WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 20 of 142 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 70 120 ... LastLast

JPD only bypassed the ferry because she didn't get there when it was running. The Ferry is part of the trail I don't think Scott should feel any obligation to ford the river just because JPD did.

But isn't he trying to break HER record? It seems to me then he should feel obligated to ford the river.

I think he needs to ford the river.. It doesn't matter why she didn't take the ferry. The fact is that she didn't take the ferry..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Josh D View Post
    JPD only bypassed the ferry because she didn't get there when it was running. The Ferry is part of the trail I don't think Scott should feel any obligation to ford the river just because JPD did.
    This, exactly. Are some of you saying that you won't recognize a new record by Scott if, by pure chance, the Ferry is there when he needs it and he takes it? Again, the ferry is recognized as part of the trail.

By the way, especially Mapman; thanks for post those actual status reports, very informative. Go Scott!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    This, exactly. Are some of you saying that you won't recognize a new record by Scott if, by pure chance, the Ferry is there when he needs it and he takes it? Again, the ferry is recognized as part of the trail.

By the way, especially Mapman; thanks for post those actual status reports, very informative. Go Scott!
    I would still recognize a new record if Scott took the ferry. However, I think it'd be cool if he forded the river like she did.

Journal Entries

The ferry IS the official trail. They paint a blaze on the floor of it to reinforce this with people.

One could make an argument that by not taking the ferry, you didnt hike the official AT. It wouldnt hold water with most, because fording once was the more difficult, hazardous, traditional route.

I think it would be cool if he took the ferry.

It is part of the trail, there is a blaze in the bottom of the canoe, one can ford any river, the ferry is a neat aspect of the AT.

If you'd like to have a debate on the subject;
    You could easily make the statement that JPD's record is invalid.
    The ferry is the official route.

Now if that sounds a bit silly, it stands that the inverse is equally silly.

Of historical note: I believe the crossing was more of a Doyle-ism than an a timing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Riocielo View Post
    But isn't he trying to break HER record? It seems to me then he should feel obligated to ford the river.
    what if JPD at Chili Cheese Fries every other Sunday at 1pm during her hike. does that mean Scott has to do that, too? I don't mean to sound (too) sarcastic, but I think we can get ridiculous with all this stuff. and no, I don't necessarily think it is all about breaking JPD's record, the exact way she did it. It's about being the fastest person to cover the AT on foot in a supported manner, within those guide lines, whatever the masses agree they may be .

Doesn't it depend on when he gets to the river whether the ferry is running and even whether it is on his side of the river? I don't see him waiting around for the ferry to start up or maybe not even make its way back from the other side. How hard is the ford? I've seen some videos but it is hard to tell. I know it is supposed to be dangerous if water is being released at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh D View Post
    what if JPD at Chili Cheese Fries every other Sunday at 1pm during her hike. does that mean Scott has to do that, too? I don't mean to sound (too) sarcastic, but I think we can get ridiculous with all this stuff. and no, I don't necessarily think it is all about breaking JPD's record, the exact way she did it. It's about being the fastest person to cover the AT on foot in a supported manner, within those guide lines, whatever the masses agree they may be .
    Whiteblaze at its finest. Love the sarcasm. It is truly amazing what we debate.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

During a hike this weekend, while crossing a foot bridge, I thought about an AT story I heard long ago. There was a fella who intentionally forded the river rather than take the ferry because he felt to use the ferry was a "cheat"... a kin to someone driving you a part of the way.

But when it comes to transportation, a ferry is actually the equivalent to a bridge. The only difference is that a ferry moves while a bridge is fixed (and a pontoon bridge is sort-of a hybrid). Both are artificial structures designed to simplify crossing a body of water.

