WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by mattjv89 View Post
    They all fail like clockwork in the same spot right where the plastic is stretched tight around the cap fitting.

Interesting... if they all fail in the same area, wouldn't that tell Sawyer to redesign accordingly? Hmmm...
    Thanks for the insight!

You can leave the syringe at home by using the drinking nozzle on Smart water bottles. Back flushes perfectly. Durable bottles too.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

In one of your posts, you asked about connecting a bottle to the output side of the squeeze, which has male threads. What you need is a tornado tube. You can make your own by epoxying two bottle caps together and drilling a hole in the center. Or you can buy one which is in a science kit for making a tornado in a bottle. I've seen the kit at my local Ace Hardware, or they can be had online too.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    I really love my Sawyer Squeeze. I set mine up with a tornado tube, so that I could screw it right onto my water bottle to refill it. Day 1 of my JMT hike sees me sitting beside a spring below Half Dome for an hour, cussing at my "clogged" filter. After back flushing it for the 4th or 5th time, I realized I had too good of a seal on my water bottle. Air had nowhere to escape as the bottle filled, slowing, then stopping water flow. Bladders in a gravity set-up don't have this problem, since the bladder expands.
    Haaa I did same thing first time I tried w tornado tube..since ditched tube and hold smartwater bottle w feet and fill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cayte03 View Post
    But... versatility! I definitely see your point, but if the bladder fails on a thruhike, then the filter is pretty much useless...
    I had not 1, but 2 bladders fail while using them with my inline filter when attempting a thruhike in 2013. Same solution both times: duct tape. Then I replaced the bladder (warranty, both times) when I hit town. I was prepared to buy a replacement bladder the first time but the outfitter in Waynesboro clued me in that a seam leak was a warranty replacement on my Big Zip and took care of me right then and there. Good guy.

Both times I just swapped my existing line for the new one and was ready to plug and play right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    In one of your posts, you asked about connecting a bottle to the output side of the squeeze, which has male threads. What you need is a tornado tube. You can make your own by epoxying two bottle caps together and drilling a hole in the center. Or you can buy one which is in a science kit for making a tornado in a bottle. I've seen the kit at my local Ace Hardware, or they can be had online too.
    That is brilliant. Yay to hiker ingenuity

Images

I've carried both the regular and the mini.

The mini is slower, but not unreasonable
    I back flushed the Mini every evening - not a big deal at all, takes about 30 seconds.
    When I carried the regular, I would back flush about every third or fourth day.

I do not find either one inconvenient. I keep my platypus and/or evernew bladders filled with unfiltered water. I filter into two 20 oz drink bottles for carrying/drinking, directly into pot for cooking. Takes about 5 minutes or so to fill my water bottles while I'm waiting for dinner to cook. Is a relaxing process. When done filtering, I back flush and I'm ready for the next day. I usually filter some more at lunch. No real assembly required, so only takes a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake2c View Post
    Went through a few systems and finally went to a Sawyer, first the squeeze then the mini and finally the squeeze in a gravity filter configuration. Works fine and I have not gotten sick. Even with the .1 micron squeeze though bacteria and viruses could get through if present. I have been considering a lifestraw mission gravity drain system. Only down side is it is bigger but the up is it is a .02 micron filter which means it can clear viruses too. Thinking about it but have not pulled the trigger.
    .02 micron can not clear viruses... the largest virus are .02.... but a .02 will certainly clear everything else. Viruses are generally only found in the dankest of refuse waters though so as long as your not filtering sewer water or from a oasis with a carcass floating in it you should be good.

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

I still have one question that hasn't been answered -
    if I put either the mini or the squeeze inline (in the tube of the Platipus bladder), will I be able to get water out of it into my cooking pot or water bottle? Usually if I raise the bladder high up, I can manually open the mouth piece by squeezing and water will start pouring out. If I install the filter inline, will there be enough pressure from gravity to force the water through the filter?
    Thanks!

I still have one question that hasn't been answered -
    if I put either the mini or the squeeze inline (in the tube of the Platipus bladder), will I be able to get water out of it into my cooking pot or water bottle? Usually if I raise the bladder high up, I can manually open the mouth piece by squeezing and water will start pouring out. If I install the filter inline, will there be enough pressure from gravity to force the water through the filter?
    Thanks!
    I haven't done it myself but you would be amazed at the pressure gravity fed water can exert.
    Interesting... if they all fail in the same area, wouldn't that tell Sawyer to redesign accordingly? Hmmm...
    Thanks for the insight!

Curious.. when back flushing the sawyer filters with the syringe the mini fits well on it and clears pretty well but the regular squeeze doesn't seem to clear at all ... the syringe doesn't make enough contact w the hole for the squeeze to force the air thro the filter ... I'm confused if I'm doing something wrong

The squeeze is almost double the price of the mini but you get more Sawyer bags, if you want to trust them. I don't and use the 2 liter Evernew and a Smart Water type of bottle. It's been widely reported that he new Platypus bottle threads don't fit Sawyer products as they did in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Singto View Post
    The squeeze is almost double the price of the mini but you get more Sawyer bags, if you want to trust them. I don't and use the 2 liter Evernew and a Smart Water type of bottle. It's been widely reported that he new Platypus bottle threads don't fit Sawyer products as they did in the past.
    The Platypus bottle threads never did fit those of the Sawyer. That's why I don't use them. After breaking a couple of Sawyer bags, I only use the Evernew bags. They are strong, the cap is attached so you can't lose it, and the threads match.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++