Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by kameyosekmoon View Post

I have a neurological implant that requires recharging.** Not a pace maker** I will be the first thru-hiker with this type of implant so the batteries have not been tested for extreme barometric/altitude changes that may effect the charge life of my implant.
    If the battery is affected by barometric changes they made a really, really poor choice of batteries, which is highly unlikely. That is something not to worry about. Since your implant can be recharged (wireless?) It's quite possible to have a portable charger similar to what are commonly used for phones and tablets.

You may very well need the PLB for other reasons, but I'd wager you'd not need it due to having the implant fail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GAME 06

I have an implant, my implant device is not a pace maker. I mention this first because it isn't and secondly most people associate implants with pace makers. I don't own a cell phone in my life outside of the trail so brining one along seems a bit silly. Most if not all of the PLB sites makes note of the device being used in extreme emergencies, and I'm aware of this fact. However, these sites are designed to persuade a purchase. I wanted some real life experiences/advice from other hikers.

I have a neurological implant that requires recharging.** Not a pace maker** I will be the first thru-hiker with this type of implant so the batteries have not been tested for extreme barometric/altitude changes that may effect the charge life of my implant.

The PLB would only be used if my battery is near the end of its charge life (or dead) and I won't be able to make it to my next charge point.

There is roughly a 48 hour grace period before a depleted battery causes problems (surgery would be needed to replace the batteries), ** not a pace maker** even so it wouldn't be a matter of life and death...more like extreme pain and discomfort until help arrives. Which I imagine would be the case for anyone in an emergency situation.

Thanks for the input/feedback/suggestions.
    Gotcha.

It sounds like what you need to look into is a carry along charging device. For the phones and tablets folks are carrying on the trail one can purchase spare battery packs designed to be used in the field to provide a charge when the device runs low on power. I use a MyCharge 6000 mAh unit (provides approximately 1 charge of my tablet). Some carry 12,000 mAh units. They are relatively light and in your case weight might not be a considering factor.

You would need to find out the charging specs of your implant and see if there was a similar spare charging battery on the market which would work for you. FYI it is not just the voltage and Ah capacity that is important but also the current rating of the battery output. All this should be something that can be determined by looking at the specs of your implant and your charging system. The manufacturer should also be able to help and advise you. Sounds doable. Good luck.

GAME 06

One more item. The connector issue. All the spare batteries use micro USB and USB connectors. If your implant uses a non hardwired charging technique this may be a more difficult problem.

Images

The charging station is specific the implant so there are no substitutions./alternatives. I have a portable charger, but it weighs 7lbs, which I'm finding to be too heavy on practice hikes (on the AT). I'm now working with the device manufacturer with the hopes of finding a good solution. Thank you all for the encouragement, feedback and informative links. You have all been a great help. Godspeed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You may very well need the PLB for other reasons, but I'd wager you'd not need it due to having the implant fail.
    Like most batteries that deplete when exposed to extreme weather my implant batteries are no different, so regarding barometric/altitude mostly it has to do with the varying tempature changes that occur as a result. But I agree with you about needing to use the PLB. Thanks for the feedback.

I am wondering if anyone has used one of these on the AT and,if so,how well did it work?Also,can't you turn it off for periods of time and use it sporadically for texting home etc. in order to preserve battery life?Lastly,how difficult is it to set up and use?DeLorme Inreach is the model I am curious about.Thanks.

Images

I really question the wisdom of relying on a PLB to backup what sounds like an untested technology for the trail. even with a PLB it can often take a while to get help on scene. IMHO a PLB should be used for unplanned emergencies, your situation sounds too much like a reliance on technology. maybe wait a year or two for further testing on the robustness of your technology.

I have used the SPOT device on sections of both the PCT and AT. One question people should ask themselves is why they are carrying this technology. Is it truly for use as a PLB in case of a serious emergency? Or is it more for keeping in contact with family and friends? In my opinion, a true PLB is the better solution if someone is carrying a device only for emergency. A device like the ACR ResQLink has no annual fee and emits a more powerful signal. All you pay is the upfront cost. If the device is more for keeping friends and family informed, then determine whether one way messages are sufficient, or if two way communication is desired. The SPOT only emits a one way message. Furthermore, it does not really confirm receipt of the message. The InReach offers two way messaging and does confirm receipt of the message.

My own choice is the SPOT. I don't need two way messaging and I carry it only to keep friends and family informed. I have had great success with messages being received as long as I allow the SPOT to go through its 20 minute cycle in which it emits a message three times once satellites are found as a measure of redundancy. Almost all of the negative reviews of the SPOT that I have read are due to people shutting it off as soon as the "Message Sent" light comes on. This is partly user error due to failure to follow instructions but also partly the fault of SPOT for having a rather confusing user interface.

