Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Personal Locator Beacon

Due to a medical condition I need to use a personal locator beacon on my thru-hike (2016), what are your thoughts on this? Also recommendations?

Journal Entries

My thoughts are that if you NEED a beacon, there is a problem that should be addressed a different way.

A plb is a last resort, and rescue may take 24 hrs , NOT something you should plan to depend on.

I have a rescueme 4.2 oz, 7yr battery. Ive never even tested it. I only take it on less travelled areas where i may not see others for days.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-19-2015 at 19:12.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    My thoughts are that if you NEED a beacon, there is a problem that should be addressed a different way.

A plb is a last resort, and rescue may take 24 hrs , NOT something you should plan to depend on.

I have a rescueme 4.2 oz, 7yr battery. Ive never even tested it. I only take it on less travelled areas where i may not see others for days.
    Thoughts on SPOT locator for JMT? Mainly just to check in at camp...if not do you recall cell service between reds and whitney? If no signal my wife will prob force me to take it...I never carry it unless my 8 yr old is out with me...it's a no go for him without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAME 06

My initial reaction was just what Muddy said, but then I thought that you must have already taken some of that advice into account??

If your condition is such that it can be fatal in less than 24 hours a thru might be pushing it a bit. The folks who respond to the SPOT devices and the like take some time to get there and depending on where you are, the time of day, the weather and such Muddy's 24 hours is not out of line. But then again sometimes they are there in a few hours. But they are also putting their lives on the line coming to get you many times (and you also bear responsibility for that along with them for choosing to be in SAR). Choose wisely as they say.

But then again, maybe we are assuming from your post the worst interpretation and we are a little off base. Perhaps you could elaborate...or not.

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Thoughts on SPOT locator for JMT? Mainly just to check in at camp...if not do you recall cell service between reds and whitney? If no signal my wife will prob force me to take it...I never carry it unless my 8 yr old is out with me...it's a no go for him without it.

"
    I carry a SPOT Gen3 and it, of course, also has other features besides the "SOS come save me with your helicopter" mode.

It has the next level down signal which means "I need help, but I am not going to die".

It has one more level down which sends an "I'm OK" signal.

It has tracking mode which will send a gps coord periodically (2 1/2, 5, 10, 30 or 60 mins). I run this all the time so that I have a track map of where I have gone and the wife can look me up at any time.

So you can customize what satisfy's your wife and have some fun too. And you do have it for serious emergencies as long as what is wrong will not kill you in an hour or two.

Look into the DeLorme Inreach. Pricey but worth every penny.

You can turn plans on and off, it has full GPS capability, works BT with a smartphone, the Earthmate software is friendly across platforms, and the confirmations if you actually have to use it to request rescue are worth the price all by themselves. No wondering if your signal got out or if/when someone will come because you get actual answers back.

Between now and the end of the month there's still a $75 rebate on it, too.

Already have spot...was free less that $100 per year service...go figure my service ends a few weeks before my JMT hike...It hasn't been used since August...

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I bought this one for the CDT. My wife's happy and I don't have to send "I'm ok" messages.

https://www.acrartex.com/products/ca.../resqlink-plb/

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post

Dependable cell service on jmt is well documented.

Tuolumne meadows
    Donahue pass (line of sight to mammoth)
    Reds meadow
    @ lake at edison lake (vvr) if have ATT
    Mt whitney with verizon
    Maybe some other passes have weak signals at times , mostly verizon. Dont count on it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-19-2015 at 19:51.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Dependable cell service on jmt is well documented.

Tuolumne meadows
    Donahue pass (line of sight to mammoth)
    Reds meadow
    @ lake at edison lake (vvr) if have ATT
    Mt whitney with verizon
    Maybe some other passes have weak signals at times , mostly verizon. Dont count on it.
    Thx...kind of what I thought...not much as not stopping at vvr

Quote Originally Posted by kameyosekmoon View Post
    Due to a medical condition I need to use a personal locator beacon on my thru-hike (2016), what are your thoughts on this? Also recommendations?
    I used to carry a persona locator beacon, until I had an incident where I almost fell off a cliff. I realized that unless I was conscious the PLB would not be activated. In that particular location, my body might not have been found. I decided that when I hike alone, I want something with a tracking feature. I opted for the SPOT. I used the SPOT for several years.

Then I had the only circumstance when I ever needed the SOS feature. A member of my group collapsed on the trail and was unconscious. I activated the SOS. Help never came. Fortunately, I was able to get the man hydrated and he was able to walk out. When I checked, I learned that the SOS signal never got out. I was down in a canyon where any of the devices might have been blocked, but because of that experience, I decided that I need to carry a device that will receive a confirmation. As far as I know, the Delorme InReach is he only device (other than a sat phone) that will receive a message confirming that help is on its way.

