WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "New" Hiker Question

I am a brand new user here and am getting into hiking (backpacking) for the first time in my adult life. I have had some backpacking experience in my younger days, but never the interest that has recently kindled. I would like to thru-hike the AT next summer and am blessed to be in a position to do so, but need substantial help with planning just how to do it. I need to get a clue about what to bring, where to stay on the trail while hiking, trail rules, etc., etc., and etc.

Pack weight is one concern. I have recently upgraded my backpacking gear to newer stuff, some of which is considered "ultra light", but still come to 37 pounds of pack weight including about 10 pounds of water. My tent is a 2-person tent, very light, so I see room for only a small savings there (not substantial). Sleeping bag is also extremely light. Not sure where the weight is adding up except for water, sunscreen/bug repellent/bear spray (LOL) that I carry on short hikes close to home. My pack may be another source of weight (Osprey 58 liter.)

Water reservoir is a 3L bag, and I carry another liter in 2 bottles.

Anyhow...I'll continue looking through the forums here for some answers, but would appreciate any suggestions others are willing to post here. Thanks in advance.

So that means 27 pounds without water. Which is respectable for just starting out and just 10-15 years ago would be considered light ish. On the AT or anywhere in the southern Appalachians you would not need to cary that much water and I'd bet you are more in the ballpark than you think you are but you will need to go out for a one to two week shake down cruise to figure out what your personal style will be.
    You don't say how much you weigh, but if you can load up a three season kit with seven days worth of food including two water bottles, then figure out how to get that weight down to about 40-42 and you would be in great shape.
    If you were not joking about the bear spray then ditch it immediately.

10 pounds of water is 6-8 pounds too much, excepting desert hiking and short hauls to a dry camp. The usual culprits in excess pack weight are extra clothes, "safety" gear, and food. The search function will bring you endless threads on the subject. Also, see The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher, among other books.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

There is an incredible wealth of information in the articles section of whiteblaze. Read them and then ask questions.

Be careful, armchair backpacking is a lot easier than actually backpacking. There is 3 out of 4 chance that long distance isn't for you. Ideally you should plan a shorter term goal on a shorter trail after trying a few overnights. Ideally, your initial trips after you have the basics down should include bad weather. The reality is that in long distance backpacking you may go days between dry days and there isn't a an option to just wait it out. Some folks will just keep on hiking while others will decide its not their cup of tea. A nice option is the Long Trail in VT. Its long enough to practice with resupply but a obtainable goal.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    There is an incredible wealth of information in the articles section of whiteblaze. Read them and then ask questions.

Be careful, armchair backpacking is a lot easier than actually backpacking. There is 3 out of 4 chance that long distance isn't for you. Ideally you should plan a shorter term goal on a shorter trail after trying a few overnights. Ideally, your initial trips after you have the basics down should include bad weather. The reality is that in long distance backpacking you may go days between dry days and there isn't a an option to just wait it out. Some folks will just keep on hiking while others will decide its not their cup of tea. A nice option is the Long Trail in VT. Its long enough to practice with resupply but a obtainable goal.
    Great information, and I really appreciate everyone's posts.

A little background...Iraq/Afghanistan veteran, meteorology education/experience, very headstrong and used to rucking 35-40 pounds often at a run over a distance of 4 miles in very hilly terrain (and winning those races by minutes). A bit on the light side...I'm a 132 pound competitive runner dude who finds outdoor challenges exciting. I agree that at least a few multi-day backpacking trips are worth pursuing before I hit the AT.

I've done some day hikes lately...latest was at Sam Baker State Park in Missouri...which is somewhat of a rugged trail, especially hiking back uphill on a switchback section... It would be nice to find a group to do some multi-days with.

I'll have a look at the articles section, and will check on the book mentioned (and other resources.) Definitely want to get this done before I get too much older (early 40s now), and eventually want to see how fast I can make it through on an unsupported hike. Years away from an attempt. :-)

Thank you,

Mike

Carrying too much water, food, and clothing is a common beginner's mistake. Heck, I still carry too much water at times. Good advice here.

Images

The Colin Fletcher book mentioned above was first published in the 60s -- it's sort of the original bible for backpackers. There's a lot of the "why to" and "how to" in there, but of course modern gear obviates the need to carry a Fletcheresque 55 pound pack. The 4th edition is maybe ten years old, written with a co-author, and still a very good read. But again, not a book specific to a long hike on the AT. (But still, I have three of the four editions. CF is one of my favorite writers.)

