WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What UL tent to buy?

My granddaughter, in her 20's, is hoping to thru hike the AT in 2017. After a 3 day trip with her mom and me in NY, she likes the idea of going UL. She has a great sleeping bag and pad, and I want to buy her the tent. I'd like to hear your thoughts on a tent, 1 person or 2 (she will hopefully find a partner but should have her own tent, IMO). What is sacrificed insofar as comfort is concerned with a UL tent vs. a very lightweight tent? I'll probably want to buy it at REI so I can apply my dividend, but could buy from another source if there is a great product out there. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Images
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

tarptent makes some nice ones as well. Almost everyone I backpack with has one. One guy has a Notch, but is going to buy a Stratospire 1 for more room.

Good luck, there are lots of great tentmakers out there.

Check out Tarptent Double Rainbow. For the price, it is a great tent. Easy set up for the daughter and plenty of room. It also has a little more head room and standard arch for movement required by females. The notch and some of the UL Tents (not all) are more tube or tunnel shaped which is not a problem for guys but many gals don't like them. Plenty of You Tube Vids on the Rainbow. I was set to purchase the single when I purchased a Hammock. Still have the Rainbow in mind if I do the AZT or PCT. Just my two cents as a father with daughers.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

If a free-standing tent is desired, the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2 (not much heavier than the UL 1 person) is very light for a free standing tent and generally gets good reviews. Available at REI and others, but it's a pricey tent.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

I agree with you that your daughter should take her own tent, even if she has a partner with her for at least part of the hike.

Sometimes hikers must make difficult choices, trading off competing values. The very lightest shelter options may not have be as durable, as rain worthy, or as protective from biting insects as slightly heavier choices would be.

I generally do spring, summer and fall trips amid mild weather. So, I like how my Tarptent Rainbow functions. It protects me from insects and has served reasonably well during several heavy, extended rains. But, if I were going to backpack for months or years on end in rainforest environments (tropical or temperate), a slightly heavier double walled tent might perform that purpose better for me. No one has mentioned it yet, but reportedly some long distance hikers consider the Hubba Hubba to be both sturdy and rain worthy.

You probably have obtained by now a general idea of how much good quality light or UL shelters cost. Instead of selecting a tent yourself to give to your granddaughter, consider possibly instead making some funds, perhaps $200 or $300, available to her to use for that purpose.

There are a lot of so-called 'cottage industry' businesses making ultralight backpacking gear. Not just tents, but backpack, stuff sacks, hammocks, trowels (titanium), etc. For ultralight tents, I've owned several of Henry Shire's TarpTents & have been pleased w/ them. I've also owned a Z-Packs Heximid Plus tent (the one I took on my AT hike). Most of these ultralight tents are single-wall tents. You deal w/ condensation problems mainly. Some are not as storm-worthy as 'traditional' backpacking tents. The AT is distinctive from most other trails - there are shelters on a regular basis up & down the trail. Some hikers - like myself - predominantly stayed in these shelters (a plan from the beginning) & took an ultralight tent for those rare times when the tent is used (I used my tent 14 times over 152 days). If someone is planning to use a tent almost exclusively, then comfort & storm-worthiness really come into play.

My suggestion for an ultralight tent w/ good storm-worthiness would be a Z-Packs Duplex tent. About 20 oz. Lots of positive revues on it. Expensive as heck, though.

My suggestion for a 'traditional' 1-person tent would be the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-1 (be careful about about the trap of 'but the 2-person only weights XXX more'; ounces become pounds... pounds become pain). Good head room for sitting up. Side entry tent is easier to get in & out of compared to a front entry tent (IMO).

Note: I do own the Copper Spur UL-1. I don't own (but covet) the Z-Packs Duplex tent.

I hope your granddaughter gets to fulfill her dream of hiking the AT. I can only assume that it is easier to do when you're young. It was tough for me when I did it at age 58.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Have you considered a basic tarp? For under 2 lbs you can get an 8x10 tarp, lines, ground cloth and bug net. It works for me.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

http://www.tarptent.com/

Tarptent is American made and extremely well built.

I own the tarptent Double Rainbow model and it's an great compromise between low weight and lots of room.

If she uses trekking poles look at the one person Notch model, it's 27oz for a fully enclosed double walled tent. It uses trekking poles for support, so there are no extra tent poles to carry.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Tarptents. If you want to go with REI, something like a Eureka Spitfire 1 (cheap) or MSR Hubba NX 1 (more expensive).

I am looking at all the various tents mentioned and sending the info along to my g'daughter. Of course she will be the one to select the tent - I'm just trying to get an idea of what to consider plus an estimate of cost. I'm hoping she will find something about $350 or less.

CarlZ993, I know what you're saying! I tried it at age 56 and was only able to complete approx. 900 miles total. it's one of the reasons I'm so excited that my granddaughter is going to try to do what I couldn't, and I'll help her in any way I can.

