Default First overnight - by myself

Hi. I'm new to backpacking. For a few years now I've done solo motorcycle trips, camping and day hiking. Now I've got the bug to backpack and will be doing a weekend overnight in Harriman/bear Mountain in NY, mostly on the AT.
    I'm a middle age woman, reasonably fit and comfortable traveling on my own. Any tips for things to be aware of or watch out for on my first outing?
    I'm also interested in maybe finding hiking partners for some other section hikes this summer.
    Thanks - K

Some (or at least one) of the shelters in Harriman doesn't have a near-by water source, so be aware of that. It's a popular area so be ready for lots of people and possible over crowding. Be sure to bring a tent. You might be by yourself, but you will not be alone.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hello K and welcome. When i first moved to KY, I found the louisville meetup site (online)for hiking and backpacking. I imagine there is one for NY as well. But just being actve as a backpacker and hiker, you would be surprised to see how many people you can meet. From there, you should easily be able to find a good hiking partner. As a guy im not to worried about the stranger issue with the online meetup stuff, but its always good to be leary of the wierdos.

Journal Entries
    Images

The AMC New York New Jersey have frequent hikes and trips there. Just be careful if it is bear territory, if you go alone. That being said, even with a group I often hike at my own pace.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NJdreamer View Post
    The AMC New York New Jersey have frequent hikes and trips there. Just be careful if it is bear territory, if you go alone. That being said, even with a group I often hike at my own pace.

Bears are probably the single most overhyped fear on the A.T., just store your food correctly and don't purposely mess with them. They are wild animals and should be treated with respect, but to misquote The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, they're mostly harmless.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 06-09-2015 at 21:57.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Default Harriman is my stomping grounds..

I'm a solo female hiker and camp up at Harriman all the time. In fact, I just came home from doing an overnighter up there. Weekends are probably the worst time to go. The parks and the shelters are filled with huge groups of day hikers. I have off Wed-Sundays so I usually go up there Wed-Friday and try and leave by Friday night to avoid the crowds. On Saturdays/Sundays in the summer the park fills up with herds of day hikers. In the late fall-winter it's much better, you practically have the park to yourself. If you haven't already, pick up the maps from the NY-NJ Trail Conference. They are a "must have". I personally haven't had any problems with bears at Harriman. Judging from the piles of trash I've seen in some of the shelters and around popular areas like Pine Meadow Lake, I don't think bears are an issue. I've never seen one. In fact, I see very little in the way of wild life at Harriman. The only thing I've had invade my camp were other hikers. I hate crowds and avoid the shelters in the summer because you get people coming in them, partying and trashing them. As a single female I'd be more afraid of the people then any wildlife. I stealth camp. I go off trail, into the middle of nowhere, and camp out on the many ridges or ledges that have incredible views. Harriman has a lot of great places to camp in the quieter, less popular areas of the park in the northwestern corner. This time of year, unless you like/want crowds of people, stay away from the shelters, bring a tent and find a quiet place to camp and observe LNT techniques and you'll be fine. If you can avoid the weekends and go midweek you will have a much more enjoyable experience. BTW, Harriman is awesome in the fall, winter. I was up there December 30 and camped at West Mountain shelter which is off the AT and one of the best hikes in the park. The shelter itself overlooks Manhattan and you get quite a light show and view from it. There's tons of great info on Harriman about where to hike and camp out so if you haven't already, do a google search. Have fun and maybe I'll see you there..but not on a weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more pics..The best way to experience Harriman..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the advice. I went to Bear Mt Saturday morning and hiked south to Brien Memorial shelter. Nice and quiet, just one thru hiker and three young ladies from NYC, we had a great evening. The water source was right where the map said it was and hadn't dried up.
    Five miles into Sunday heading to Southfields my knee gave out. I got to a road and a ranger gave me a ride to my bus stop. I'm going to work on getting the knee in shape and will head back soon, probably in the week as I've got vacation days to use up. Thanks.

++ New Posts ++