WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Trash compactor bags?

I've noticed many hikers use a 20 gallon TRash compactor bag to line their packs to help keep things dry. I was wondering where you can get these things. I cant' find them in any store I've been in.

Journal Entries

Usually a Publix or Kroger but I noticed a good deal at Home Depot: 30 18 gal bags for $9.97 (just 1 bag lasts me a long time).
    Last edited by ChrisJackson; 06-25-2015 at 10:42.

The only place that I could find unscented ones was at Ace Hardware.

Cool

Super markets. I saw them at Walmart. A GOOGLE search turns up dozens of retailers.

Here is what you are looking for.

http://mybrands.com/Brands/Hefty/Hef...18-gallon-5-ct

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Be sure to get unscented bags. They are sometimes hard to find.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've got a big box of them - PM me your address and I'll mail you one.

I still have the one I used to thru hike the PCT with - I think it would last the CDT too.

Any Kroger store has them. They are scented though. I take one out and leave it outside for a few days to get the smell out. It's awful.

But they are tough and last multiple trips. Better option than a pack cover or dry bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Wülfgang View Post
    Any Kroger store has them. They are scented though. I take one out and leave it outside for a few days to get the smell out. It's awful.

But they are tough and last multiple trips. Better option than a pack cover or dry bag.
    Here's the funny part, where I live, we don't have Kroger. This city is Kroger free thanks to the Delchamps family who were the main grocery store here for years, but the last heir to the Company sold off the stores sadly.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nooga View Post
    The only place that I could find unscented ones was at Ace Hardware.
    Ditto!

I had no problems finding trash compactor bags at WalMart... but the scent is infused in the material and impossible to wash away or air out. I tried. After washing multiple times and letting the bags air out on a cloths line for three days had no effect on the over-powering 'flowery' smell of the compactor bag.

But not all Ace Hardware stores carry trash compactor bags (much less Ace brand Trash Compactor bags). The 1st set of Ace Hardware store trash compactor bags I bought was the one box at my local Ace Hardware store that had them on clearance because they were not going to stock them anymore. So now, when ever I'm out of town, if I see an Ace Hardware store, I try to check on whether they carry the Ace Brand compactor bags or not. I would say that out of the 5 stores I've checked, only 1 carried them (the one in Townsend, TN).

Images

Big box home improvement stores carry them too.

And yes, definitely look for the unscented ones.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Same problem here. Everywhere but Ace only sold the scented ones. I think I paid $5 for 5 at Ace.

It looks like Amazon has them (although you might be able to find them cheaper locally): http://www.amazon.com/Hefty-Trash-Co...dp/B002BXRGQA/
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

It might be mostly OK to use the peppermint ones. Around here, people use the peppermint-scented ones for garbage because it helps keep the raccoons out of people's trash cans.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I got unscented bags in Tehachapi when my cuben liner failed (tons of tiny little pinprick holes), as I discovered after a hail/rain storm in the Mojave of all places. I believe it was either at the Albertsons or the KMart. $5 for 10 bags. I used one and kept a spare, putting the rest in a hiker box. The one lasted me for the rest of my hike and was still OK but I threw it out before flying home. I still have the spare for my next hike. I think it could last for months. Very sturdy. Not as nice as a cuben dry bag but when it wears out I'm out 50 cents rather than $50.

Images

Ultrasack from Amazon.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

If you have some extra $$ lying around forget the compactor bags and get a ZPacks cuben fiber pack liner. It fits my ULA Circuit like it was made for it (which it was) and has a roll top closure that is completely waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    If you have some extra $$ lying around forget the compactor bags and get a ZPacks cuben fiber pack liner. It fits my ULA Circuit like it was made for it (which it was) and has a roll top closure that is completely waterproof.
    That's what I had for a couple of years. Be sure to test it out as it gets older. Fill it up with water in a bath tub and observe whether it is truly water proof. Mine seemed fine to the naked eye but had a lot of pinholes in it. It was enough to allow some moisture inside in a very heavy rain/hail storm. It wasn't extremely serious (my bag stayed dry at the bottom of the Circuit) but disconcerting. That's when I switched to the compactor bags. I can replace them anytime they seem somewhat questionable at very low cost. I'm going to stick with compactor bags in the future.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I have a cuben pack liner that has pinholes in it too... I ended up using it as a food bag.

It's hard to beat a trash compactor bag.

Also, get the white ones. Easier to see inside than the black.

Journal Entries

I use nylofume, cut down. I dont have much that has to stay dry. Weighs about 0.75 oz.

Whatever you use, check it daily or often by trapping air in it and sqeezing. Holes can be patched with duct tape.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++