WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 34 of 142 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 84 134 ... LastLast
    GAME 06

I never knew that. Txs it will give me an excuse to catch my breath.

And on the flip side it means a traffic jam because everyone stops.

I don't want to proselytize Jurek too much here, but I read this article on him written in 2010. I think it would be good for the hikers on this page to give it a read to get to know him a bit before making opinions on him. If gives good insight on his background and experiences and his motivation in general. I am not saying Jurek will get the record 100%, but he has come from the depths of despair before when it seems impossible. He has a lifetime of experiences of doing so! This AT attempt is so much different than WS and Badwater, etc. but it will be interesting to see if he can summon up the strength here as the going is getting tough in the Whites with ~300 miles to go.

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-...t-jureks-story

"At the 2005 Badwater, after 70 miles in Death Valley, Jurek started shaking, and vomiting, then collapsed onto the roadside. For 10 minutes, he didn't move. Then he got up and shattered the course record..... Jurek had lost his way before, in the Black Hills of South Dakota, but through hard work, and focus, and belief in the redemptive powers of just forging ahead, he'd been saved. Jerker's head snapped up, and the two friends tore uphill together, and kept running until Jurek had won his second straight Badwater."

Images

I not sure how the right of way discussion began, but and I am probably wrong, I have always stopped going down hill to let the guy coming up hill to keep his momentum going. Works for me.

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

He's back to full-beast mode. It's midnight and he's well past North Carter Mtn.

Gorham by 3:30am.
    Everything is easy until you do it.

scott's still going at midnight. About 10 miles from Gorham, it's looking like another 24 hour 40 mile day. Whether it makes sense to any of us or not, I don't think there's any argument, it sure is entertaining!!

I've been quietly watching now since the beginning and I find it comical that we even question what he does. This is a different type of person doing something none of us could imagine ever happening (especially these last for our so days). It's fun to doubt, but we simply just don't understand what he is and how he does what he does. I'm routing for him and I'm routing for him to do it on about 12 hrs of sleep these last 300 or so miles. I bet he just could too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Images

Looks like he might be resting at Imp Shelter. No ping from the beacon in 45 minutes. Maybe a short rest there, then another at Gorham, and on through the mighty Mahoosucs.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Looks like he might be resting at Imp Shelter. No ping from the beacon in 45 minutes. Maybe a short rest there, then another at Gorham, and on through the mighty Mahoosucs.
    It also could be that the tracker lost battery life. It was on low since before Pinkham Notch.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If they were running, an 18 hr day would be 80+ miles, not 50.
    You can do that at the end, when you can risk exhaustion and injury.

yeah, they call it trail running, but all but the most elite runners, actually walk uphill.
    Same for ultras, running/walking alternating has been proven faster than just running for most people. Not to mention naps.
    Better go back and reread my posts. I never said FKTers would necessarily RUN the entire distance of LONG trails like the AT. We're talking about the ELITE(the best of the best) though ....the FKTers. No doubt though for shorter distance routes/trails running the whole distance at once with no sleep or at somewhat longer distances with some sleep between running periods can run day after day after day avg higher MPD than people who manly walk/hike when they are moving. Seems like that's what were seeing here with Jurek at times. Heck, people are labeled runners regularly but that doesn't stop them from occasionally walking or altering their pace YET THEY ARE STILL CONSIDERED AS RUNNING BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THEY MOSTLY ARE DOING.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenRunning View Post
    I don't want to proselytize Jurek too much here, but I read this article on him written in 2010. I think it would be good for the hikers on this page to give it a read to get to know him a bit before making opinions on him. If gives good insight on his background and experiences and his motivation in general. I am not saying Jurek will get the record 100%, but he has come from the depths of despair before when it seems impossible. He has a lifetime of experiences of doing so! This AT attempt is so much different than WS and Badwater, etc. but it will be interesting to see if he can summon up the strength here as the going is getting tough in the Whites with ~300 miles to go.

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-...t-jureks-story

"At the 2005 Badwater, after 70 miles in Death Valley, Jurek started shaking, and vomiting, then collapsed onto the roadside. For 10 minutes, he didn't move. Then he got up and shattered the course record..... Jurek had lost his way before, in the Black Hills of South Dakota, but through hard work, and focus, and belief in the redemptive powers of just forging ahead, he'd been saved. Jerker's head snapped up, and the two friends tore uphill together, and kept running until Jurek had won his second straight Badwater."
    I remember reading that when it first came out, holy shart more than five yrs ago, where does the time go? In the Runners World article the author describes Jurek as, "an alpha among alphas."

If he's not injured or gets injured and he has a super solid support team he'll get the AT FKT. For all the rest, no need to micro manage a conjectural debate on details of which we understand little.

