WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mml373 View Post
    What is the recommended procedure for preparing water on the AT? My understanding is that I can either boil all water, or (after filtering with the Sawyer) I'll need to also treat with aqua-mira drops (2-part process.)
    If you're immunocompromised (HIV positive, a transplant patient, on immunosuppressants for lupus, ...) you might need to be that rigorous. Most hikers don't have known immune system problems. For the fortunate majority among us:

Filtration alone is likely to be perfectly adequate. The filter will remove protozoa (Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Entamoeba histolytica...) and bacteria (Shigella, Salmonella, E. coli, ...) which are the things that are likely to give you the most trouble. It doesn't remove viruses, but unless you're immunocompromised, you're not likely to get a life-threatening virus from surface waters in the eastern US. We don't have monkeys that carry hepatitis A or polio - and very little of either in our human population.

Aqua Mira alone is also likely to be adequate, unless you're in an area with a known Cryptosporidium problem. It's decently effective against Giardia and Entamoeba if you give it the full contact time or longer. Crypto is rather more resistant, but it's pretty rare. It's effective against all the common bacteria and viruses.

When some of us talk about carrying Aqua Mira as a backup to a filter, that doesn't usually mean using both methods on the same water. Filters have been known to get clogged, crack, freeze, or spring leaks, and a couple of phials of Aqua Mira is less weight than a second filter. If a filter freezes, it's likely worthless because of microscopic cracks that it got when the water expanded inside it, and needs to be discarded.

A much more important principle: wash your hands. Hand-to-hand and hand-to-mouth transmission is how most of these things spread. Soap if you can, hand sanitizer if you must (because of water shortage - there's no excuse for not carrying soap). And do it often. The tree that you just grabbed onto to get up a stream bank, or the shelter register you were just reading, were handled by God knows how many hikers' unwashed hands before you.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

+1 on what Kevin said.

Boiling water is a real pain in the butt. Think about it -- you're out on a hot day, hiking, running low on water, and you come to a nice cold spring. You pull out your stove, fill it with beautiful cold water, bring it to a boil, and -- er, what now? Drink it? Put it in your water bottles and wait a few hours?

The Sawyer filter will take out anything nasty on the AT. If you are really worried, carry some Aqua Mira tablets and toss one into the bottle after filtering. You can drink nice cold water in 15-30 minutes.

Stay away from farm runoff sources, like larger rivers down in the valleys, as they can have heavy metal contamination that no hiker water treatment will eliminate.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I have an extensive gear list, UL, LT WT, JMT with weights and costs. If interested send me a PM with your email and I will forward.....

ditto...on the water info...forget about boiling water. You'll need to carry a case of canisters for the fuel required. The sawyer plus aqua-mira is a good choice. I have also used bleach drops to treat water. (without a filter). The problem with going chemical only...is that Aqua-Mira "offically" takes 4 hours to kill crypto. Most people just use the 30 minutes. The sawyer is so easy to use, there is really no reason not to use it. Most of the water is okay, but you never know, and your trip will be ruined if you get sick. As mentioned already..hand washing...hand washing....(when leading a group of teens...this is one of the hardest things to enforce). And don't let anyone reach their hand into your trail mix bag...share...but pour it out yourself!!!

Most of the water sources are probably fine. But during a dry spell, you might have to use a less than perfect looking water source. So, filter and treat!

It might be a military thing. But I have seen soldiers taking a hiking break R&R in NC...and they all seem to carry a tremendous amount of water.
    Water is so heavy, and the trail guide info about water sources pretty good, it really makes sense to carry a minimal amount. When there is a questionable stretch, you can carry an extra liter.

Per advice here, I am thinking about taking the extended July 4th weekend (Thursday through Sunday) and doing a multi-day on the AT, starting and ending at Springer Mountain (leave out next Thursday, return Sunday morning.)

What do I need to know, as far as getting to the trailhead goes, as well as any other things? Where do I park for multiple days? I do not have any planning materials yet (on order, may have arrived by now but I'm out of town on business...)

Thanks in advance.
    Planning for a North-South thru-hike to begin...one of these days...

Sense this in the straight forward any advice you get here about what gear you should or should not take, take with a grain of salt.

The first part of backpacking is figuring out where you want to hike. If you are going to hike in IL for example, you are going to carry different equipment than someone doing the Rocky Mountains, or starting a northbound thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. Where you are hiking, what season all matter.

How you want to hike? Are you planning on spending most of the time camping or do you like to hike long days? Are you hiking with someone or hiking alone?

These questions may sound simple but they it makes a different when you are figuring out what equipment is right for YOU.

Finally, look at any piece of equipment and see how many ways you can use it. A trash bag can be used to keep your stuff dry, a ground tarp, a poncho, etc. Knowing how to use your equipment in multiple ways, that how you can become UL.

Hope this helps.

Wolf

just a suggestion, but it might be a bit easier for your first trip logistics-wise if you find something closer to home... somewhere where you can fashion a loop. head out on the AT for three days and your gonna have to get a shuttle... or spend half your time backtracking. plus you'll waste a half a day each way just driving to and from Georgia.

how's the planning going? gathering gear and such?