If you go to Paul Magnati's web site (trailname Mags), take a look at the "quick and dirty guide to the AT." It's a great place to start.

Then go to the ATC web site where there are several "how to hike the AT" books, any of which should provide a lot of guidance. You'll want one of the thru-hikers guidebooks, too, either the Companion or the AT Guide. I would take the map books instead of buying all the individual maps. But I like maps.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I've never carried that much water. The most I've ever carried was 3 liters and I rarely if ever carry even that much. Usually I carry 2 liters, maybe 2.5 liters. Usually, I don't even need to carry that much, but I hate to resupplying on water so I try to do it only twice a day: once for lunch and one at camp.

Weight is a big thing to many here. If you can carry that much, what does it matter? You don't need to be ultralight. I think any pack under 30lbs with food and water is respectable. I would only go lighter if I couldn't complete my mile goals or my body was getting beaten up.

On the AT, I have yet come across a section that requires anywhere near that much water. I carry more than I should simply because I hate stopping. You could do much of the AT with a single 1 liter water bottle. There are ample locations to refill.

For me, my summer pack is between 25-27 lbs and my winter pack is between 30-32 lbs.

Since you have the right mindset and the gear to get you out there. I say just get out there and get some real hiking experience before making any gear purchases. Plan and go on a few multiday/overnight trips and learn how to use your equipment.

When you find out what you dislike/like about the item and looking for a better solution, then ask your questions. There is no best gear, all have their inherent advantages and disadvantages.

Find YOUR hiking style, and then we'll help you find some gear you'll truly enjoy and be happy with.

You'll also learn a lot of how much water you need to carry and how much food to bring. I still always bring too much food, however, now it's down to a couple extra snacks rather than a full days worth of food.

You can learn a ton on here, I certainly have. However, I've learned way more by getting out on the trail for a few days. As I said, it's best to get out there and find what you want out of your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The Colin Fletcher book mentioned above was first published in the 60s -- it's sort of the original bible for backpackers. There's a lot of the "why to" and "how to" in there, but of course modern gear obviates the need to carry a Fletcheresque 55 pound pack. The 4th edition is maybe ten years old, written with a co-author, and still a very good read. But again, not a book specific to a long hike on the AT. (But still, I have three of the four editions. CF is one of my favorite writers.)
    I agree with BC, Fletcher does a nice job in all the versions of his books. He is a long distance (real wilderness trekker) backpacker who hauled his 55 lbs of food, water, and gear in a "bloody great sac" all over creation and back. Not everything in his books will be necessary on the AT, but sure is handy to know about. He was a true pioneer backpacker, being the first person to walk a continuous route through the Grand Canyon that was within the National Park boundaries at that time in "one go" (see the book "Walking Through Time"), in 1958 he walked the eastern side of CA alone ("Thousand Mile Summer"). His Complete Walker is written in a wilderness travel state of mind, with very limited resupply, water sources, and being out of communication for weeks on end.

Though some of what he discusses has been put astern by new gear, the great majority of the book will provide a lot of information, education, and food for thought for anyone new to backpacking. In my view it should be required reading before doing much else. It will give you a solid foundation of the language of the trail, gear and selection, and how to manage the daily processes of body, gear, food, and water going up and down hills for months on end with a trail or as a bushwhack of a few hundred miles.

He was a celebrated guy both on and off the trail and became a spiritual leader for backpackers in the late 60s to the early 2000's before his passing in 2007. I would bet serious money that most of the people on this board who have cleared the 40 year old mark have read some of his work.

Best thing right now is to do as much hiking as you can and get out on shorter backpacking trips. Start with a weekend, then go longer if you can. Can you take a week or two this summer to find out whether you like mulit-day trips? You'll learn what you need, what you want, and what you don't need or want with you. As long as you have the basics, what you carry isn't that important. (FWIW, on my first thruhike I had all the wrong gear. I still finished.) You can always change your gear if what you have isn't optimum.

