Default I want a hat I can fit over my bun

I know I can wear a visor, but it doesn't offer very good sun protection. Has anyone ever cut a hole in the top of their hat so their bun can fit? I'm seriously thinking of taking a seam ripper to this floppy hat I have, taking off the top and replacing it with something that has a drawstring I can cinch up around my bun.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

If you're wearing a high bun- a men's sized floppy wide brim hat might work.
    If you're wearing it a bit lower- men's ballcap would work- either tie a pony tail first and then bun it up, or get a camping style one with the buckle in the back so it's easy to slip on.

I typically just wear the visor, but add a bandana for sun protection and evaporative cooling. I also have a bit of long underwear/baselayer type fabric I got from Jo-Ann that I cut into bandana sized squares and hemmed the edges. I'm typically carrying a bandana or two anyway, it's easier to keep clean, and I just set it on my head and slip the visor on. Easy to reconfigure too for some added neck and ear protection too.

The more hair you got, the more the visor works better. You can also easily reconfigure the strap to replace your headlamp strap.

Otherwise you got the right idea with the floppy hat- usually the vertical seam is in the back and it wouldn't be hard to open it up. Probably don't need a drawcord, maybe just some stretch binding to seal the edges.

Images

I wear my hair in a bun under a hat everyday...

(im a dude btw)

i find wearing it without being in a bun gets too much in the way of working..

now many would say---just cut it the then..

thats not an option...

i have found hats with hole for pony tails in then but didnt like them...

currently the best hat I've found is a cadet hat I think they call it...

cheap thing I got off eBay..

no logos or anything like that.....purposely as I don't wanna endorse corporations at this point...

the cadet hat seems to have more room than a regular ballcap....

pony tail--a twist and in the hat it goes.....

My problem is that the pony tail seems to pull and give me headaches sometimes...

i would braid it if possible but i can't braid backwards...

and and this is the way I wear it when I hike/backpack as well....

I put the bun at the top of my head. Any lower and it flops around too much. My hair is pretty long, fine and flyaway. It drives me nuts. Braids are my other option, but the bun really gets the little ones around my face out of the way. Of course the bun is probably to blame for all theses shorter wisps driving me nuts.

Images

My hair is pretty long, fine and flyaway.

thats pretty much how mine is.............along with very thick........

havent had a haircut in eleven years so im down to my ass in it ....

yeah...

i deal with the flop...

i put the base of the bun sorta through the hole where the snap connector is and wind the rest up under the hat.......

i really havent found the "perfect" hat yet, but dealing with these cadet hats isnt that bad....

also, i seemingly wont pay alot for a hat=-----saw a great hat at an outfitters a few years ago but couldnt mustard the thought of paying like 70 bucks for it........

I wouldn't pay $70 for a hat, either.

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

I think buns are illegal in the Smokies.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

++ New Posts ++