WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Poles on planes

Since the '70's I.ve been using a golf bag transporter. I use to travel alot on business and always brought my clubs, and figured why not use it for packs ,poles, take-down fishing stuff, and whatever. Just watch the total weight.
    If you think you can, or you think you can't, your probably right.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Another option I didn't see mentioned that I used was to place them in a thick cardboard tube (such as from a UPS store). Then you can bungee the tube to your pack, or you might be able to just carry them on and check them on the way on...I can't remember exactly what I did there. The tube worked well though.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    ...The TSA can legally do what they want within their guidelines of threats, concerns, and potential hazards, they alone make the interpretation at the security station. That interpretation can change daily as well. Then there are the airlines which can deny them aboard if they are longer than 22" or 24" (depending on the carrier). When I want to take the pack and poles, I ship them to the hotel I will be going to on arrival. Its a small price for the insurance it will be there when I get there and avoids any possible problems with TSA or the airlines if the collapsed poles are longer than their max allowable length.
    +1 on this. Just because you interpret the rules one way, the people at the gate can interpret them differently and you have no recourse. The same is true with carry-on sizes. Just because you have never had a problem it doesn't mean you won't. Also not mentioned is that in addition to a size limitation for carry on luggage, many airlines have a weight limit with 22 lbs being common. If you've packed your food in your pack for a trip, it is possible you violate the weight limit too. My wife has had her carry on (which was NOT over sized) rejected twice for going over the weight limit. We got around it by transferring stuff to my bag and her purse (personal item) and we got on thanks to sympathetic airline employees (an these are airline, not TSA rules). Feel free to break the rules, but please don't whine when you get caught or if I pull your over sized bag out of the over head bin so mine will fit (which I have done when there was some yahoo with a bag the size of Texas filling the whole bin - when mine wouldn't fit, I made sure his was gate checked and not mine).

2005 Camino de santiago

Wondering if there might be a modicum of truth to what the naysayers on this thread,"poles on planes", were saying, I sent an email to TSA and asked for a ruling as to whether it was legal to take the hiking poles on-board as part of the carry-on luggage. I was able to chat with a young lady who called me by telephone, one who was tasked to answer queries of this nature, and she reiterated that it indeed was appropriate & legal to carry metal hiking sticks as walking aids upon planes, so long as there were no sharp points on them, allowing them to be used as weapons. The poles, she said, would have to placed upon the conveyor belt to be scanned just like all other carry-on items. Also, she did admit that the inspectors did have some latitude in making the determination of what was and what was not allowed when they did their inspections at the gate security. When I told the lady that these were hiking aids, which I would need for my upcoming hike, she hesitated and then suggested that were it ever to happen, for me to politely ask to see a supervisor.

However, she knew what hiking poles were and said that, while it could happen, the possibility of any agent refusing them would be quite rare. Calling in a supervisor should solve the issue.

I have carried my poles as checked luggage for a number of years now with nary a problem. So, if I do experience a problem, I'll just ask to see a supervisor. Going on a long hike I cannot afford to check either pack or poles and run the risk of the airline losing them. None of us can and taking them with us as carry-on luggage is the simplest solution. For what its worth, I thought I'd pass along the information.

2005 Camino de santiago

Wondering if there might be a modicum of truth to what the naysayers on this thread,"poles on planes", were saying, I sent an email to TSA and asked for a ruling as to whether it was legal to take the hiking poles on-board as part of the carry-on luggage. I was able to chat with a young lady who called me by telephone, one who was tasked to answer queries of this nature, and she reiterated that it indeed was appropriate & legal to carry metal hiking sticks as walking aids upon planes, so long as there were no sharp points on them, allowing them to be used as weapons. The poles, she said, would have to placed upon the conveyor belt to be scanned just like all other carry-on items. Also, she did admit that the inspectors did have some latitude in making the determination of what was and what was not allowed when they did their inspections at the gate security. When I told the lady that these were hiking aids, which I would need for my upcoming hike, she hesitated and then suggested that were it ever to happen, for me to politely ask to see a supervisor.

However, she knew what hiking poles were and said that, while it could happen, the possibility of any agent refusing them would be quite rare. Calling in a supervisor should solve the issue.

I have carried my poles as checked luggage for a number of years now with nary a problem. So, if I do experience a problem, I'll just ask to see a supervisor. Going on a long hike I cannot afford to check either pack or poles and run the risk of the airline losing them. None of us can and taking them with us as carry-on luggage is the simplest solution. For what its worth, I thought I'd pass along the information.

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post

I wonder if the std small bd carbide tip would be considered a weapon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I wonder if the std small bd carbide tip would be considered a weapon?
    The short answer is yes, it can be interpreted that way.

That's the problem....

2005 Camino de santiago

Saltysack:
    "I wonder if the std small bd carbide tip would be considered a weapon?"
    I did bring that up when I spoke with the TSA lady. She knew about the poles as well as the basically flat carbide tips and expressed that she did not see where it would be a problem. Now, she did mention that the long sharp spikes on ski poles would absolutely not be allowed on-board as carry-on.

Where the poles are always inspected is when they are on the conveyor belt and examined with the visual X-ray machine, along with everything else metal we all must place there to make it through the metal detector without pinging it. No inspector has ever picked the poles up to give them a second glance. However, a few times I have had them stop my backpack and rummage through it looking for something they felt unusual looking.

That's the problem....can

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    Saltysack:
    "I wonder if the std small bd carbide tip would be considered a weapon?"
    I did bring that up when I spoke with the TSA lady. She knew about the poles as well as the basically flat carbide tips and expressed that she did not see where it would be a problem. Now, she did mention that the long sharp spikes on ski poles would absolutely not be allowed on-board as carry-on.

Where the poles are always inspected is when they are on the conveyor belt and examined with the visual X-ray machine, along with everything else metal we all must place there to make it through the metal detector without pinging it. No inspector has ever picked the poles up to give them a second glance. However, a few times I have had them stop my backpack and rummage through it looking for something they felt unusual looking.
    How about a canister stove....no canister

My buddies and I have had a mixture of success with carryingon. While sometimes it works you should, its alot less headache to check imo. paying extra for direct flights can help you avoid your bag ending up in the wrong city (real crumby start to a long thru hike). Of the carry on methods, already described I like checking your bag and placing it in a large laundry bag to protect straps etc. Its cheap, and allows TSA to enter the bag without cutting the plastic off. Make sure you buckle and tighten all the straps as well. I lost a chest strap to a conveyor belt.

If a TSA boy scout gave me trouble about 4 inch blunt tent stakes I'd really raise hell. I could see an idiot potentially saying something about them though.

While mailing is considered safer and you can insure the package, my buddy who mailed his trekking poles and pocket knife, somehow lost the pocket knife from the shipping tube. The package was stapled back closed. So mailing isn't 100% either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++