WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 142 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 ... LastLast

There's also a self-supported attempt in progress right now. I think Grayson Cobb is a week or so south of Katahdin and rolling along pretty well towards GA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    She is planning on doing a supported hike in 55 days. http://www.epicatrun.com/#!about/aboutPage

Good to see Scott will have some competition out there.

i supported a friend back in the day. he walked it in 55 days, 20 hours

Journal Entries
    Images

I may have to rethink veganism.

Scott stayed at Hogwallow Gap last night. Looks like he will be pushing thru Harpers Ferry tomorrow.

He's not saying much about what he's eating but I would suspect that he's eating a very high fat diet, perhaps ketogenic. He mentions some of his favorite high-fat foods in his book Eat and Run. It's hard to imagine him doing this eating vegetables and simple carbs. But tapping his body fat gives him hundreds of thousands of readily available calories. So, veganism might be only part of the story. I wonder if ketones are his "secret weapon".

He's not saying much about what he's eating but I would suspect that he's eating a very high fat diet, perhaps ketogenic. He mentions some of his favorite high-fat foods in his book Eat and Run. It's hard to imagine him doing this eating vegetables and simple carbs. But tapping his body fat gives him hundreds of thousands of readily available calories. So, veganism might be only part of the story. I wonder if ketones are his "secret weapon".

From his Instagram account: Day 19 - SNP 51.9 miles; Day 20 - to Hogwallow Gap 54.2 miles

Images

He ran with Karl on Day 20, that's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    He ran with Karl on Day 20, that's pretty cool.
    Kayak Karl?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ExNihilo View Post
    Kayak Karl?
    HAHA, no, not Kayak Karl. But that would be kinda cool too.
    Speedgoat Karl Meltzer, another ultra runner who twice attempted an AT record and holds the fifth fastest time.

Images

His eating baffled me a bit I was expecting to see a higher caloric intake during the day. I crewed for him from Damascus to Massie Gap and didn't see a massive amout of calories being consumed. I took him an avacado(I think) and a large order of tater tots but I don't think he ate all those. He had eaten some protein bars along the way and I left him with a batch of chocolate hemp bars protein bars that I'd made. Karl Meltzer in 2008 on the other hand ate like a wolf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SRMartin View Post
    From his Instagram account: Day 19 - SNP 51.9 miles; Day 20 - to Hogwallow Gap 54.2 miles
    That's encouraging for his prospects. He needs to make some time before he gets to Moosilauke. By my reckoning, he wants to be to Glencliff by 16 from now, faster than that would be very hard, even for him. Then a day to F Notch, another to W Summit ) (thinking of road crossings), another to Gorham, another to G Notch. If he can pull all that off - boggles my mind - he'll have six and a half days to summit K in order to tie Jen. Doable for him, but not much margin for error.

I see no way for him to reach his initial 42 day goal, but 44+ seems possible on the high end, 45-47 more likely. He looks to be in the running, so to speak.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    That's encouraging for his prospects. He needs to make some time before he gets to Moosilauke. By my reckoning, he wants to be to Glencliff by 16 from now, faster than that would be very hard, even for him. Then a day to F Notch, another to W Summit ) (thinking of road crossings), another to Gorham, another to G Notch. If he can pull all that off - boggles my mind - he'll have six and a half days to summit K in order to tie Jen. Doable for him, but not much margin for error.

I see no way for him to reach his initial 42 day goal, but 44+ seems possible on the high end, 45-47 more likely. He looks to be in the running, so to speak.
    From his GPS tracker it looks like he made it to WV9 - Keys Gap yesterday which is a 57.1 mile day - his biggest yet. With that he picked up almost 6 miles on the JPD pace (now about about 34 miles behind). He soon will be coming up on a stretch where JPD was struggling so can make up more time. He's almost 28 miles ahead of the equal mile per day pace, but that doesn't take into account the difficulties in NH and ME. Also, JPD got stronger as she went and Scott seems to be doing the same which puts him at a disadvantage at the beginning with an opportunity to make up time at the end.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

I give Scott credit for being upfront, open and timely on his progress. We can follow him in real time. Other hikers attempting the record were vague or delayed in revealing their progress under the guise of "security". He's the real deal and has nothing to hide. It's fun to watch.

Looking at some of his accomplishments, one event stands out to me. His 2nd place finish at the 2010 IAU 24 Hour World Championships. Scott ran 6.5 marathons (167.7 miles) in one day. I know that's on a road and not the AT but it shows that this is someone who fully capable of pushing himself beyond normal limits for sure.

Images

Here is Scott's post on FB from about an hour ago.
    "Completed the four state challenge yesterday: Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania in a day. Made it to PA in the daylight and finished a 49 mile day after 54 and 57 mile days. First time in a while that I've finished before dark, feels so good! Maryland was a little training gym for the rocks of Pennsylvania!"

Looks like he finished day 22 at PA 16. 49.8 miles

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Here is Scott's post on FB from about an hour ago.
    "Completed the four state challenge yesterday: Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania in a day. Made it to PA in the daylight and finished a 49 mile day after 54 and 57 mile days. First time in a while that I've finished before dark, feels so good! Maryland was a little training gym for the rocks of Pennsylvania!"
    Maryland is one rocky state and actually much more rocky than much of Pennsylvania, especially in the south of Penn.

Penn gets all the notoriety from that one section.

Page 11 of 142 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++