As others have said, on the AT you will not need to carry more than 2 liters of water at any time. There are a lot of springs and streams to fill up during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    Best thing right now is to do as much hiking as you can and get out on shorter backpacking trips. Start with a weekend, then go longer if you can. Can you take a week or two this summer to find out whether you like mulit-day trips? You'll learn what you need, what you want, and what you don't need or want with you. As long as you have the basics, what you carry isn't that important. (FWIW, on my first thruhike I had all the wrong gear. I still finished.) You can always change your gear if what you have isn't optimum.

As others have said, on the AT you will not need to carry more than 2 liters of water at any time. There are a lot of springs and streams to fill up during the day.
    This is a great point. If I could go back and change my gear before I started my LT thru hike. 90% of the gear I carried would have been different. Not necessarily more expensive or newer technology, just more tailored for my style of hiking and the LT. I still finished with a smile on my face.

I plan to do the LT again with a buddy of mine someday. And what I gained in experience in that hike will be directly related to what will be in my pack for that second end to end

Thanks, everyone. This is certainly an adventure, and I'm excited. I have some time off from work over the July 4th weekend...so will plan for a 3-day backpacking trip then. I have a "favorite" State Park a couple hours from home that offers some fairly rugged trails (Missouri Ozarks), and can hike those trails (and others at nearby parks) for days at a time.

I really do appreciate the advice everyone has offered. Getting excited...

tent...weigh it...it might be more than you think. Understand that through GA,NC/TN,VA you can use a tarp. No bug protection is needed.
    Even in summer, mosquitoes are not a problem on the AT in NC and VA. Your "light'" two person tent is probably 4 pounds. You can replace it with a tarp and ground cloth. Look for a Silnylon tarp. A simple one is pretty affordable. Your tent might have a "fastpack" option. This is where you use the rainfly with a footprint. (when using a tarp further north you might need to get bug netting that fits under the tarp)

Water treatment...are you using an "old" style pump. (1lb)? consider aqua-mira drops or a sawyer (full or mini).

Stove...consider using Esbit tablets or alcohol stove (make a supercat stove and use homemade windscreen). One small pot...
    I would definitely experiment with different stoves to see what you actually like. Most people cook things that just require hot water.

Be harsh reviewing your spare clothes...most people bring too many clothes...

Remember you won't really be going on a 4 month hike in an isolated wilderness. You'll have the opportunity to resupply every week.

It sounds like you are certainly fit enough to carry a heavy pack...but most people really enjoy hiking much more with a lighter load.

a great way to examine your weight is to get some digital scales(i got one for like $10 on amazon), list-out your gear in a spreadsheet with the individual weights. and there you have it, in black and white, where all of your weight is.

the spreadsheet doubles as a checklist for when you're getting packed for a trip.

GAME 06

mml373. Hi.

In your OP you indicated 37 lbs with 10 lbs of water. But you do not say how many days of food are in the pack. This might also be a place where you are over packed.

Food should be lightweight selections (lots in the food section of WB to review) and should not weigh more than about 2 lbs a day (maybe 2.2 500 miles up trail when your body thinks it is starving). There are not too many places on the AT where you would need more than 4 days of food and many times only 2 or 3 days worth.

There are lots of suggested gear lists in various places to review and give you ideas about cutting weight.

It sounds like you know plenty about humping and hiking and I would expect that you would love the trail.

Most people, myself included, start off too heavy when they start, or return, to backpacking. Without looking at a gear list of yours, it's hard to make specific recommendations (take that... don't take that). When most experienced backpackers talk about pack weight, they are usually talking about 'Base Pack Weight' - before food, fuel, & water. FF&W also adds weight to your pack but will fluctuate during the course of your backpacking trek. The most important thing to purchase is a digital scale. You can either create a spreadsheet or use an online website (www.geargrams.com for ex) to tabulate your gear's individual weight. I work on the backpacking mantra that 'Ounces become pounds... and pounds become pain.'