Tarptent Notch, 26 oz, good ventilation, goes up and comes down fast, can be put up/taken down in rain without the inside getting wet, adequate room for me at 6'1", 180 lb, holds up great in storms and rain, and what's really nice for me is that I can hang my pack on one of the hiking poles that support it to keep it off the ground and have access to it at all times...you can't go wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Tarptents. If you want to go with REI, something like a Eureka Spitfire 1 (cheap) or MSR Hubba NX 1 (more expensive).
    The Spitfire 1 was one of my earlier tents, good buy for the money but too heavy for a long hike, I still use it for week end trips...IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy97 View Post
    My granddaughter, in her 20's, is hoping to thru hike the AT in 2017. After a 3 day trip with her mom and me in NY, she likes the idea of going UL. She has a great sleeping bag and pad, and I want to buy her the tent. I'd like to hear your thoughts on a tent, 1 person or 2 (she will hopefully find a partner but should have her own tent, IMO). What is sacrificed insofar as comfort is concerned with a UL tent vs. a very lightweight tent? I'll probably want to buy it at REI so I can apply my dividend, but could buy from another source if there is a great product out there. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
    I have a Copper Spur UL1 and the MSR Hubba. (also a MSR Reflex on the way!) All are good mainstream tents and set up fast with little fuss. I haven't been exposed to Henry's, Zpacks or Lighthearts yet though so can't compare.

The CS1 is lighter. It has a door that hinges at the bottom making you have to be careful crawling in and out not to damage the door laying on the floor while the Hubba has the traditional doors that you can tie back on each side to open like a curtain.

The Hubba can also be accessorized with a GearShed. This is kinda gimmicky but does add a lot of vestibule room where a dog or even another person could sleep but not be protected with the netting and you didn't want dirty stuff inside sleeping area. Nearly doubles the weight though. This to me is not for thru hiking but setting up a camp for a few days in one place in and out kinda thing or car camping.

Both are freestanding. This is nice for moving or picking up and finding that one rock right in the middle of your back but the rain fly tarp needs to be tied out for the vestibules. I hear the Carbon reflex that's coming is not freestanding.

Images

I think it is awesome you are being so supportive of your granddaughter's proposed hike! That is pretty awesome.

I was wondering if this was going to be a surprise, or if you have talked to your granddaughter about what she is looking for in a tent. Going UL is awesome, but there are many options out there. Since she is the one who has to carry it and live in it, you might want to gather some input, or include her in the decision making process (prior to arriving at REI). Choosing the right gear can be a fun and amazing memory for the both of you!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    If a free-standing tent is desired, the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2 (not much heavier than the UL 1 person) is very light for a free standing tent and generally gets good reviews. Available at REI and others, but it's a pricey tent.
    If you want a free-standing tent that doesn't require addition equipment (such as cottage industry tents that reuse treking poles for tent poles), I would agree with the BA CS UL2... tons more space for a single person compared to basically no extra wiggle room in the UL1.

But the bigger advice I have on purchasing a tent from the mainstream manufacturers (Big Agnes, Kelty, Marmot, etc)... wait until they are on sale between Christmas and Easter. Since your grand daughter isn't going for two years, she has some time to accumulate gear, and I find this time-frame to be an excellent time to daily check out websites like REI, Campmor, Backcountry, Campsaver, and SierraTradingPost. This is the time frame that they are trying to sell last-year's gear before the gear for the new year comes out. If a product is under-going a major change for the new year, you can really get some good deals on the older-style stuff. But you have to be patient and watch.

As examples of deals I've pickup in the past:
    BA CS UL2 with ground cloth for $375 (Full retail would have been about $470).
    Marmot Traillight 2P tent for $110 (Full retail would have been about $200).
    Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 20ş Sleeping bag for $135 (Full retail would have been $280).

You've just got to be willing to be patient and a little flexible in what you're willing to purchase.

I am looking at all the various tents mentioned and sending the info along to my g'daughter. Of course she will be the one to select the tent - I'm just trying to get an idea of what to consider plus an estimate of cost. I'm hoping she will find something about $350 or less.

CarlZ993, I know what you're saying! I tried it at age 56 and was only able to complete approx. 900 miles total. it's one of the reasons I'm so excited that my granddaughter is going to try to do what I couldn't, and I'll help her in any way I can.
    Congrats on your efforts to support your Granddaughter. She will remember it forever. Besides equipment, an occasional gift card (Subway or Walmart or similar) would help her on the trail. Trail magic from Grandpa!
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Someone (Gram Weenie) on the board here has a Tarptent Contrail for sale at $175, I believe. I like the 6 Moon Designs Lunar Solo (26 sq. ft. with 8.5 sq ft vestibule @ 24 ounces without stakes) at $250 seam sealed and shipped (also have "beefier" model Solo LE for $225 sealed and shipped). I just bought a used but new condition one which will be my UL tent going forward. 6 Moon also offers the Skyscape model for around $150 seam sealed if money is an issue. I did see someone has a sale going on with the Big Agnes Fly Creeks UL1 = $247 and UL2 $292 shipped price, just Google search the tent. If I hadn't bought the Lunar Solo, I would have went for the Big Agnes @ $292.

I had a MSR Hubba 1 person and managed to stay sub 10lbs on my thru in 2012. It was a good relatively light but sturdy free standing tent.

Took a solong 6 from light heart gear on a pemigewasset loop hike a couple weeks ago. Under 2lbs and is really roomy for 1 person + gear and is under $350. Setting up on platforms was no problem and never had any condensation issues (as long as you leave all your flaps open). If I had a bigger budget I probably would of went with the Z-packs Duplex, but you are looking at $600. I know a lot of other people have had good things to say about the MLD duomid as well ($240).

++ New Posts ++