WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

. And to help make all of this possible, the GSMNP gets a bunch of donations and volunteer labor.

yup.......

because congress keeps cutting the money going to the NPS and it's parks..............

Images

The area will probably remain closed until the park feels confident that they have killed the correct bear.

im hearing that it may be open back up next week...........

you guys are missing the meat of the story here... I mean the guy's name is Cassius Cash

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    If every bear that bothered a human got a blast of bear mace in the face for his trouble, there would be a lot fewer dead bears and stolen food bags. And if we all carried a 3.5oz black-bear dose of pepper spray every time we ventured into bear country maybe we could avoid having the government someday force us all to drag around a 3.5 pound bear canister.
    Look at you...Using common sense and putting safety first.
    You know that type of thinking is tolerated on the AT.
    You need to carry a spork only for your protection....

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Not an issue in Maine. Only an issue where hunting is not allowed. Our bear population is doing quite well. Dumb and/or aggressive bears don't do so well up here. Enjoy your reactive policies. I think proactive is more effective. But to each their own.
    So which National parks in Maine allow the seasonal regulated harvesting of bear, and can we harrest all adult bears or just the dumb and aggressive ones? Can non-residents also hunt bear in Maine's National parks?

Quote Originally Posted by August W. View Post
    So which National parks in Maine allow the seasonal regulated harvesting of bear, and can we harrest all adult bears or just the dumb and aggressive ones? Can non-residents also hunt bear in Maine's National parks?
    Your ignorance is beyond education. Not going to waste my time.

Okay... wasting some time. The only place special precautions are necessary is in Baxter State Park. Guess what. That also happens to be the only area with restrictions on bear hunting. Let's review. Where bear hunting is not restricted in Maine, dumb and/or aggressive bears don't exist. Where bear hunting is restricted, special precautions are required. Let's see if you are able to make the connection. I am not going to explain further. It is obviously beyond you.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 06-28-2015 at 10:09. Reason: Wasting time on the obvious
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Your ignorance is beyond education. Not going to waste my time.

Okay... wasting some time. The only place special precautions are necessary is in Baxter State Park. Guess what. That also happens to be the only area with restrictions on bear hunting. Let's review. Where bear hunting is not restricted in Maine, dumb and/or aggressive bears don't exist. Where bear hunting is restricted, special precautions are required. Let's see if you are able to make the connection. I am not going to explain further. It is obviously beyond you.
    Wow.... good job, you sure told me! As a hiker and a hunter I thank you for the cute emotional response.

You stated that "a seasonal regulated harvest would eliminate the issue" as if we don't hunt bear down here in NC/TN or as if we should hunt bear inside GSMNP; AND while pretending to know what "reactive policies" I support or "enjoy"...... and, as you say, I am the ignorant one here. Hilarious!!

Thanks for the laugh. Happy trails birdbrain.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    Plus if the perpetrator bear saw his brother or cousin get shot, he won't be back to that campsite and may regain his fear of humans. Mission accomplished.

On a somewhat related issue, we have a real problem starting in Florida with bears from the Ocala National Forest coming into neighborhoods, making nightime garbage can raids, and taking a dip in the backyard pool. They bust through screened porch enclosures because they smell human cooked food residue on the grill (same as garbage and easy-to-get food to them). There is currently no bear hunting allowed in this part of Florida, but that may soon change (it reminds me of the NJ problem).

So presumebly our backcountry fees we pay in the GSMNP will help go toward better education and enforcement of food handling and storage in the backcountry...... or will that just be another reason to increase the fees.
    It's been a while, since the nineties, but there will once again be a "Bear Hunting Season" in Florida this year.
    This October,the kill will last from 2 to 7 days, depending on how many are slaughtered.....So for those of you that hike, particularly in the Ocala Forest but also three other regions, don't forget to have some bright orange gear on yourself or as a pack over and remember to duck and whistle and holler out if a cartridge or ten come whistling past your ear!
    Smoky the Bear, Watch Out! All that Dumpster diving may just get you shot!

Journal Entries

Personally, I would stay the heck out of Ocala Forest in October!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    All that Dumpster diving may just get you shot!
    That's why the park service uses bear-proof trash cans, and has worked with cities neighboring the park to protect bears from their garbage.
    IF all park visitors followed the regulations regarding keeping food away from bears, we wouldn't have so many bear closures in GSMNP like we have at the moment (only half of which are related to the attack).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    Personally, I would stay the heck out of Ocala Forest in October!
    I highly agree. Years ago, the State Wildlife Commission (FWC) used to close the hiking trails (i.e. FTA blazed hiking trails) to the public during General Gun season in designated wildlife areas.. They have since changed their thinking and now they are open with the recommendation that bright orange shirts or vests be worn. Still, for the first week or so, I avoid these areas. I'm not sure if the State has anything to say about the Ocala NF other than the FWC approved the bear hunt. You won't find me there during the peak of hunting season

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++