WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 124 of 142 FirstFirst ... 24 74 114 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 134 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 2836

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    The tracker has him at Katahdin Stream Campground at 9:56AM.
    This means he could be an hour up Katahdin already.
    I'm thinking he'll summit around 1:30 today.
    Ya 130 seems likely based on last track point.

BTW. I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about

Quote Originally Posted by godoit View Post
    I'm grateful people don't believe in absolutes, we are far enough along the way to a winner-take-all/win-at-all-costs society.
    Come on, I'm talking about whether someone has a record if they beat the previous record time. In this circumstance you either have the record or you don't. I'm not extending it to say there must be absolutes in every aspect of life which there obviously aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    No, I have a Son and he's better fed than JPD . He's in the middle of teething and would only settle down if I was holding him. He spent a good part of last night sleeping on my shoulder while I was catching up on this thread
    Car rides are great for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    She set the record by a day, over the guy that beat the nobo record (going sobo) by another day. That means Scott will shave 3 days off the nobo record and set the overall record while hiking more miles than any of them. Of course, you can think anything you want but give credit, when credit is due.
    agree. NOBO is tougher. jurek will win today and have the record

Did anyone think those extra 8 miles from 2011 to 2015 would have this big of an impact? I sure didn't!

So he's about hallway from KSC to the open rock area... how far is that?
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Wow. It's really kind of sad that when we should be cheering Scott on, people are looking for excuses as to why his record wouldn't stand out as much as when Jen set the record. They are two totally separate journeys. To compare the two is really kind of silly. They each did it their way. To try and say that either one had it easier is just plain silly. They both had their own obstacles to overcome and do not need excuses for their astounding hikes. To come up with excuses for either one of these amazing athletes is a disservice to both of them.
    Seems you're expressing my point, just differently. I said that the hike is impressive regardless. Christopher Columbus crossed the ocean blue, just as did Charles Linburg and myself. I don't believe I set any standard even though I've crossed it more times and faster, nor was my crossing impressive. As for absolutes neither JPD or SJ had to deal with killer tornadoes and hurricane Irene, so no their hikes are absolutely not the same as mine. So I'd say you choose your Absolutes & I'll choose mine. HYOH

Images

10:51 and he is at Katahdin Stream, a mile up Katahdin. 4 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Half View Post
    It doesn't matter what anyone "thinks" or "considers" or "feels", if he sets the record he has the record. Period.
    OK Period, if that's how you "think", "consider", or "feel" about it.

What tree cover is there on the lower slopes where we think Scoot is? That is the biggest stumbling block for both the DeLorme and Spot devices. Once he gets in the open, tracking should improve.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Sorry. Scott not Scoot.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

He just passed Katahdin Stream Falls. From here on up is where it starts to get more vertical, and you do all that boulder scrambling.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

I imagine he gained a lot of knowledge and insight over the course of his trek. That could be an amazing tool for a second trip. If he doesn't feel he left it all out on the trail and gave it his best shot, I wonder if we might see another attempt out of him.
    Of interest and historical import:
    In one of those trail co-winky dinks...
    Andrew Thompson, Jennifer Pharr Davis, and Matthew D. Kirk were all on their third trip when they each set their records.

High hopes now dashed... perhaps given time and inclination we may find that Scott is on his Rough Draft and he may yet write his masterpiece.
    Much like Joey Camps though.... hell of a first thru!

Off to the dunes for a hike with the family... If my little AT will grow up to beat Jen we must do some hiking

In all good medicine- Best of luck to Scott!
    Mitakuye Oyasin applies; when one of us does something more than oneself, all of us are elevated in the effort.

PS- Trillium... Never made it much past about 20 hours in community college.
    Though I did get a 14 in the spelling section of the ACT, beating the monkey by a sound margin.

Quote Originally Posted by nctrails View Post
    Anyone know if it's being covered by anyone else? think runnersworld was using Delorme.
    Must be a couple of people out there who just happened to be climbing Katahdin with a satellite phone today.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Of interest and historical import:
    Off to the dunes for a hike with the family... If my little AT will grow up to beat Jen we must do some hiking

In all good medicine- Best of luck to Scott!
    I'm off to hike my front lawn in 21 inch wide swaths.

Imagine if... a superstar hiker/runner had all the support a person could want plus perfect weather (and good water sources) and absolutely no physical ailments along the way during a 2000+ mile journey. Hah! Joking!

2000 miles in 40-50 days simply does not allow the body to become stronger during that time. It's a given that breakdown and injury are going to happen. The amazing part of these FKTs is their management and perseverance despite the difficulties along the way while still pushing the limits of determination, pain, and fatigue.

Scott passed me in New York after giving me an 800 mile head start, he looked strong at the time. something happened in the White Mountains of NH that unquestionably changed his hike/run but he managed himself and persevered. Cheers to the pain and suffering both him and Odyssa endured in their pursuit of personal achievement!

Journal Entries

Be nice to see your rule book on FKTs and should probably be shared with all others making an attempt.
    Precisely my point, there's no rule book, so it's impossible to truly compare two different hikes. As I said it's impressive either way.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Second Half View Post
    It doesn't matter what anyone "thinks" or "considers" or "feels", if he sets the record he has the record. Period.
    It isn't that straightforward. As I said before, the A.T. isn't a racetrack, it changes year to year, often in ways that could easily add or remove a few hours worth of walking time to say "if he sets the record he has the record. Period." is a stretch when the course in question is demonstrably different than it was when the previous record was set. Also Scott went in the opposite direction, which as others have already said is arguably more difficult.

Don't assume I'm being hard on Scott though, the arguments I listed above are why I actually think his attempt means a bit more; the trail is a few miles longer this year (I'd have to look up the exact distances year over year) and the idea of crushing NH and ME after a month and a half of running 40 and 50 miles each day is amazing to me.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wow. It's really kind of sad that when we should be cheering Scott on, people are looking for excuses as to why his record wouldn't stand out as much as when Jen set the record. They are two totally separate journeys. To compare the two is really kind of silly. They each did it their way. To try and say that either one had it easier is just plain silly. They both had their own obstacles to overcome and do not need excuses for their astounding hikes. To come up with excuses for either one of these amazing athletes is a disservice to both of them.
    Well said!!!!

Default Different direction keeps both hikes pure.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    No matter exactly when he hits the top-
    fastest NOBO, and fastest Men's time will belong to Scott.
    Fastest SOBO, and fastest Women's time will belong to Jen.
    So everyone is a winner, in the book of public opinion, and the record book -so have no fears on that count.

Fastest Overall... we'll see. As I said before-
    The final score will be 3-2.
    So if any want to call it too close to call perhaps that score better satisfies.
    Different direction keeps both hikes pure.

++ New Posts ++