I have been using my InReach for several years. It is expensive, but in my opinion worth the expense and the extra weight. When I hike alone, most of the time, I activate the tracking feature. One of the preprogramed messages on my InReach posts a "I am here" message to my FaceBook Page. Then, when I get back home, I post a picture that I took at that location. My FaceBook friends say that the enjoy following my adventures.
    Shutterbug

I've used the SPOT Gen 1 & later Gen 2 for many years. I've even had to use the SOS button & it worked as designed. But, I never knew if the signal went out. Recently, I've gone to the DeLorme InReach SE. You know that a signal has gone out. You have the ability to 2-way communicate via texts. Seems to be a superior system but I'm still learning all the nuances that it has.

In the backcountry, the SOS response will take a while. Hours. Often many, many hours. If it happens near dusk or afterwards, it may not come until the following day when daylight resumes.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    ... In the backcountry, the SOS response will take a while. Hours. Often many, many hours. If it happens near dusk or afterwards, it may not come until the following day when daylight resumes.
    That is true, but with the Delorme InReach one can inform the responders of the nature of the help needed. Being able to send a message is far superior to just being able to send out and SOS.
    Shutterbug

Journal Entries

There are other satellite messengers, have been for long time.
    The inreach is just the first cheap one. Others are much more expensive.

As a inreach owner, I say get it. Its actually really inexpensive if you use the freedom plans.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    But then again, maybe we are assuming from your post the worst interpretation and we are a little off base. Perhaps you could elaborate...or not.
    I have an implant, my implant device is not a pace maker. I mention this first because it isn't and secondly most people associate implants with pace makers. I don't own a cell phone in my life outside of the trail so brining one along seems a bit silly. Most if not all of the PLB sites makes note of the device being used in extreme emergencies, and I'm aware of this fact. However, these sites are designed to persuade a purchase. I wanted some real life experiences/advice from other hikers.

I have a neurological implant that requires recharging.** Not a pace maker** I will be the first thru-hiker with this type of implant so the batteries have not been tested for extreme barometric/altitude changes that may effect the charge life of my implant.

The PLB would only be used if my battery is near the end of its charge life (or dead) and I won't be able to make it to my next charge point.

There is roughly a 48 hour grace period before a depleted battery causes problems (surgery would be needed to replace the batteries), ** not a pace maker** even so it wouldn't be a matter of life and death...more like extreme pain and discomfort until help arrives. Which I imagine would be the case for anyone in an emergency situation.

Thanks for the input/feedback/suggestions.

Journal Entries

How often do you have to recharge?
    Are there extra batteries you can carry and recharge from?
    Are you pushing the limits of charge time ever?

(Rhetorical questions, i personally arent asking)

My only comment, is the right approach is to take every precaution, multiple layers of protection, etc, to insure the plb is never ever used for a situation you are capable of planning for.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-20-2015 at 18:20.

Anyone know if u can rent inreach? Especially in mammoth lakes area?

Journal Entries

Yes, you can rent. But you will spend about half of what it costs to buy.
    Just google it, there are 2-3 places online.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

There are a gazillion reviews/articles comparing the pros and cons of the SPOT, InReach, and "real" PLB's.

They pretty much all conclude that if you want the best chance of being rescued use a PLB.

PLBs use the international COSPAS-SARSAT satellite network and distress signals are sent directly to Langley AFB.

Since you register your PLB with the FCC they have all your information, including emergency contacts. There are no monthly fees to own a PLB. As far as trying to find me if I'm unconscious? Well... I might get run over crossing the street tomorrow - you can't cover every contingency.

Another thing about a PLB is that the battery is good for years and you don't have to worry about keeping fresh AAA lithiums with you all the time to replace the ones in your SPOT/InReach.

From http://www.backcountrychronicles.com...gps-messenger/ :

Remember, the main purpose for having any of these devices should be for the ability to send an SOS from almost anywhere that does not have cell service and with nearly 100% chance of the signal being received by the satellites so rescuers know where to find you.

PLBs are the only devices that reliably do that and except for very special situation, like being stuck in a north-south slot canyon (read more about PLB testing), the satellites will usually be able to receive the SOS with GPS coordinates in just a few minutes. PLBs send very powerful 5 watt signals that have a better chance than weaker signals from Delorme or Spot satellite messengers to contact satellites when near cliff faces or under tree canopies.

If you already have a PLB and if you also have few extra bucks burning a hole in your pocket so you can send messages and let your friends or family track your movements, then I recommend that you spend a little more money and buy a Delorme InReach SE, so you will at least have two-way texting and in case of emergency, can text back and forth with rescuers.

Just make sure you have a registered PLB and carry it with you anytime you are off the grid. This is for your safety, the safety of anyone in your group and the safety of anyone you pass along the trail.
    Last edited by 10-K; 06-20-2015 at 21:57.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++