WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ultralight Ultra-Cheap Gear List

I created a gear list with a sub 10lb base weight costing about $570. Let me know what you guys think. http://lighterpack.com/r/evyp4y

You're only wearing 1/4 socks but you are bringing a down jacket? Where are you going?

I like the overall setup of the list, but I think actual use will instigate some revision.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    You're only wearing 1/4 socks but you are bringing a down jacket? Where are you going?

I like the overall setup of the list, but I think actual use will instigate some revision.
    3 season use on the AT or other eastern U.S. trails.

Your list looks like it would work, however I feel like you it could use some work. And I feel like you should add the cost of the little things. To much "free from home" on your list to be honest. I don't own a trash compactor. So I did have to go pack $5 for a pack of liners. Here are a few suggestions from my part.

Shelter and Sleeping

- 6x10 is minimal. For a thru-hike, personally, I would go with an 8x10 just for that little extra real estate and more pitch options. Small weight penalty, but remember this is your "home"

- I don't know what that tarp setup consists of. But for $25 I'm sure you could get 1.25mm z-line from Zpacks, a polycro ground sheet from Gossamer Gear, and titanium stakes from Zpacks or Dutchware. If your into LineLocs you can pick some up too. I think if you investigate what I'm talking about you may find a lighter, improved system, for the same cost.

- I agree on the z-lite. You may be able to snip off one more section off the small too. That's what I would use for ground use.

- The prodigy is a nice quilt. Consider buying used though. You may be able to find a 20* down top quilt for around $200. 30* imo, is pushing it for 3 season use on the AT. So a used down quilt can get you a lighter, warmer bag for a small cost penalty.

- No bug net? This one got me. I wouldn't be able to sleep outside right now here in NH with the black flies. Even on day hikes, I prepare for battle.

Backpack and Stuff Sacks

- I'm almost positive the CDT weighs a more than 16oz stripped in real life. Email ULA and that'll get you an exact answer. Also, have you considered Gossamer Gear with a torso length length pad for sleeping on?

- Compactor bag liners work great. But if you need to buy some, you may want to purchase Gossamer Gears pack liners. They are lighter and just as durable as compactor bags.

- I'm assuming the REI stuff sack is for the quilt. It's not really needed. Especially when your quilt is synthetic. You can stuff loosely or just use another GG pack liner for your quilt. Both lighter options. Sea to summit ultra-sil stuff sacks are lighter for a very small cost penalty too.

- For organizing hygiene/first aid kit.. I prefer 1qrt freezer bags with the sliding closure for their ease of use and durability.

Cooking

- you can buy relfectix by the foot from dutchware. Most of my potcozy's come in more around 1.0oz's though.

- use a long handled spoon, trust me.

- if your gonna carry a 12oz water bottle for fuel, why not just take the whole HEET container? Zelph sells a squirt cap for it too. Great upgrade

Water

- If I can recall correctly, my squeeze mini weighed more than that. After two weeks on the trail, your gonna wish you went with the full size squeeze as well. The mini takes a lot of work.

- 2 1L smartwater bottles weigh more than 1.3oz

- a 2L platy softbottle is a great addition to a thru-hikiing kit

Misc

- Headlamp, you can always just go with a 1x AAA pen light

- Skip the paracord, order some 2.2mm slickline from zpacks or similar. Paracord is not ideal for bear bagging. You'll save almost 3oz here too.

- 6oz is a bit much for a med kit unless there's a legitimate reason for it all. "Most" ul fak's are in the 1-3oz range.

- Gerber UL LST - 0.6oz and $12 on amazon

- I suggest bringing nail clippers

Clothing

- I prefer exofficio give-n-go boxer briefs over compression underwear. They are the perfect amount of snug and comfortable for me. I know own 12 pairs. Can be had for $12 on sale

- Fleece winter hat at 4oz is bit much. I have a merino wool beanie for 2oz or a fleece beanie for 1oz. Both plenty warm for 3 season.

- I would add some USGI surplus wool glove liners. $6 and about an oz.

I hope I could shed some light or give you some ideas to play with. Have fun

Thanks for taking time to look through and critique the list fastfox. You've listed a lot of great options that I wasn't aware of! I'll have to go back through the gear list and add in some of your suggestions.

Default good list

Thanks for sharing. This list looks good enough I can forward to some friends if they want to join me for a trip. I'm sad thou that internet forums rarely suggest the granite gear virga 2 pack. It's 2 Oz lighter than the one you have listed. I got mine off amazon for $80 which seems dirt cheap compared to some of the popular cottage industry's.

If you like a rainsuit, this one is a good price.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K1C...ords=rain+suit

I would rather cover-up with a LightHeart Gear Rain Hoodie and Equinox Full Moon or Exped rain chaps for real rain, then, get my shelter in place. I find most rainwear much too warm for real-world exertion of hiking in the mountains.

Nice list.

Thank you, for all the work of putting that list together. I especially like that you have listed the costing, even so, that small-stuff from your household goods adds up. Try purchasing sunscreen. It is often more than a few dollars. That is only one more "small item".

Ditties the nail clippers.
    Also I didn't see soap. Better for cleaning than hand sanitizer. Cut a piece off a bar of ivory soap and keep in baggie. It's cheap unscented. Cheaper and lighter than Dr bronners. Don't waste money on "biodegradable" soap. All natural soap (lime Ivory) is biodegradeable.

I would add a sun hat.

I have a nice headlamp like the one on you list but find I almost never veed it. A cheaper lighter option could be considered.
    That food bag is nylon not silnylon. I would want a waterproof food bag

Some of the clothing items (t shirt shorts) could be found at a resale shop for a lot less money

I would make a ECHS alcohol stove and pot stand. No weight or cost penalty for a much better stove.

I've not looked at this list, but the nail clippers comments caught my eye. I've never carried clippers; I find that if I get my nails wet (soak them if necessary), the little scissors on my little Wenger knife will cut my fingernails and even at least some toenails at need. I've also seen big nail clippers in hiker boxes on I think both the PCT and the AT. Can't count on this latter, but it's something that folks sometimes ditch in a hostel or the like. Since my shoes are sized up, it's not critical to me that my toenails are trimmed short, apart from just how that relates to sock durability.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I have never carried nail clippers either. My knife is 2 single edge razor blades (1 to lose, 1 to keep...). I carry them in an empty McNeil's Tenacious Tape tube.

++ New Posts ++