WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Stanley pot mod

Default Stanley pot mod

Nothing super new here just moded my Stanley pot. Made the bail with some stainless safety wire I picked up at harbor freight. Just the small .79 cent roll. Cut a length used my visegrips to hold one end grabbed other with my leatherman gave a good nice tight twist did the same for the loop around the main pot to attach the bail to. Made a couple of loops also a short twist on them those went onto the main braid on the pot.
    The stock handle is fully functional and there is no tip when using the pot and handle is open. Figure make a little more useable and easy to make with simple tools not drilling required.

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

I've got one of these, it's a great design. I've always felt like the stainless takes a while to heat up. I did make a a DIY caldera cone from a disposable baking pan and it seems to make a difference but I haven't timed it yet. Nice work.

Images

The bail is nice for wood fires. Nice addition to your pot. Wood is my goto fuel......smoke makes for a good trail deodorant:-)

[QUOTE=zelph;1976521......smoke makes for a good trail deodorant:-)[/QUOTE]
    Sounds like something I would say, loud enough so that all the folks who won't come within 10ft of me can hear.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb2 View Post
    I've got one of these, it's a great design. I've always felt like the stainless takes a while to heat up. I did make a a DIY caldera cone from a disposable baking pan and it seems to make a difference but I haven't timed it yet. Nice work.
    What kinda fuel did ya use it on? I find stainless heats up pretty well. I like that bail to be able to dip water out of a lake makes easy to carry it more so than the handle. Granted it's a small pot to begin with.
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    What kinda fuel did ya use it on?
    Just the typical yellow HEET

I'll have to give it a try on my svea alchy. Truthfully I've mainly used it on a canister stove and it worked well for me

By Doug Larson

Images

nice mod! my wife and i use this pot and cups on our couple section hikes, the cups are great for all our drink needs. solo i use snow peak ti900
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Images

I like mine for wood fires more than stove top. Stainless isn't the heat transfer monster than aluminum is. I have yet to even melt off the original plastic lid handle, but will likely replace it befre I do.

I like the pot, just wish it were more wide/shorter.

Ah, good old Steel safety wire. I use it in some of my DIY Projects too, I got several small coils of it from Dollar Tree. It comes in handy when making a primer oil for some of my tiny stoves.

++ New Posts ++