WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Buying a tent

Quote Originally Posted by Mikenet7482 View Post
    I pitched my tent again, outside with the stakes this time, and I slept in it overnight. It rained later that night but the tent kept the water out for the most part, well I should say I didn't get wet. However tiny bubbles of water formed on the inside of the rain fly. I think that's normal, and think the tent did great. I love how the base of the tent comes up a few inches higher than the fly to prevent water from flowing in. It came with 4 long strings and I dont know what they're for, it's not mentioned in the direcitons.

I had a few questions on tent maintenance if that's okay....

On extended trips where weight is important how is everyone getting the stakes all the way down, I had to use a maul (one with a plastic exterior so I wouldn't damage the stakes) I assume nobody is bringing a hammer, so is it even neccesary to have the stakes all the way down? If the pegs are holding firmly, you are okay.
    I've heard campdry a lot....

http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Heav...ywords=campdry

It says it's silicone based and works on tents, do you guys recommend this? I've newer used such a thing, or wish I had

It looks like the seams are sealed but is it smart to seal them again to keep water out? Maybe in a few years

How often does the tent need sealing, is it something that you only need to do once, or should I bring a small bottle of it so I can seal it if I notice any leaks? Maybe in a few years

Last one on sealing, is it smart or necessary to spray the whole tent with it to prevent bubbles? Campdry says it's breathable so air can get through, but I'm not so sure on that one. The bubbles are condensation, it happens some times, depending on weather.

Other questions.....

How long can I leave the tent pitched? Will the poles for the frame bend over time if I keep it up for a few days?
    I have the tent still set up in the yard, I read in the instructions that sunlight or moisture can damage it so I dryed it inside and out and put a sheet over it to block the sun. Good idea. UV damage can sneak up on you. I dry mine inside the house.

Also, a shammy seems to be very effective at drying a tent, any thoughts on this, is there any reason I shouldn't bring one on my long trip next year? A popular multi purpose item. Maybe I should get one.

One last one....

What has been the lifespan of tents all of you have had? Have yall been able to keep them in good condition for years? I have some 20+ years old, others I've wrecked in a summer, having them up all the time. As a suggestion, take care of your zippers (dry lube, don't force them), they are a week point in some tents.
    Hope this is helpful. Many happy adventures to you.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Just a comment on the moisture on the fly, that is just normal condensation. That's why people use double wall tents, so that moisture is out there on the fly where you cannot bump into it. A small cloth to wipe it up is appropriate to help avoid putting it away wet. And always completely dry your tent before long term storage.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++