WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

Default Two Person Hammock

Hey, We currently use a tarptent, but want to try hammock camping. I use a lightweight hammock from time to time just for lounging around and it is Very Restfull. My question is who makes a two person hammock? My wife is going with me and doesn't really want to sleep in a seperate hammock. I have looked at the Hennessey Safari. While not expressly advertised as a two person hammock I think it would do the job well. Does anyone have any experience either with the Safari or know of a comparable product. We appreciate any advice and suggestions.
    Thanks!!
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Images

my wife and i do our romancing before retiring for the evening in his and hers hammocks neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by justusryans
    Hey, We currently use a tarptent, but want to try hammock camping. I use a lightweight hammock from time to time just for lounging around and it is Very Restfull. My question is who makes a two person hammock? My wife is going with me and doesn't really want to sleep in a seperate hammock. I have looked at the Hennessey Safari. While not expressly advertised as a two person hammock I think it would do the job well. Does anyone have any experience either with the Safari or know of a comparable product. We appreciate any advice and suggestions.
    Thanks!!
    yeah give it a try lol neo

Images

I'd like to hear the results, too. I asked the same thing a while back and never heard of anyone else really giving it a shot.

Images

Default Two People in a Hammock

As long as you like being cozy you shouldn't have any problem. The nature of the design of virtually all hammocks will cause two people to be rolled to the center and pushed together. Every time one moves the other will be disturbed. Further, the dead weight of your sleeping partner will make it very difficult for you to move to adjust your position.

You would probably be more comfortable hanging two hammocks side by side from the same trees.

Best of luck.
    Regards,
    Smee
    www.jacksrbetter.com

Default Two Person Hammock

Thanks!!
    I just recently purchased an Eagles Nest Outfitters double.
    http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/
    Haven't had the opportunity to use it yet w/ a senorita. Its a Brazillian design hammock six feet wide & ten feet long where lying at a 45 deg angle to the axis seems the most comfortable. It may be as Jack suggests that both people would/will roll together. One of these days I'm going to get a Mayan design hammock where the occupants lie at a 90 deg. angle totally flat. The Mayans were supposed to have done everything in their hummaca and that may be the ticket!
    R.
    First things first!

One-time Rights, hard copy and Internet. All Rights revert to author.

Images

gotta second the motion for two separate hammocks hung side by side... can't imagine wanting to be next to anyone, loved or not, that close, for that long, without a daily bath/shower... hiker clothes get funky, even if you bathe daily... but that's just me...

Images

Thanks guy's, I think we are going to get two hammocks. I don't see how two people won't get in each others way. I appreciate all the advice.
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Thanks guy's, I think we are going to get two hammocks. I don't see how two people won't get in each others way. I appreciate all the advice.
    Hiking spouses benefit from economy of scale, by the sharing of equipment and division of labor. Those advantages are lost when redundant equipment is carried. What makes great sense for a solo hiker isn't necessarily the best option for hiking pairs. Weigh your options (pardon the lousy pun).
    Roland

Images

I agree, however I value comfort also. Currently we use a Shires Cloudburst. A great tarptent.
    Would it be feasible weightwise, to carry two separate hammocking systems,v. one 2 pound tarptent? I will carry a little extra weight for comfort, but I'm not that eager to add significant weight to my pack.

Kahlil Gibran

If you're careful, you can carry one large tarp and two hammock, and both sleep under the same tarp. That would limit your site options a bit, though it could easily be done.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

10x12 silnyl tarps weigh in the vic 21-22 oz depending on manufacturer... Two 8x8 tarps will provide more flexible site selection, pitch well in "three tree" arrangements without overlap, bonus is that at 9.2 oz each you can save a few oz.

But then I'm biased.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I think the whole 2 person hammock thing could be a tad tricky. One thing for sure ...you'd need to coordingate your movements, especially your response to nature's call in the middle of the night. Unless the tandem hammock had distinct "pouches" for each of you to lay in I would imagine that getting in and out could require some gymnastic expertise.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Rifleman....we're neighbors ! I used to live in Whee but moved up the street to Sylva.

Several of my hiking buddies use Eagles Nest hammocks and love them..... I think that their optional strap system rocks. They pack smaller, are lighter and easier to set up than any that I've seen and now they offer bug netting
    As far as two people goes...it's been tried...and tried.....and tried....

Sooner or later someone will come up with a two person hammock that has webbing running down the middle so that the hammock is actually two hammocks joined at the center.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman
    I just recently purchased an Eagles Nest Outfitters double.
    http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/
    Haven't had the opportunity to use it yet w/ a senorita. Its a Brazillian design hammock six feet wide & ten feet long where lying at a 45 deg angle to the axis seems the most comfortable. It may be as Jack suggests that both people would/will roll together.
    I also purchased the double from ENO and had the chance to use it with my wife last weekend. As Jack said, we did end up pooling together in the middle but it was the most comfortable relaxation I've experienced in a long time. Although we didn't sleep in it overnight, the mosquitoes were bad at night; we did lie around and napped frequently during the afternoons. I didn't find her pressure on my chest to inhibiting to sleep easy but that may be due to her weighing 100 lbs and me at 240. My next purchase will definitely be the bug guard to make it a worry free sleep.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Sirrahd; 11-19-2005 at 12:31.

++ New Posts ++