WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Do you tip your shuttle driver?

What is the etiquette? Usually one is not expected to tip an owner/operator, but I want to know what is customary/expected.

Thanks!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If its an owner/operator, I usually add a $5-15 tip depending upon the situation.
    Years ago (when gas was cheaper) had a shuttle driver pick me up from near Townsend, TN before the crack of dawn to drive me to Clingman's Dome. He only asked $45, but I handed him 3 - $20 bills because he got up so early, had no return customers, and likely spend the better part of 1-1/2 hours of his Saturday morning shuttling me.

Images

Tips. hah. I got stiffed two summers ago on a 45 mile shuttle from Grafton Notch to Gorham, NH. Dude just got out of the truck and disappeared. My shuttle mileage would have been about 125 miles.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hillwalker View Post
    Tips. hah. I got stiffed two summers ago on a 45 mile shuttle from Grafton Notch to Gorham, NH. Dude just got out of the truck and disappeared. My shuttle mileage would have been about 125 miles.
    Not cool.
    You should request to be paid when you pick up a passenger.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I would guesstimate that 75% of our section hiker shuttles tip and 10% of our thru hiker shuttles tip. It's always pleasant to get a tip but I don't expect one.

In my every day, non-shuttle driver life I am a good tipper and when I pay for a shuttle which is fairly often I always tip something unless the shuttle is more than $2 per mile one way.

I always tip. The distance, the conversation, and the promptness determines the amount.

I usually use a local lady here in the Smokies and I typically tip 10 - 15 bucks a shuttle. But she is very nice and goes out of her way to accommodate the weird vagaries of my schedule.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Quote Originally Posted by GScout View Post
    What is the etiquette? Usually one is not expected to tip an owner/operator, but I want to know what is customary/expected.

Thanks!
    i drive shuttles for myself and for an outfitter. i turn down tips but if they insist i will take it. shuttles are expensive. no tipping necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i drive shuttles for myself and for an outfitter. i turn down tips but if they insist i will take it. shuttles are expensive. no tipping necessary
    What if it is a cold beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GScout View Post

Thanks!
    I look at it this way -- tipping isn't about the service provider. It is about me. I want to view myself as a generous person, so I always tip the amount that will allow me to feel generous. Sometimes that takes more than other times.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I would guesstimate that 75% of our section hiker shuttles tip and 10% of our thru hiker shuttles tip. It's always pleasant to get a tip but I don't expect one.

In my every day, non-shuttle driver life I am a good tipper and when I pay for a shuttle which is fairly often I always tip something unless the shuttle is more than $2 per mile one way.
    Great insider info. I am also a generous tipper in general, but shuttles are expensive so I wasn't sure if the tip was sort of calculated into the cost. I will plan to tip for sure. Thank you!

Journal Entries

I tip employees, because they are low paid.
    Owner-operators set their rates based on what they want to make.
    If somone goes above whats expected, i tip them too.

I do not like feeling like i am forced to tip people for poor service. This applies to everything from taxis to haircuts to waitresses. So i wont. Gets me into arguement with wife every time.

Images

I normally tip my driver, regardless. Maybe it's the euphoria and anticipation of being back on the trail...
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Images

I always tip shuttle drivers - even those who don't want to accept them (ahem- LW). Without them, section hiking would be darn near impossible and it's not like they are getting rich doing it. Just a way to express your gratitude.

Journal Entries
    Images

Holy crap. To be honest, I never thought about tipping my shuttle drivers. I was always so amped to get on the trail and going over gear checklists in my head. Geez, I feel like such a heel now. Well, I will certainly give them the opportunity to receive tips this year, or I'll donate some money to their business as penance. Apologies to the previous drivers on my oversight...
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Owner-operators set their rates based on what they want to make. If someone goes above whats expected, i tip them too.
    Pretty much the way I look at it. If my request is out of the ordinary or difficult, I will tip in appreciation even though rates typically increase for extraordinary requests anyway. Otherwise, no tip. I've never had a shuttle driver give me a deal for being on time or referring them to other hikers & I'm 100% fine with that too.

Ryan

When I travel to the USA I'm always uncertain as to who should get a tip and how much. In Ireland, we usually only tip at a fancy restaurant, tipping is not expected elsewhere. I've lived in China, where the waiter/ress refuse tips because tipping is so unexpected, nobody gets tipped. I like it like it like that, the price is the price. Good services get its reward in repeat custom and word of mouth. In the US, I never know who to tip; taxi, barber, librarian, deli meat slicer guy, walmart bagger...

If it costs x$ gas + y$ time for a shuttle,that should be the amount charged. It should not be up to the customer to figure out if the shuttle has a return or was otherwise inconvenienced

I'm happy to tip, I just don't know to whom and how much. I'd love to be able to leave a trail of 50$ bills behind me, but my name isn't Gates or Buffet...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

I do not like feeling like i am forced to tip people for poor service. This applies to everything from taxis to haircuts to waitresses. So i wont. Gets me into arguement with wife every time.
    Sounds like my mom. She tips 20% no matter what, even if service was as poor as poor can be.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

++ New Posts ++