BTW, I would hesitate to spend large amounts of money on something like the InReach. I believe that five years from now this technology will be totally obsolete. LIke it or not, we are likely to be reachable anywhere in the wilderness in the future and the technology will get cheaper and cheaper. A SPOT right now is a good solution for me as I await better technology in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    BTW, I would hesitate to spend large amounts of money on something like the InReach. I believe that five years from now this technology will be totally obsolete. LIke it or not, we are likely to be reachable anywhere in the wilderness in the future and the technology will get cheaper and cheaper. A SPOT right now is a good solution for me as I await better technology in the future.
    Pretty much agree with this. As a follow on thought, the OP described the issue, "the batteries have not been tested for extreme barometric/altitude changes that may effect the charge life of my implant."

My question is, this description seems more appropriate for flying in aircraft that would cause "extreme" pressure changes, would hiking be considered something that would cause "extreme" pressure changes? It would seem to me gradual elevation gain/loss would not be much different than being at sea level when storms came in that lowered pressure, or raised it. Its a small point, but an interesting one.

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Pretty much agree with this. As a follow on thought, the OP described the issue, "the batteries have not been tested for extreme barometric/altitude changes that may effect the charge life of my implant."

My question is, this description seems more appropriate for flying in aircraft that would cause "extreme" pressure changes, would hiking be considered something that would cause "extreme" pressure changes? It would seem to me gradual elevation gain/loss would not be much different than being at sea level when storms came in that lowered pressure, or raised it. Its a small point, but an interesting one.
    Yeah. As a retired engineer I would be pretty confident that the 'lack' of testing for extreme changes does not apply for our OP. Since this device has been certified for human use one can be pretty certain that the OP can get on airplanes and such so the pressures and altitudes of PCT hiking would be well within typical human safety tolerances. The Himalaya's..might want to check to make sure.

The big kicker with batteries being degraded from being able to provide full output is almost always temperature. Since the battery for this device is (by what I am interpreting from the OP) within the body cavity it is going to be maintained at perfect temperature (i.e. hypothermia would kill you long before the bodies core temp got low enough to effect the capacity delivery of the battery).

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Yeah. As a retired engineer I would be pretty confident that the 'lack' of testing for extreme changes does not apply for our OP. Since this device has been certified for human use one can be pretty certain that the OP can get on airplanes and such so the pressures and altitudes of PCT hiking would be well within typical human safety tolerances. The Himalaya's..might want to check to make sure.

The big kicker with batteries being degraded from being able to provide full output is almost always temperature. Since the battery for this device is (by what I am interpreting from the OP) within the body cavity it is going to be maintained at perfect temperature (i.e. hypothermia would kill you long before the bodies core temp got low enough to effect the capacity delivery of the battery).
    That makes sense.

Images

(i.e. hypothermia would kill you long before the bodies core temp got low enough to affect the capacity delivery of the battery). <-- I'm sure this was not intended as such but I found this amusing, thanks (smile). I really appreciate your opinion.
    But what you are saying makes total sense, thanks for that information. I'm getting the same message from my doctors. The manufacturer is working on my recharge concerns. I'm confident that all will be well.

Images

<-- I'm sure this was not intended as such but I found this amusing, thanks (smile). I really appreciate your opinion. (still new to posting;

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I really question the wisdom of relying on a PLB to backup what sounds like an untested technology for the trail. even with a PLB it can often take a while to get help on scene. IMHO a PLB should be used for unplanned emergencies, your situation sounds too much like a reliance on technology. maybe wait a year or two for further testing on the robustness of your technology.
    Unless you live your life completely off the grid (chances are pretty high that you don't) you rely on technology. Making technology more effective requires testing, which is my goal with the hike. In terms of this hike if truly relying on technology my question would have been more along the lines of which cell works best for posting pictures to social media. In every survival course, I've taken we've been taught to prepare for emergencies...my intentions with my original questions. I appreciate your opinion and I appreciate you sharing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has used one of these on the AT and,if so,how well did it work?Also,can't you turn it off for periods of time and use it sporadically for texting home etc. in order to preserve battery life?Lastly,how difficult is it to set up and use?DeLorme Inreach is the model I am curious about.Thanks.
    A representative from DeLorme just gave me a 25% off code for a new unit if you decide to purchase one and can't find a code that's greater than 25% send me a message and I'll inbox you the code.

A representative from DeLorme just gave me a 25% off code for a new unit if you decide to purchase one and can't find a code that's greater than 25% send me a message and I'll inbox you the code.
    Thanks for the offer.I am still thinking about it.Good luck to you with your battery issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I bought this one for the CDT. My wife's happy and I don't have to send "I'm ok" messages.

https://www.acrartex.com/products/ca.../resqlink-plb/
    +1
    I like that there are no ongoing fees other than replacement of unit or battery every 5 years. YMMV.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    +1
    I like that there are no ongoing fees YMMV.
    I love no ongoing fees and this is the PLB that I've selected, thanks for sharing the info (smile). Godspeed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++