WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Don't feel bad.. I've never been able to make a polycro groundsheet last more than a week.

Same with Dri-Ducks. I've got at least 3 pair that either ripped or suffered zipper failure within a few days. Other hikers report using the same pair since Jimmy Carter was president.
    I'm with you, the very first time I wore the cheap Frog Togg rainsuit (I think it was $20 at Walmart), the crotch tore out the first time I squatted. I do however, still use and love the jacket.

Our worry is we haven't been able to find the holes in the floor of our tent, so we haven't made repairs yet!

I have found that the Dri Ducks pants are a lot more durable than the jacket. Although I got lots of rips on the pants on the Colorado Trail, it lasted the entire trip with some duct tape. I didn't use the jacket on that trip. On my PCT section, I ended up using both the jacket and the pants. The pants were fine but the jacket zipper broke the second time I used it and I had to do a hackish field repair to make it usable. I never plan to have Dri Ducks last more than a trip. I threw away the suit before flying home. If for no other reason than it stank from sweat and I don't believe it can be machine washed. But at <$20/pair it is a good way to punt on rain gear. I'll eventually own the zPacks rain suit, I'm sure of that. As for ground sheets I really like the ground sheet for my hexamid. It goes on top of the mesh and is removable. I've never felt a need for a second ground sheet. And since it is removable I can use it for cowboy camping or sleeping in shelters or at trail angels like I did at Ziggy & the bear when I didn't want to sleep directly on the outdoor carpet.

My experience on putting anying under a tent floor is that in a heavy rain is if any of it sticks out beyond the footprint of your tent it will guarantee that your tent will end up sitting in a puddle. Maybe this wouldn't be the case if the footprint was made for the specific tent your using but I can't speak to that as I've never used one as such.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I like using a ground cloth for keeping my tent clean and to help protect the bottom of the tent from puncture due to rocks or sharp seeds I've encountered. My main camping place is the GSMNP. Post tent sites are a patch of dirt, and every morning I have moisture under the ground cloth when the leaves all around the tent are dry. With the ground cloth, I can pack my clean tent and the ether hang the ground cloth and try to clean and dry it, or I can fold the wet-dirty side in on itself if I'm in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I am making last minute preparations for my SOBO hike starting in July.

I am using a Big Agnes Fly Creek tent. Is purchasing the additional footprint for $70 worth it? It weighs 5oz, alternatively I was hoping to just buy a knock of tyvek type material from a hardware store and cut it slightly smaller than my tent. I was wondering if this would work just as well to preserve the bottom of the tent and help with protection from water or if the specialized footprint is really worth the money.

Thanks!
    Not at all worth it IMO. I used a piece of tyvek when I bought my tent, because I thought it would keep it clean. But this is what happens, you now have something else to clean and pack up and when it rains the tent still gets muddy, both on the side from splattering effect and if it rains hard enough it (muddy rain water) will eventually get between the tent and the ground cloth. BTW, I know the argument that a footprint designed for a specific tent won't allow water in between, but that's impossible because it's not vacuum sealed or anything.

Besides it getting dirty on the underside is not an issue, because it's going to get dirty topside anyways, both from various droppings, such as bird crap and also things that drop from the trees -- ain't no foot print going to protect from that. Bottomline, your tent will get dirty, that's just part of camping out in the woods. Nothing to worry about.

You could argue that my tent does have a few pin-sized holes in the bottom, but it's 10 years old and that's to be expected. I just use a little tent repair tape on it and it's good to go. BTW, that repair tape is strong stuff and I even used it to repair a pinhole leak in my water bladder and eight years later it's still working.

Like I said, I do have some pinholes under my tent, but not bad, because the 'bathtub' area of tents are built up more than the other parts of the tent and easy to manage if you do get a little hole. Patching pinhole-size holes in not worth spending $70 bucks, nor is it worth the hassle of packing up a cheap dirty, wet ground cloth.

P.S. I probably have pinholes, not only because my tent is 10 years old, but also because I have a cheap tent ($100 kelty teton 2), I bet more expensive tents last much longer before getting holes in the bathtub.

No foot print, except the built in bathtub

No.....just no.
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

I carry the footprint. It does help protect and keep try the bottom of the tent. But it also serves as a ground cloth below my air mattress if I stay in a shelter (keeping the splinters and mouse poop off me). I keep it on top of my pack so that it can also serve as a quick shelter during a short storm. Or, if I cowboy camp without a tent...

I sprung for the footprint for my BA Flycreek UL2 mainly because I can set up in fast fly mode when its raining and set the tent up after the fly. This keeps the tent alot drier.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Images

I bought a tyvek ground sheet... I was thinking about putting grommets in each of the four corners so the sheet could be strung up in an emergency. Is there any reason why I would not want to do this?

Journal Entries

Never used a footprint on any tent. Only ever had one small puncture and on my most expensive tent made of cuban fiber, fortunately it was permanently field repairable with a small piece of CF tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    no. i've tented hundreds on nights on the AT. never used a footprint, ground cloth, etc.
    Have to agree with LW. Every time I see this discussion I ask myself what I am missing. Take a few seconds. Brush away the pointy stuff. As with all gear, either carry bombproof heavy or lightweight that you have to be careful with. I vote less weight and a bit more care.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Jake: I would buy the footprint, use that as a template for your Tyvek groundsheet, then add the grommets. After which, return the footprint.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Jake: I would buy the footprint, use that as a template for your Tyvek groundsheet, then add the grommets. After which, return the footprint.

actually, I bought the tyvec ground sheet when I bought my tarp tent.... It was like 10 bucks or so? So I already have it. I am going to doing the grommets and see what help that is.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post

Our worry is we haven't been able to find the holes in the floor of our tent, so we haven't made repairs yet!
    Namtrag, I just saw this comment. There's an easy solution (even easier with two people):

Setup the tent up at night inside a room in your house and turn it on it's side, if it's freestanding, just hold it up on it's side. Then turn the lights off and aim a flashlight at the floor material from one side and then look for where the light can be seen on the other side, mark the spots where the light shines through and then you've located the pinholes. (This works great for finding holes in flyfishing waders as well)
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

hey Elf, that's so awesome! We have to clean our tent up from a section hike, and we will try your technique.

Journal Entries

Groundcloths arent needed to protect tent floors.
    They can reduce internal condensation, by reducing moisture vapor diffusion thru the tent floor

My maps, ziplocks, raingear, etc go under xlite to guard against punctures.

Images

Not needed, wasted weight.

Depending on the tenting site, I try to scrape up leaves (pull all sticks out afterwards which also serves as a nice end-of-the-day stretch.........or pine needles, in the cold weather 6+ inches thick.

Works great. In the morning return the area to the way it was as if I was never there.

I used one of those relective emergency "blankets" as a ground cloth. Or you could use a disposable plastic poncho. Both are lighter and cheaper than the footprint. My emergency blanket was durable and lasted for my 1500mile hike and a year afterwards.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Tyvek can be found by the foot on ebay. It's probably cheaper than the hardware store as you get only what you need.

I got lucky and got mine at a REI garage sale for $20. I plan on taking mine with me in case I want to ditch the tent later on and just do a tarp tent with my rainfly and foot print. If you think you might want to ditch the tent on hot nights, then it may be worth your while.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++