I've been away from home for a couple weeks, so no planning or gathering gear. I have a guide on order from the AT Conservancy and can begin planning once I receit it. Other than that, just have been watching lots of YouTube videos and reading here to see what others have done.

I have been hiking a number of Missouri State Parks lately...probably will just go out for my multi-day at one or two of those. Sam Baker SP was nice. Hawn SP looks nice from what I can tell but probably not as rugged as the trails I hiked at Sam Baker. Taum Sauk may be my best best for a challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by mml373 View Post
    I've been away from home for a couple weeks, so no planning or gathering gear. I have a guide on order from the AT Conservancy and can begin planning once I receit it. Other than that, just have been watching lots of YouTube videos and reading here to see what others have done.

I have been hiking a number of Missouri State Parks lately...probably will just go out for my multi-day at one or two of those. Sam Baker SP was nice. Hawn SP looks nice from what I can tell but probably not as rugged as the trails I hiked at Sam Baker. Taum Sauk may be my best best for a challenge...
    I highly recommend the Taum Sauk section of the Ozark Trail. I did it earlier this year when I was down your way. I finished the hike at MO's highest point on Taum Sauk mountain and the final climb up was very rewarding and reminded me a little of the AT. (though there is no view from the summit) I carried no more than 2 liters of water at a time BUT that was in cooler weather. If I went this time of year I would be prepared to carry 3 liters and camel up at the sources. I used iodine mostly but did carry the Sawyer mini to try out. Either will work fine. In comparison to the AT, the OT is a bit harder to follow. Blazing is much less frequent, and the trail is not maintained as well in spots. (I'm not complaining, I volunteered for a trail building weekend and they work their butts off.) The terrain is quite a bit easier thanks to smaller climbs and excellent grading. The Ozarks are a great place to backpack. O, and the Ozark Trail Association provides a ton of great info at ozarktrail.com including gps tracks and free downloadable maps with water sources.

Thank you for your serving for our country. Enjoy your 4th of July.

Quote Originally Posted by putts View Post
    I highly recommend the Taum Sauk section of the Ozark Trail. I did it earlier this year when I was down your way. I finished the hike at MO's highest point on Taum Sauk mountain and the final climb up was very rewarding and reminded me a little of the AT. (though there is no view from the summit) I carried no more than 2 liters of water at a time BUT that was in cooler weather. If I went this time of year I would be prepared to carry 3 liters and camel up at the sources. I used iodine mostly but did carry the Sawyer mini to try out. Either will work fine. In comparison to the AT, the OT is a bit harder to follow. Blazing is much less frequent, and the trail is not maintained as well in spots. (I'm not complaining, I volunteered for a trail building weekend and they work their butts off.) The terrain is quite a bit easier thanks to smaller climbs and excellent grading. The Ozarks are a great place to backpack. O, and the Ozark Trail Association provides a ton of great info at ozarktrail.com including gps tracks and free downloadable maps with water sources.

Thank you for your serving for our country. Enjoy your 4th of July.

Putts, thank you. I just completed a 1.5 day hike at Sam Baker. It was a blast, although poison ivy has gotten so bad that part of the trail was impassable to this hiker wearing trail shoes and shorts, and I had to turn back just a few miles shy of making a complete loop around the park. I ended up completing 10 miles yesterday afternoon (about 4.5 hours walking time) on some awfully rugged and hilly terrain. I initially intended to camp in the woods, but since I had to turn back actually made it back to the shelters a mile or two from the trailhead. Thunderstorms nearby around midnight, then rain from about 1 in the morning till daybreak. It was nice...

Went out for another 5 or 6 miles today.

Trail markings left a little to be desired. In talking to the park staff, sounds like I was the first person they've had hiking that far down those trails in awhile. What a shame, LOL... I have the impression not too many folks hike Sam Baker, given Taum Sauk isn't too terribly far away. The rocks on the entire trail got to be a bit annoying...given the rain and constant uphill/downhill over the entire trail both days, it was a slick experience and those rocks don't exactly keep your feet pointed the direction you'd planned on them being when you put them down. It was a good conditioning hike for me, and a good test of equipment. I'll be back this fall (no hiking for me again till September or October due to family stuff and an upcoming Half Marathon in September.)

Oh, as a followup. I will note that I have a very sore bum, where my pack rests, after a couple days on the trail. Pack weight was (still) about 38 pounds this trip (including food, water, fuel). I am using an Osprey Exos 58, size medium. Being a thin fellow, I found I have to have the waist belt cinched all the way in order to get the shoulder straps how I like them (not tight, not loose), but when I'm soaked in sweat the pack will slide downward and I assume this is the cause of soreness (please correct me if I'm wrong).

What are my options for resolving this? Is it a conditioning issue, or a pack fit issue? (Size Small packs feel too small, so I'd rather not have to buy a smaller pack if I can avoid it).

Thanks in advance.

you may need a medium torso pack, but a small hip belt. also, I think you may be knocking on the upper weight limit for that pack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++