WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries
    Images

After reading through this post and replies over the last several days I figured I would respond my .02.
    First let me start by saying not meaning to sound rude or biased but how can someone so worried about aluminum and cooking with it even contemplate cooking from A coffee can ?
    I myself do not worry about any metals particularly or the effects they "might" have on me when im 80.
    I do however consider strength vs weight possibilities in my cook kit(which I am a collector of diy cook kits and have many different ones)
    I use more often than not A beer can pot with an alchy stove,but anyway my opinion on the coffee can is that as mentioned above it has been used for many years as a cooking vessel and even today some medern day train hoppers I know still use them .
    I believe if im not mistaking they call them gunboats.
    I think it is catching on in the survival/prepper world as well.
    Again as mentioned above I would be cautious on the seams and there means of sealing them and etc.
    Also of the coating used on the inside because obviously manufacturing has changed since the depression era.
    If anything I would do several long boils in the pot before actually using it to cook in.
    Then if you feel comfortable go with it.
    But again as mentioned there are so many more options available for the same price or even cheaper.
    Dollar tree can be your friend ....

Quote Originally Posted by newToThrough View Post
    I'm thinking of saving some money and just using a coffee can as my cook pot. Does anyone have any experience with this, good or bad? And does anyone know any reason why it might not be safe? I know I have to choose a can that doesn't have a plastic lining but other than that is there a safety issue with this?
    If it's a titanium UL coffee can that came with Jamaican Blue Mountain Wallenford Estate or Organic Hawaiian 100% Kona Dark Roast it's good to go.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Oh my!!! yesterday I spied a large can of Chili that had rounded bottom, almost bought it
    I bought 2 cans of the chili and made a pot from one.............really good tasting stuff. Heated it in the can on my kitchen stove ;-)

chili pot 1.JPGchili pot 3.JPGchili pot 5.JPGchili pot.JPGchili pot4.JPG

For more information see this thread:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...96#post2078796
    Last edited by zelph; 07-04-2016 at 19:45.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++