelands, but not expecting a sprint...

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    How common is it to see the Northern Lights on Katahdin?
    Not uncommon, you're above 45 degrees. Last good show was June 22/23.
    Teej

I am so interested to find out what his emotions are from the moment he got within 100 miles. I hope he is able to recall (on little to no sleep) his thoughts and feelings as he knocked down each mile.

I wonder if he is singing "99 miles to go on the trail, 99 miles to go...you run one down, a step closer to (whatever makes sense and rhymes with down)...98 miles to go on the trail........

This is an amazing showing of endurance to completely understate it!
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    It is not "more important" than any other person's hike.
    OK, but I was just speaking for mine, no one else's.

Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    I am so interested to find out what his emotions are from the moment he got within 100 miles. I hope he is able to recall (on little to no sleep) his thoughts and feelings as he knocked down each mile.

I wonder if he is singing "99 miles to go on the trail, 99 miles to go...you run one down, a step closer to (whatever makes sense and rhymes with down)...98 miles to go on the trail........

This is an amazing showing of endurance to completely understate it!
    His "Masterpiece" will not be the record, which in my mind he will kind of share with JPD, but proving what a human being can do.

well, I'm clearly late to the party. I think any coverage of this outside WhiteBlaze and Ultrarunner magazine would be just great. I just don't think they'll pre-empt Meet the Press for this. Two thoughts: Go Scott Go! and who's next?

I wonder how many times he has called out "on your left"? on your left

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    Looks like he's just covered 6.9 miles in 1:45.

Kokadjo B Pond Road 2116.2 to JoMary Road 2123.1.
    http://tnlandforms.us/google.php?lat...&trk=atparking
    Think the totals from this
    site are a little out of date, but the difference should be unchanged.
    The data between points should be good, the mileage in Maine hasn't changed more than .5 miles in 5 years. It's only overall mileage from relos further south that add to the total miles.

PS Actual miles are 2,126.3 for Kokadjo B Pond Road and 2,133.2 for JoMary Road

The AT Distance Calculator is up-to-date but has fewer total points.

http://www.atdist.com/

Quote Originally Posted by godoit View Post
    His "Masterpiece" will not be the record, which in my mind he will kind of share with JPD.
    I agree with this and view false precision at this distance as kind of foolish. All AT efforts within a similar time range will be viewed as more or less equal - at least in my mind. Like a top ten AT hall of fame or something.

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    Not sure of the % but +160 have posted so far.
    FWIW Birdbrain (121 posts) just passed tdoczi (120)
    tdoczi has been conspicuously silent the past few days...
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Page 99 of 142 FirstFirst ... 49 89 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 109 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++