WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Down jacket vs down vest

Planning to summit Katahdin on June 13th and head sobo. I keep going back and forth on whether I should bring along my down jacket and mail it home after the whites or if I should layer my down vest underneath my rain jacket. Both are llbean 850 down. What are your thoughts? I just can't make up my mind!

Images

Personally, this year... I would keep the down jacket until after the whites. It has been a funky year for weather around here. I also know (I own both products) that they compress about the same, so size and weight really aren't a difference. With the bugs out in the evenings, it isn't really quite the time of year where you can spend time outdoors (while not moving) and not get eaten alive. In addition, while you are getting your hiking legs, you will most likely be more tired at the end of your day. Being tired makes it easier to become cold in the evenings.

With family close by they could always mail the vest to you in Millinocket, or Monson.

I bought a down vest from REI at a big discount, could have gotten the long sleeve jacket but didn't. I like the combo with the rain jacket but time and time again have regretted not getting the jacket. I don't know about the weather or the trail specifically but the weight difference can't be that much. I'd go jacket, you can always take it off if it gets to hot.

-Stephen

If yer asking the question...
    the answer is jacket.

yer the Mainer- likely if anyone is used to summer in maine it's you.
    The jacket is better for the actual Whites, and those few times on the summits- but you probably won't actually hang out above treeline for long.
    So 80% rule says to take the vest and suck it up for the few times it's close.

That said- You do live close so swaps won't be life or death on the postage and likely the jacket isn't much more than the vest.
    unless you know yourself very well- vests work better for men than women, generally a jacket is better for the less core warmth oriented female population. Also- you'll be tired and worn down- so your body will be off it's game too. That tends to be the factor that pushes folks to play it safe.

If yer asking the question...
    the answer is jacket.

Thank you both for your input! I guess I just needed a little coaxing

Either will work

++ New Posts ++