WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Absolutely by far not the lightest, but the only one that remotely allows a full nights test for me odd the Exped REM pillow....inflatable pillow surrounded with a layer of the "chipped" foam like the thermarest compressible.....7 ounces for the LARGE....20" by 11" by 6" height.....FIRM....I am UL everything else...about 10 pound base including pack....but I just can not sleep without a THICK, SUPPORTIVE pillow....

I know it was off the topic as bit, but figured I would throw it in for others like me looking for the unicorn pillow...2 ounces and works....for need it just doesn't exist and although mentally it irks me something terrible I have become willing to begrudgingly lug around an extra 4 or 5 ounces to actually be able to sleep instead of tossing and turning all night and coming home early because I am too wiped to have any fun....

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I like the Cocoon Hyperlite - 2.4 ounces so not the lightest, but tiny and light and way more comfortable than the other options I've tried. Their heavier "ultralite" model is even more comfy but bulkier and heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    How long do the Flex Aires last?
    I've used mine of a couple of short trips (10 nights total) and it is still holding up. I bought several from a medical supply company since they were less than a dollar each.

I too have been shopping for pillows. Have been using the Flexair medical pillow with a fleece cover, but don't like the "sleeping on a balloon" feeling you get from a lot of inflatable pillows. I tried the Sea To Summit Aeros pillows at a local outfitters (just laying on the show room floor - not sleeping). They ha both the Regular and Large sizes in both the Premium and Ultralight versions. Based on my "nap" on the outfitter floor, I liked the premium. The UL version had more of the "head on balloon" feeling, but not as much as the Flexair. I could probably get by with the medium. It's only 2.8 oz, so not much of a weight penalty, but at 40$ each it has a wallet penalty.

I use a sea to summit ultralight large (2.5 oz) its nice and big, maybe a little bouncy if too full.

[QUOTE=Odd Man Out;2005370Have been using the Flexair medical pillow with a fleece cover, but don't like the "sleeping on a balloon" feeling you get from a lot of inflatable pillows.[/QUOTE]I inflate the Flexair about 1/3 and am then not bothered by that. If I have some extra clothing to stuff around it in my old Thermarest pillowcase, even just some clean socks and a tshirt, it works even better but I rarely have any extra stuff.

BTW these things cost only about 70 cents apiece (large size, roughly 19x12) but the problem is prohibitive shipping. Case size is 50 and there used to be a place that would ship a case for free but it's been so long I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    BTW these things cost only about 70 cents apiece (large size, roughly 19x12) but the problem is prohibitive shipping. Case size is 50 and there used to be a place that would ship a case for free but it's been so long I can't remember.
    I got my Flexair from Colonial Medical. They are $0.99 each for the large. Shipping is about $5 so you can get one for 6$. But you can order up to 5 for the same shipping charge so you get 5 for about $10. That's what I did. I gave a few away. I still have the one I use and one spare left.

I tried an inflatable pillow my first camp trip, and felt like I was sleeping on firm plastic. Since then I've done the lightest, easiest thing: take a pillow case. Stuff it with my extra clothes. Bam. Comfy pillow, free, no extra weight.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

If you're going true blue UL and not packing extra clothes then an inflatable pillow may be all that's left between your head and the ground. I've never tried an inflatable pillow so this might not answer the OPs original question. I haven't tried them because I have been content with my reversible stuff sack pillow with my extra set of clothes in it and whatever odd outerwear I'm not wearing to bed. It mushes around like my home pillow and I can sleep quite comfortably with it. Then again that's my head and neck and what's comfy for me. My Thermarest reversible pillow is 2 ounces out the door. But I might have to at least give the water wings a try. Should be on stupid sale right now...
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I too have been having issues of loosing my pillow when cutting out unnecessary clothing or when the temp drops and I am wearing everything that's dry. Some suggested a partially inflated gallon ziplock but couldn't get that to hold air, same deal with the veggie bags.

Might try try that hospital pillow. I have a packs cubes/fleece dry bag on the way, looking for something really light to help "fill" it when little to zero clothes are in there. Maybe I can just inflate the dry bag? Never owned one

Quote Originally Posted by raptelan View Post
    I like the Cocoon Hyperlite - 2.4 ounces so not the lightest, but tiny and light and way more comfortable than the other options I've tried. Their heavier "ultralite" model is even more comfy but bulkier and heavier.
    Bang for the buck I went with the Cocoon Ultralight AirCore Pillow; not quite as comfy as my DIY down pillow but 10oz lighter:SOLD! For just a bit over $20 I have a pillow that is 3.5oz with a soft/washable pillowcase. I could have went the lighter route and saved another 1.5 oz but it was nearly double the cost. I am very happy with this pillow and since it really is a luxury item I will suffer the oz for the comfort.

I also like the Exped Ul medium. Very comfy when slightly underinflated. The shape works fine for me and I use an elastic strap threaded thru those handy slotted tabs to keep it in place on my air mat. It definitely sucks up body oils like crazy and looks pretty funkatacious, but I don't care. It's usually just me and the dog, and he doesn't care, either.

Images

A Buff fits over the Exped pillow as a multipurpose washable pillowcase. Much nicer than plastic against the face. One oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    A Buff fits over the Exped pillow as a multipurpose washable pillowcase. Much nicer than plastic against the face. One oz.
    Good suggestion.
    I found that what bothered me with several pillows I tried was not the type/shape/hardness but the feel against my skin.
    I use a dedicated cut down silk liner but the Buff is multipurpose.
    (I like the Buff...)

Has anyone tried the Marmot Strato Air? It's listed as 1.4 oz and and seemed comfortable when I tried it at the store....

I use my clothes stuff sack and air it up with my breath or clothes if its not too cold that night. I put an article of clothing over it if i have it available, if not its on my head and face anyway so no need to wrap it with anything. The water wings idea sounds cool though if I ever switch from my normal procedure.

I got one of those inflatable neck pillows for flying/riding in the car and I really like it. I used to wake up and have to find my pillow after it had slipped off the sleeping pad. Not any more. Pringles

Buy a box of wine. Share with friends then blow up the wine bladder Super awesome lightweight pillow and you get wine!!!

I've tried a couple pillows out but I truly believe in Zpacks cuben fiber dry sack pillows. You get a waterproof quilt or sleeping bag dry sack and a pillow for under 2 ounces.

Not a thru hiker but hope to next year. I use the sea to summit aeros pillow. I realize that some of you will bock at the 2.8oz but I am a side sleeper and very cranky when I don't sleep enough so I am willing to add a couple ounces for comfort when sleeping. Nobody likes a cranky Kimbur. http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...o2=1&o3=571-30

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++