WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Planning a section hike in VA - need resupply info

I'm starting in harpers ferry and heading south. I'm not comfortable hitching. I tend to walk 15-18 miles per day. Where are good places to resupply ?

Also, where are good places to get transportation back to harpers ferry ? I can take 2 weeks off work. Maybe a little more if needed to get to a place with transportation.

Thanks !

Journal Entries

You should pick up the AT data book 2015 edition. You can buy it at your local outdoor store, or directly from ATC for $6.95. It is the most comprehensive publication I know of for the information you are looking for.
    It will list all the shelters/campsites, lodging, re-supply, water - and of course distances.
    Once you have the book, you can use Google Maps to determine the exact location, and find transportation.
    What I also recommend is installing Google Earth on your computer, and downloading the .kml file of the entire AT from the ATC here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/abou...l-gis-gps-data

you need to choose kml file for Google Earth.
    You can download the trail, shelters, and parking data.
    Once you have the .kml files, simply start Google Earth, then open the files.

Arden

There will be no need to hitch-hike. If your hiking for 2 weeks going south from Harpers Ferry, then you will be spending most of your time in the SNP, where there are ample opportunities to buy food along the way from the various Waysides, restaurants and camp stores.

If you stay at the Bears Den Hostel, you can get enough odds and ends there to make it to Front Royal. At Front Royal there are several hostels which also provide a ride into town to the grocery store.

You will likely end the hike in Waynesboro (Rockfish Gap) where you can call any number of different Trail Angles who will come get you and take you into town. A few of these people will also shuttle you back to Harpers Ferry. The ride to town is free, the ride back to HF will not be.

Keep in mind that your second day out you will encounter what is called "The Roller Coaster". It's a series of closely spaced 500 foot ups and downs which goes on for nearly 14 miles. It's real work out on a hot day. Stopping at the Bears Den Hostel breaks that section up into two parts.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++