You can start with trying to reduce your weight in the 'Big 4' systems: Shelter system (tent, tarp, hammock, etc), sleep system (sleeping bag/quilt, pad, etc), cook systems (stove, pots, cups, utensils) & pack system (backpack & associated stuff sacks). 'Traditional' gear (sold @ REI & other similar vendors) can be - but not always - heavier than some of the 'cottage industry' gear providers. There are trade-offs for durability vs ultra-lightweight. A 1-person 'traditional' tent can weigh ~3 lbs or less (Big Agnes comes to mind; I don't carry a 2-person tent if I'm solo; excess weight). A down 20-deg sleeping bag can weigh 2 lbs or less. A pad can weigh less than a pound. A 1-person cook pot (~1L or less) can weigh 5 oz or less. You only need a spoon (0.4 oz or so). Cup is optional but can weigh 2 oz or so (Sea to Summit X-Mug). A canister stove can weigh 4 oz or less. An alcohol stove can weigh around an ounce. Your 'traditional' backpack for your reduced-sized gear can be 3 lbs or so. Ultra-sil nylon stuff sacks are very light & appropriate for your sleeping bag, clothes, & other items (toiletries, essentials, etc).

If you go the cottage industry route, these weights can go down substantially. They use lighter weight fabric - cuben fiber for example. Using myself as an example: I have a cuben fiber tent & ground sheet that weighs less than 1.5 lbs. A small cuben fiber pack that weighs around 18 oz. A down, 20-deg bag that weighs just under 2 lbs & a full-length sleeping pad that weighs 12 oz. I have a titanium 0.9 L pot that weighs 5.1 oz & a canister stove that weighs < 3 oz. If I use my alcohol stove, it weighs just over an ounce.

As others have pointed out, people tend to take too many clothes (duplicates) than they need. A 'typical' clothes bag for me include: long underwear (tops & bottoms), knit cap, liner gloves, insulating jacket (fleece, synthetic or down-filled), extra socks (usually 1 extra pair, 2 if I'm out for a long hike), extra running shorts (my underwear), rain jacket, & rain pants. If the temps expected are much hotter or colder than typical 3-season backpacking, this will be amended appropriately.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your return to backpacking. It is a beautiful world out there that is nice to see @ 2 MPH.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Images

Weighing everything you carry is a great idea - and forces you to think about
    whether the item is worth the weight you'll be carrying. Something that weighs
    4 oz does not feel heavy to heft in your hand, but get rid of 4 of these lightweight
    items and you've shaved a pound. Spare clothes, safety items and "all contingencies"
    first aid kits add a lot of weight you can do without.

With respect to water, be "tactical" when you decide how much to carry. On stretches of
    trail with dependable water sources, just fill (maybe partially) your water bladder and
    leave the bottles empty. Guidebook info and hikers coming toward you usually give you
    a pretty good idea about water availability. Only load up with lots of water when you expect
    water to be scarce.

Do some 2-3 day trips to see what you really need and use in your kit. You'll flush
    the extras pretty quick and probably pick up an item or two that you realize is good
    to have.

- SS

Quote Originally Posted by booney_1 View Post
    Water treatment...are you using an "old" style pump. (1lb)? consider aqua-mira drops or a sawyer (full or mini).

Stove...consider using Esbit tablets or alcohol stove (make a supercat stove and use homemade windscreen). One small pot...
    I would definitely experiment with different stoves to see what you actually like. Most people cook things that just require hot water.
    Booney_1,

Just a reply to your note. I carry a Sawyer mini pump. Having to deal with purifying water is actually something new to me. In the past I was able to bring enough water along that I didn't have to worry about purifying "fresh" water.

What is the recommended procedure for preparing water on the AT? My understanding is that I can either boil all water, or (after filtering with the Sawyer) I'll need to also treat with aqua-mira drops (2-part process.)

I have a Micro Rocket stove that uses small canisters. It is efficient and fast enough for my purposes, and I like it. Noodles, coffee, oatmeal, etc. are easy to prepare. I usually add mylar-packed tuna or chicken for protein with my Knorr noodles, LOL. Seems like I have trouble finding dried veggies and fruits, so I'm trying to find a way to dry these and safely bring them along so that I can enjoy a balanced and nourishing diet on the trail.
    Seems like many hikers like "bars" while hiking. While I don't mind those for snacks, I am concerned about getting enough calories to sustain my effort over time and maintain a healthy body weight/ensure recovery from the work of backpacking the AT.

I would recommend Andrew Skurka's Ultate Hiker's Gear Guide. It's written with the assumption that less stuff is better than more stuff but not to the point of what he calls "stupid light" which is when you cut grams just for the sake of cutting grams rather than considering the implications. In the book he doesn't tell you what to pack per se rather he goes through a detailed analysis of the process of putting together the right kit for your own need. Every person and every hike is different so you should expect that each person's solution to the gear question will be different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++