WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 100 of 142 FirstFirst ... 50 90 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 110 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2836

@scottjurek but the hashtag #sjat15 is more info.

Images

53 miles, a tad under 30 hours to go. Still hangin' at 1.8 MPH continuous...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    Not sure of the % but +160 have posted so far.
    FWIW Birdbrain (121 posts) just passed tdoczi (120)
    You may already know this, but on the "what's new" page, there is a column that lists the number of replies to the thread, if you click on that number it brings you to a link of the number of posts by wach member.

Here's the one for this thread.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/misc...osted&t=111652
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

My off the cuff prediction is he wraps this up by noon tomorrow. He seems to be moving along pretty good now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    You may already know this, but on the "what's new" page, there is a column that lists the number of replies in the thread, if you click on that number it brings you to a link of the number of posts by wach member.

Here's the one for this thread.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/misc...osted&t=111652
    Yep, that's how I came up with 160+ have posted to this thread.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by Second Half View Post
    tdoczi has been conspicuously silent the past few days...
    The doubters and naysayers have become believers, it seems. Even ol' Moan Wolf changed his tune, if you go back and read his earlier posts. Good for Jurek...proving 'em wrong once more. Athletes are forced to do this a lot, alas. But putting yourself out there, completely transparent (what with GPS, etc) is bold, no matter the outcome. There are always going to be droves of pessimists ("experts") who love shooting others down. Jealousy, envy...who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    The doubters and naysayers have become believers, it seems. Even ol' Moan Wolf changed his tune, if you go back and read his earlier posts. Good for Jurek...proving 'em wrong once more. Athletes are forced to do this a lot, alas. But putting yourself out there, completely transparent (what with GPS, etc) is bold, no matter the outcome. There are always going to be droves of pessimists ("experts") who love shooting others down. Jealousy, envy...who knows?
    LOL... Yeah, I just read the 1st five pages.

Images

I like the idea of Scott setting the new record amid a throng on a perfect day on Katahdin. Would be a fitting end to the crowd-sourced way he handled his attempt. Scott leading about a hundred hikers in a final run up the Tablelands: what a beautiful image!
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Hey, how did you figure the miles? Did you use the Delorme? I am super interested in tracking the last day. Thanks in advance for the info.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by godoit View Post
    I generally agree. But this is a exception. And his hike is more important than mine. It's not as if they closed down the trail for him.
    How is one person's hike more "important" than anothers? That's the entitlement mentality seeping out.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJoenphs View Post
    Hey, how did you figure the miles? Did you use the Delorme? I am super interested in tracking the last day. Thanks in advance for the info.
    https://share.delorme.com/scottjurek

In combination with the Companion (in PDF).

Images

I don't know if Scott's hike is more important than anyone else's but it is certainly more important for him to finish faster than anyone else.
    If I were ending my thru hike i'd gladly move out of the way and say "go get it" as he passed me.
    I can't imagine anyone not doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    How is one person's hike more "important" than anothers? That's the entitlement mentality seeping out.
    I prefer to think it is just politeness - with no political implications whatsoever.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    Most people's hikes are more important than mine. I'm just out to have fun on a short section, and I'm happy to move over to those with a specific goal (beyond getting back to the car) and miles to make.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    Our friendly neighborhood Gator took out the trash a few days ago, the unproductive posters you mention have been dragged back under the swampy waters where they belong.

As fer legitimate doubters and naysayers, they remain, as they should.

I like my pappy. He's been at this game since before it was a game anyone noticed existed. His personal entertainment occasionally gets out of hand, but is normally entertaining none the less.

Perhaps the thing to remember; these trips are so very close to the edge that to call them impossible is a near fact easily stated. Nothing wrong with facing the facts, nor stating them.
    I doubt there is a record attempter around who has not dealt with the realization of that fact. It's the acceptance of it and the desire to continue that gives them a slim chance to succeed.

Delusional optimism isn't what sets a record, but horrible pessimism and self doubt that drives you to push further and further against the impossibility.

In pappy's case, nothing much has changed and reality is what it is.
    Nothing to gloat about fer either side. If anything I find it surprising that hope and optimism has arrived in the fella before the sign's been touched.

Short and sweet: he calls em like he sees em.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Most people's hikes are more important than mine. I'm just out to have fun on a short section, and I'm happy to move over to those with a specific goal (beyond getting back to the car) and miles to make.
    I agree about moving over not being a problem for me. The important thing is that it's my choice, and not assumed by the other person
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Images

RocketSocks get ready we're approaching 2k
    Biggie

Quote Originally Posted by ccartertn View Post
    Anyone know a good Twitter account to follow with Scott's progress.
    Although I love the updates from this forum, I'll be out and about today and it will be easier to follow by Twitter on my phone.

ccartertn
    Follow the hashtag #SJAT15

Images

He's cruising along at a good pace now. Can set the r cord after a good night's sleep.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Page 100 of 142 FirstFirst ... 50 90 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 110 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++