WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post Cooking system shakedown

I have a base weight of just over 11lb. In comparison with my other systems my cook system seems heavy. Am I concerned without cause.I would appreciate any comments.I don't want to go down the beer can pot route for health concerns. I realise a mug as well as pot is a bit of a luxury. Any lightweight cosy ideas- mine is the usual silver insulation material.

MSR Ti mug 1.7

MSR Titan kettle and lid 3.5

Stuff sac 0.5

Cosy 2.5

Caldera Cones- Flissure and Infernal 3.0

Spoon, lighter, syringe 1.4

FeatherFire stove 1.7

FF Cook system 14.3 oz
    Last edited by English Stu; 06-18-2015 at 17:32.

What's the syringe for? And what are Flisssure and Infernal? Two different cones?
    One idea is to weigh the kettle lid independently and device if a piece of foil would suffice. On average I see a lot of folks kits coming in around 9oz, but at 11lb I wouldn't change my cook kit if I liked how everything worked together.

Journal Entries

Alcy stoves can be light but often when you get all the bells and whistles you can do better and lighter with a canister or even a Jetboil - which you are almost competing with their lightest but now discontinued but still available Jetboil Sol Ti. Replacing your stuff sack, syringe, (and not listed alcy bottle) cozy, cone and your stove with a under $10 canister stove would get you the same cooking abilities and would save weight - even with inefficiencies of no wind screen and no cozy need to use fuel to simmer (6.8 oz for the el-cheapo stove + a empty canister vs 7.7 + weight of the syringe + fuel bottle).

To get it really light with alcy you generally have to deal with flimsiness.

You have a adjustable burner, is that needed? Many alky stoves are way less then 1 oz (many less then 0.5 of). I have paired the cone with the Starlyte stove and used a washer to give it a simmer mode, just place it on top of the flames.

You might consider going with a Toaks Ti pot which is lighter gauge Ti then the MSR kettle, but that would also require new cones. However that new cone may be lighter also as the Toaks is narrower and may be a narrower cone overall so less material and weight. Not sure it works that way with the cone as they may change the angle of the cone instead so the base circle is constant - but if it does make the cone narrower it could give a double weight savings.
    Last edited by Starchild; 06-17-2015 at 08:57.

You should also tell us what kind of cooking you do. Are you ONLY boiling ~2 cups of water for dehydrated meals? Do you sometimes cook actual food in the pot like ramen or Knorr? Do you need simmer and longer runtimes to cook an actual real meal?

All those are questions I ask myself before I pack for a certain trip. What kind of food I'm going to have dictates which one of my stove setups I take. That can vary from alcohol, to esbit, to small lightweight canister stove, to my "deluxe cooking setup" with remote canister stove with gentle simmering ability, larger pot, an actual full set of spoon/knife/fork (still titanium and folding and a frying pan even!

I thought the MSR titan kettle was 4.2 oz.
    Have one but never weighed it.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    I thought the MSR titan kettle was 4.2 oz.
    Have one but never weighed it.
    Sounds like he might have weighted it without the lid. I know I've weighted mine at some point, and it's not nearly a full oz off the spec.

Journal Entries

My 4.2 oz MSR kettle is 4.3 oz

Your cozy seems a tad on the heavy side. I have a pot cozy made out of a car sunshade for my 1.3L pot that only weighs like 1.1oz.

If your doing FBC, you could certainly find a lighter system. I made a FBC only esbit setup for about 4.8oz once. That included a 500ml Ti pot.

However, I prefer cooking in my pot. A 1.3L evernew. My cook kit is up there around 13oz. I have a CC Ti-tri with inferno. I offset the weight of my entire cookset by carrying esbit or alcohol backup and burning mainly wood. Don't have to carry much fuel that way. Typically 1-2oz of HEET or 1-2 esbit tabs.

Thanks for the comments.The flissure and infernals are home made Ti cones,the infernal can burn twigs,the flissure is jointed to fit in the pot.The syringe is to reclaim unburnt fuel.The Feather fire is very frugal on fuel. I have made several alky stoves but none have compared with the FF; I think that is do with the accurate engineering compared with mine.
    Yes I am just boiling water. I do have different lid for the pot, I will check the weight.
    I was out over the last weekend and I realised I wasn't using the cosy. I need to think what/how I going to cook and not just think this is my system and put it into the bag.
    Not keen on canisters environmentally but they certainly have merit. Because of fire regulations when I did the JMT I did use a canister stove, there was a need to carry a back up canister and so add weight. I guess I could start weighing and knowing the life left in a canister.
    Last edited by English Stu; 06-18-2015 at 17:40.

Default Cookpot shakedown

I can see where I can shave a few ounces off. On closer inspection I ditched a little cosy I had for the mug, a hidden away MSR pot scrubber and bail handle. I am testing some of my other pop can stoves for use with the cones and looking for some lighter cosy material.

Images

If you boil 1 beer can pot full of water and spill it out, all the BPA goes with it. Watch Gossamer Gear for a super light weight kit coming out in few weeks.

Default Cookpot shakedown

Thanks Zelph, I will keep an a lookout for the Gossamer Gear. I am tempted to look at the beer can solution.

I just starting using a canister stove and love it! I have a 2 oz lite Max stove plus a 3.4 oz ever new pasta pot. Add the 3.5 oz of empty canister and it totals about 9 oz. I can get at least 8 dinners out of one small canister. The canisters can now be recycled which is a plus for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am happy with my Esbit setup.
    Esbit Ti stove: 0.4 oz
    Ti spork 0.3 oz
    Snowpeak 600 ti 2.8 oz
    lighter 0.4
    brew basket 0.1
    Mug lid 1.0 ?
    Foil screen 1.0 ?

About 6 oz. I still need to weigh the last two pieces, but I'm close.

I usually heat up water in the mug and add it to a freeze dried pouch, but sometimes eat from the mug.

Esbit fuel is about .5 oz per tab, iirc.
    10 tabs: 5.0 oz (2nite, 2 person, enough for 8 meals, 2 coffees)

++ New Posts ++