So if you attempt to make any argument either way (that you must take the ferry OR you must ford the river), then the same thing must be said of EVERY bridge along the AT.
    Would you say that someone who walked the trestle bridge at Harpers Ferry rather than swam the Potomac River didn't really hike the full AT?
    Would you say that someone who forded a creek because the log bridge had been washed out didn't really hike the full AT?
    Of course not... so I don't see how it matters one way or another if someone takes the ferry or fords the river. (HYOH)

I'm not sure I see the analogy between the bridge and a ferry. A bridge is a structure you walk over. A ferry is being transported over a body of water. Quite different. I see nothing wrong with Jurek taking the ferry but it isn't the same as a bridge at all in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's a good thing he didn't hit the Whites on Sunday. 80 MPH winds and heavy rain along the ridges. It was so bad the AMC canceled everyone's reservations for Sunday night and those who were already at the huts had to hunker down until it cleared up yesterday. Hitting a storm like that at the wrong time would have put an end to the whole deal.

Thankfully for him it's unlikely we'll have another storm like that in the next week, but showers and T-storms are in the forecast and with all the rivers already overflowing their banks, it could be a problem. But today is a nice day, cool and clear.
    I wouldn't want to bet on it...but. There is some unusual weather patterns setting up in the West/North West the past couple weeks lending itself to troughs in the East/North East and bringing in-climate weather further North in the way of Low pressure systems indicative of convection and thunderstorms and or high winds. Regardless, nothing like a good crescendo with some tension in the end to frame a masterful attempt. Mother nature always gets her way, if it's meant to be, he'll have his record, if not...one hell of a run. Go Scott Go!

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    ...MapMan, Odd Man Out, other cartographers/dataphiles: you have postulated a trek from Gorham to the road crossing past the Kennebec of 35ish per day. Can you remind us what Jen did over that stretch, and on to Katahdin summit? It's clear that she and Scott are comparables, so her pace for the trail remaining for Scott is a good rough estimate for his capability, understanding that some kind of ultra marathon from him to close out is something to factor in.
    Here's a new graphic. On the 19th day of her hike, JPD was at Arden Valley Road. With 19 nights to go, SJ was at exactly the same place. So if SJ matched JPD mile for mile for the last 19 days and spent the night at the same places he would get to Katahdin right on schedule to match the record EXCEPT for the fact that on the last day SJ will have just under 12 hrs to cover what JPD covered in her first full day (56 miles). So Ideally SJ should be a bit ahead of JPD's overnight stops for each night to be on schedule. The bottom arrows on the graph show JPD's overnights (adjusted to 2015 data) for the last 19 nights. The upper arrows show SJ's overnights since Arden Valley Rd. You can see that he is advancing on JPD's pace every night.

Capture.JPG

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Whiteblaze at its finest. Love the sarcasm. It is truly amazing what we debate.
    I was going to make the remark that if Scott didn't poop at all the places JPD did, well....

Really, c'mon, both hikes really couldn't be more different, like, er, SOBO vs. NOBO perhaps ????? Doesn't matter at all for the supported AT speed record if both do the entire trail (whatever "the trail" happens to be that year).

I guess I'm naïve because as a former trail runner, I've always thought less than perfect weather is better than bright and sunny hands-down. Of course, 80MPH winds in the whites is another story....

I'm sure any record setting hike that doesn't include the Amicalola Falls approach trail to Springer Mountain is not recognized by the Approach Trail Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I was going to make the remark that if Scott didn't poop at all the places JPD did, well....
    The important question that I have is whether he retraced his exact steps from where he left the trail to where he pooped, rather than cutting across to the trail at a slightly different point. This is a chronic way to cheat on a thru hike. So this too could be a disqualifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrowen View Post
    I'm sure any record setting hike that doesn't include the Amicalola Falls approach trail to Springer Mountain is not recognized by the Approach Trail Mafia.
    oh my, not the dreaded ATM. LOL thats funny.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If we are comparing apples to apples, shouldn't Scott bypass the canoe ferry and ford the river (whose name escapes me at the moment) as Jennifer did?
    Just wondering.

Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Riocielo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by centerfieldr162 View Post
    I think he needs to ford the river.. It doesn't matter why she didn't take the ferry. The fact is that she didn't take the ferry..
    That is ridiculous. The trail itself is different than 4 years ago.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos
    how to hike

Page 20 of 142 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 70 120 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++