WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 136 of 142 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 2836

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Congrats Scott! Since RS isn't here to do it...........

My man, I all but forgot about Gene Gene the dancin' machine...Perfect!
    Thanks Dear Hunter.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    The GPS transparency was a nice touch to this. It allowed a lot of people to measure and discuss the strategies and any number of different issues that accompany such feats. The technology worked with some minor battery issues, but also demonstrated today's technology is up to the challenge that could not be said just a few years ago. It further establishes future attempts will need this level of transparency and verification given what promises to be numerous attempts of FKT that will be differentiated by hours to minutes.
    Indeed. There are far too many cynics and non-believers who demand proof (which all true sporting events incur in this day and age), and now that such transparency has been established, all others must follow suit if they are to be believed and if their record is to be verified. There are too many Rosie Ruiz's in this day and age! I cannot even begin to count the number of alleged thru-hikers I met in 2013 who did more hiking with their thumbs than with their feet. Does it matter? Not to me. But to set a true record there can be no other way. That "fastest known time" now must be known to more than the individual and his/her team. Still, I'd prefer a head-to-head (to head) race. Or not.

True. Maybe we could get a Kardashian to take it up.

Karl's turn now

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    Indeed. There are far too many cynics and non-believers who demand proof (which all true sporting events incur in this day and age), and now that such transparency has been established, all others must follow suit if they are to be believed and if their record is to be verified. There are too many Rosie Ruiz's in this day and age! I cannot even begin to count the number of alleged thru-hikers I met in 2013 who did more hiking with their thumbs than with their feet. Does it matter? Not to me. But to set a true record there can be no other way. That "fastest known time" now must be known to more than the individual and his/her team. Still, I'd prefer a head-to-head (to head) race. Or not.
    So if JPD were to come back next year and hike the same way she did in 2011 without such technology, people wouldn't believe her?

What happened at Grafton Notch?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Karl's turn now
    Yep. Should be EPIC. Any idea if Karl plans to go NOBO or SOBO?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    My man, I all but forgot about Gene Gene the dancin' machine...Perfect!
    Thanks Dear Hunter.
    Wow, does that take me back!! I followed the whole Unknown Comic thing in HS & even got away w/ wearing a paper bag on my head & terrorizing classmates. All in good fun of course. I'd certainly be arrested for such a thang, if I was a high schooler these days.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I don't remember seeing any exact predictions on this thread -- maybe I haven't been reading closely enough. In any case, here is my prediction:

45 days, 6 hours
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I decided not to throw my hat in the ring to soon as it usally draws bad press...but since you kicked it off.

47 days 13 hours 26 min
    I'm glad you nailed this. I didn't wanna be right.

Quote Originally Posted by nctrails View Post
    Wow, does that take me back!! I followed the whole Unknown Comic thing in HS & even got away w/ wearing a paper bag on my head & terrorizing classmates. All in good fun of course. I'd certainly be arrested for such a thang, if I was a high schooler these days.
    Yup that and a barrel 'll get ya thrown into the pokey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    So if JPD were to come back next year and hike the same way she did in 2011 without such technology, people wouldn't believe her?
    Given the technology has been demonstrated and effectively used now the standard has been set. I doubt anyone who is serious about FKT attempts will not use it, if nothing else by to provide route verification.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Yep. Should be EPIC. Any idea if Karl plans to go NOBO or SOBO?
    i think SOBO startin' in july

Quote Originally Posted by godoit View Post
    True. Maybe we could get a Kardashian to take it up.
    Take it up what.

I think SJ should leave his GPS on for an extra day. We could watch him sit for a couple hours at a vegan buffet and then sleep for a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    What happened at Grafton Notch?
    You need to ask Warren, he's the one that insinuated Scott missed 70 yards of white-blazed trail. Are we to question everyone's hike? Can Jen prove she never missed a white-blaze?

Added: Apparently Last Call on WB is Carl Wood on Facebook. I should have known better than feed the troll

Wait for it

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Given the technology has been demonstrated and effectively used now the standard has been set. I doubt anyone who is serious about FKT attempts will not use it, if nothing else by to provide route verification.
    Watching the last week it really didn't prove anything. Points weren't uniform by any means and were able to be edited. Scott could have easily taken a ride from one point to another.

PS The last "ping" came in at 2:29, twenty-one minutes after his official finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    You need to ask Warren, he's the one that insinuated Scott missed 70 yards of white-blazed trail. Are we to question everyone's hike? Can Jen prove she never missed a white-blaze?
    but the trail is 8 miles longer. what's a coupla yards

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Wow! What a journey!

++ New Posts ++