Quote Originally Posted by JEBjr View Post
    I not sure how the right of way discussion began, but and I am probably wrong, I have always stopped going down hill to let the guy coming up hill to keep his momentum going. Works for me.
    As far as I know, you have it right. As I learned this back in the 1960s, the etiquette of trail ROW are similar to other activities, the slower moving and/or less maneuverable typically has the right of way. Most every time I have seen this issue pop up the consensus mirrors this, climbers have the ROW, downhill walkers who are slower have the ROW (a lot like skiing).

The downhill ROW (where climbers yield) is more of a mechanical vehicle thing (bikes and powered vehicles), which I have always felt was a poor mix on trails and I try to avoid both. Mechanicals are supposed to yield to those on foot (rare in many places by my experience), mechanicals and those on foot yield to horses on multi use trails. Anything outside of this generally observed etiquette are done out of politeness, such as standing aside for someone coming up faster behind you or coming downhill at you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JEBjr View Post
    As I am not exhibiting what most would define as momentum while hiking up hill, I yield the ROW to the down hill hiker. A bit self serving as it gives me a chance to rest and suck wind.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    A friend of mines wife had this happen to her (my buddy was in the passenger seat at the time). The cyclist was in the middle of the lane and would not move over to let her by. Too many cars coming the other way to get around him. This went on for several minutes. When the oncoming traffic cleared she drove up along side of him and slammed the car into him and catapulted him off the road. And just drove off. My buddy was shocked as you can imagine, but kind of proud of her too. I don't imagine the asshat ever did something like that again.
    Not to get sidetracked from the main thread, but…she should have been arrested and lost her license, and possibly done some jail time. Hitting a cyclist with a car is the equivalent of leaning out the window and shooting someone because they were driving 35 mph in a 70 zone…which happens all the summer long around here while tourists rubberneck at the road. You don't get to use deadly force against someone just because they annoy you.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

From the American Trail Running Association ( http://trailrunner.com/trail-news/tr...ing-rules-run/ ):
    "Uphill runners yield to downhill runners in most situations."

And from the Center for Outdoor Ethics ( https://lnt.org/blog/trail-etiquette...er-trail-users ):
    Downhill traffic should yield to uphill traffic.

"Downhill traffic should yield to uphill traffic."

You'd think these people could talk to each other.

If you’re descending a steep trail and you see hikers coming up, step off the path to let them pass - See more at: http://www.backpacker.com/skills/beg....RZRrOYVS.dpuf

From the American Trail Running Association ( http://trailrunner.com/trail-news/tr...ing-rules-run/ ):
    "Uphill runners yield to downhill runners in most situations."

And from the Center for Outdoor Ethics ( https://lnt.org/blog/trail-etiquette...er-trail-users ):

"Downhill traffic should yield to uphill traffic."

You'd think these people could talk to each other.

If you’re descending a steep trail and you see hikers coming up, step off the path to let them pass - See more at: http://www.backpacker.com/skills/beg....RZRrOYVS.dpuf

Images

Is there ANY chance at all this thread could get back, er, on track???? Anxious to hear any news... signal, at least, stuck at Imp, any actual sightings at Gorham?

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Is there ANY chance at all this thread could get back, er, on track???? Anxious to hear any news... signal, at least, stuck at Imp, any actual sightings at Gorham?
    Not until there's another update...kind of like intermission at the movies. It's better than this intermission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWFX4ylV_ko

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    What he said!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BCHiker View Post
    What he said!!
    lets say, for sake of argument and because it is more interesting than who yields and whether or not its ok to run over obnoxious cyclists, that he just HAD to stop someplace like IMP shelter because he decided he couldnt make route 2... how would that work? did someone real quick run stuff in to him? getting to imp from 16 isnt exactly easy in the middle of the night. or has someone with some basic gear been following him at night in case he needed to stop?

if he did stop IMP i dont know what hes going to do today. though if he set the precedent of spending the night at shelters that might help. though is till say the big problem and what you all arent seeing as youre blinded by being impressed by the hours he is putting in is that the guy just isnt moving fast enough.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    lets say, for sake of argument and because it is more interesting than who yields and whether or not its ok to run over obnoxious cyclists, that he just HAD to stop someplace like IMP shelter because he decided he couldnt make route 2... how would that work? did someone real quick run stuff in to him? getting to imp from 16 isnt exactly easy in the middle of the night. or has someone with some basic gear been following him at night in case he needed to stop?

if he did stop IMP i dont know what hes going to do today. though if he set the precedent of spending the night at shelters that might help. though is till say the big problem and what you all arent seeing as youre blinded by being impressed by the hours he is putting in is that the guy just isnt moving fast enough.
    It's only 8 miles (albeit, kinda tough miles) from US2 to Imp, and despite what has been said, I assume some of Scott's crew are indeed actual hikers (why would they not be?????), could not one hike south to Imp with basic overnight needs before Scott got there, Scott rest up with how many hours of sleep he can get, take off this morning, his crew mate pack up and come down at his/her leisure? That's kinda what I assumed all along when LW pointed out he either had 20 or 40 to go yesterday, I figured ~32 to Imp was a good compromise.

Page 34 of 142 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 84 134 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++