WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thank you for all your help Slo-go'en!

Finished up my hike yesterday! Started late afternoon on Friday.

Day 1 - Spiltoir Shelter - ~8 miles

Day 2 - General Washington Shelter ~25 miles

Day 3 - Sunapee Lodge finishing up ~19 miles

I had a blast! Like previously mentioned, bring a lot of Deet (pref 100). With a little bit of Deet the bugs were not too bad. There is not much room at Gen. Washington Shelter but enough for tent. I would say there were a lot of road walks. Some were enjoyable and others were just long and boring lol.

I will def be back to enjoy the Sunapee Ridge and Mt. when it is not 50* rain and howling wind with little to zero views/visibility. The first two days of perfect sunny weather made up for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by eblanche View Post
    Finished up my hike yesterday! Started late afternoon on Friday.

I will def be back to enjoy the Sunapee Ridge and Mt. when it is not 50* rain and howling wind with little to zero views/visibility. The first two days of perfect sunny weather made up for it though.
    That must have been a heck of hike out yesterday in that storm, plus you missed all the good views
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yes, I had great views out to about 30-40 feet then it looked like gray wind. I am very impressed in the amount of views this little trail provides. I'm sure Lake Solitude is gorgeous when it is nice out.

I did a blog post/journal entry about the trip if anyone wants to read/view some pics. No pictures from day three because of the weather and I didn't want to get my phone wet or run down the battery (phone died completely several minutes into the car ride back to my car). http://ericadventurehike.blogspot.co...-2015to-6.html and more pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/eric.christ...9786718&type=1

We are meeting a friend from Maine for a quick overnight in the area. We are only looking to hike about 5 miles in to our campsite. What would you suggest?

Many years ago we climbed Mt. Monodnack on a Columbus Day weekend. What a zoo! It sounds like the rest of the trail is very quiet.

Cheers,

TrailManny

Quote Originally Posted by TrailManny View Post
    We are meeting a friend from Maine for a quick overnight in the area. We are only looking to hike about 5 miles in to our campsite. What would you suggest?
    There are several possibilities, but without a trail map or guide to reference, you'd have no idea what I was talking about. The section between Sunapee and the town of Washington is the nicer section with a couple of shelters. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to go to Sunapee and hike south until you get to the first shelter, which would be Moose Lookout. That's like a 8.3 mile hike with the climb up Sunapee, but is fairly easy once you do get to the top of Sunapee and there are a bunch of good views along the way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailManny View Post

Many years ago we climbed Mt. Monodnack on a Columbus Day weekend. What a zoo! It sounds like the rest of the trail is very quiet.

Cheers,

TrailManny
    I would rec either start from Sunapee and head south or start from Monadnock and head north. First shelter from Monadnock is around 8 miles. If not either of those, my favorite part of the trail is probably the Andorra forest. If you could do a few miles over by the cascades, that would be nice. Not sure where the roads are for that. I don't have the map right in front of me.

Thanks for the advice. The trip may be postponed a week, so I have more time to plan. Does anyone have knowledge of Pillsbury State Park. I was thinking of a loop trip up Bear Pond Trail to the MSGT and camp at the Steve Galpin Shelter. We would check out the Lucias Lookout and return on the Five Summers Trail.

Are there tent sites at the shelter? Water Source?

All the best,

TrailManny

Images

Quote Originally Posted by eblanche View Post
    That's good to know. Worth it to bring bug head net?

Thanks
    I live fairly close to Monadnock at an elevation similar to a lot of the trail. Some summers the mosquitoes are horrible in the woods here. We've had a couple summers lately where the black flies lasted all summer!!! (: Bring a head net and deet. Also, as slo-go- en says, long pants treated with permethrin for ticks; Lyme disease is probably present. I carry a long sleeve shirt (and often wear it) and a headnet on my little local hikes. Sept or Oct would be great, with no bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    long pants treated with permethrin for ticks; Lyme disease is probably present
    Absolutely agree with you here. I found myself constantly checking my legs and all over. At one time I looked down and saw one tick on each of my legs right above the knee in the exact position. I got both in time before they bit though.

I USED 100% DEET and did not think the bugs were too bad. While stationary they were annoying but the deet took care of most of them. YMMV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++