WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

They sell them on Amazon too.
    WalkingStick"75"

I found mine in the appliance department of the local Sears store.
    Yes...they're still in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    Here's the funny part, where I live, we don't have Kroger. This city is Kroger free thanks to the Delchamps family who were the main grocery store here for years, but the last heir to the Company sold off the stores sadly.
    Winn-Dixie? Piggly Wiggly? Jitney Jungle? A&P?
    10-K has the best deal.
    I had no idea that these bags lasted that long. I guess I should get a box.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Winn-Dixie? Piggly Wiggly? Jitney Jungle? A&P?
    10-K has the best deal.
    I had no idea that these bags lasted that long. I guess I should get a box.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Just FYI.... I'm down about $12 in postage and several bags thus far. Going forward, it would be nice if requests included, "and I'll Paypal you a buck or two to cover postage".. I have around 10 more.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Also, get the white ones. Easier to see inside than the black.
    Amen. Amen. And, ... AMEN!!!

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

What's the big deal with the scented ones? I use them and don't really mind the smell. I guess the unscented ones might be better but it's not like the scented ones smell like sewage. They also keep your pack from smelling like B.O. after a few days of having your nasty sweaty crap in there. To each their own I guess.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    What's the big deal with the scented ones? I use them and don't really mind the smell. I guess the unscented ones might be better but it's not like the scented ones smell like sewage. They also keep your pack from smelling like B.O. after a few days of having your nasty sweaty crap in there. To each their own I guess.
    Mice love smell good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wülfgang View Post
    Any Kroger store has them. They are scented though. I take one out and leave it outside for a few days to get the smell out. It's awful.

But they are tough and last multiple trips. Better option than a pack cover or dry bag.
    I've never found them at any of the Kroger stores in this area. Ended up ordering a box on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Mice love smell good stuff.
    I know I am a broken record, but.... Those that concider scented anything for the trail are thinking in human terms. Yes nice smelling things mask the stench from abusing our noses. They are not fooling the animals. Odor proof containers are another lie. The molecules left on the outside of the container by your hands is enough for the animal to know what is inside. Such marketing takes advantage of people thinking like humans and not grasping the abilities of animals. Adding any nice smelling anything will not hide anything from any animal and will instead give said animals one more odor to be curious about.

In short, I agree with RS.

I wish a few trappers would comment here. It is vanity to attempt to mask any smell from an animal. My trapping clothes lived a shed outside. I wore rubber boots that aired outside for months and were never touched by anything outer than the rubber gloves that lived with my trapping gear in the shed. At times, that was still not enough to fool a wise fox. Some had to be caught with blind sets. If you think a smelly bag or not smelly bag protects what is inside, you are being duped.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 06-26-2015 at 12:04.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Andrew Skurka seems to disagree and uses Opsaks in Grizzly country... so I think that the issue is at least a bit more complicated and might depend on the care one uses in food handling. Obviously if you smear peanut butter on the outside of an opsak it wont be too effective...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Just FYI.... I'm down about $12 in postage and several bags thus far. Going forward, it would be nice if requests included, "and I'll Paypal you a buck or two to cover postage".. I have around 10 more.
    Next June I could pick one up in person.
    Just kidding. We will be in Boone again for my granddaughter's graduations: high school & 8th grade.
    I must be getting old.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I know I am a broken record, but.... Those that concider scented anything for the trail are thinking in human terms. Yes nice smelling things mask the stench from abusing our noses. They are not fooling the animals. Odor proof containers are another lie. The molecules left on the outside of the container by your hands is enough for the animal to know what is inside. Such marketing takes advantage of people thinking like humans and not grasping the abilities of animals. Adding any nice smelling anything will not hide anything from any animal and will instead give said animals one more odor to be curious about.
    I'm not trying to hide anything from an animal...I'm trying to keep myself from throwing up in my mouth a little bit when I open my clothes bag while inside my tent on the 5th night of a trip
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

I'm not trying to hide anything from an animal...I'm trying to keep myself from throwing up in my mouth a little bit when I open my clothes bag while inside my tent on the 5th night of a trip
    Got ya'. That makes sense. I embrace the funk.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Andrew Skurka seems to disagree and uses Opsaks in Grizzly country... so I think that the issue is at least a bit more complicated and might depend on the care one uses in food handling. Obviously if you smear peanut butter on the outside of an opsak it wont be too effective...
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=75773

Not that it hasn't been posted a million times before.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

What's the big deal with the scented ones?
    The ones I bought from WalMart had a smell so overwhelming that it physically irritated my sinuses.
    I'm sure the level of 'scent' in compactor bags vary from company to company, and of course tolerance to the smells will vary from person to person.

Got mine at Walmart, don't use it as a liner but as a pack cover.

Wow, I had no idea about pinholes in the ZPacks liner. Did you pack hard objects inside? With mine I just pack soft stuff.

Images

I've also never been able to find compactor bags, except online. I never bothered because I've always found a simple trash bag from home works just fine. I usually have the Hefty Flex on hand. A new bag each trip works just fine for me, even on two or three week trips.

I've never had gear get wet while in the pack in over 33 years of backpacking using regular trash bags, so I guess my position is: If it ain't broke, don't bother fixing.
    Last edited by Lyle; 06-27-2015 at 09:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Wow, I had no idea about pinholes in the ZPacks liner. Did you pack hard objects inside? With mine I just pack soft stuff.
    Yes, I have packed my Bearikade inside the liner in the past (JMT thru hike) so maybe that had an impact. I'm not really sure. And the liner did last two solid years and many miles so I'm not really saying anything bad about it, just that it is important to test it as it gets older. I think that's true of any cuben gear. For me the price of the liner isn't worth getting a new one but it certainly is a more elegant solution than a compactor bag if price isn't an issue.

After reading this thread, I filled my cuben pack liner with water and found many pinholes leaking water. I took a magic marker, circled the pinholes, and sealed them up with cuben repair tape.

Should be good for another year or so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++