Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sawyer: mini vs squeeze

AT thru hike...
    Which should I chose? I heard the mini is slower flow but lighter. I was thinking of just drinking dirty water through it to make up some time instead of filtering into another bag/bottle.

I find the mini is a pain to even squeeze out a mere 2 cups of water for my dehydrated meals. Drinking from the mini directly is fine though (although it takes a lot longer than sipping from something like a hydration tube which has a much faster flow rate).

Maybe I'm just impatient but I switched over both my mini and full-size Sawyer to a gravity filter setup a couple weeks ago. Limited use so far but TONS easier (and I made it so I can have a short setup filtering in the back mesh of my pack, or extend it with tubing to hang off a tree at camp).

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

+1 on the squeeze. The ounce or two of weight is well worth it. I'll sell you my mini for shipping.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

I have an unopened mini but I am going to rei tomorrow. Might just trade it out for the squeeze...

I have both and the squeeze flows faster and will not clog up as fast. That = more water before back flushing and more time to hike/camp. No one but bush crafters like camp chores LOL. "Inside joke"

Quote Originally Posted by life scout View Post
    I have both and the squeeze flows faster and will not clog up as fast. That = more water before back flushing and more time to hike/camp. No one but bush crafters like camp chores LOL. "Inside joke"
    Is that how to tell when it's time to backflush, when it starts clogging up? Haven't used my Sawyer mini yet
    A hiking stick a-sway keeps the doctor at bay.

When it starts to slow down. It's time to back flush. I try to back flush every couple gallons at least.

Can't go wrong with either. I use a mini and usually do a back flush after each trip. Works great and I like the smaller size. I have used a Squeeze as well and like it fine. Definitely goes faster than with the mini. I ofter just fill up a plastic bottle in a stream and screw the mini in to the top and keep hiking, drinking as I go - seems easier to do this with a Mini than with a Squeeze.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I got a mini first because of the weight. It is okay for camping using gravity, but for a fast refill while hiking, it is entirely inadequate. I just bought a Squeeze and I like it. Filtering a liter takes just a minute or two. I don't think there can be an ounce difference in weight. (I'm too lazy to actually dig them out and weigh them)
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

I have been using a mini for past 3 section hikes. On last hike the sawyer squeeze bag started leaking and became essentially useless. Unable to locate replacement bags in a store. REI and other outfitter store say I must order replacement squeeze bag on line only.

Quote Originally Posted by hagatflute View Post
    I have been using a mini for past 3 section hikes. On last hike the sawyer squeeze bag started leaking and became essentially useless. Unable to locate replacement bags in a store. REI and other outfitter store say I must order replacement squeeze bag on line only.
    An Evernew soft bag has the same threads. I use a 1.5L soft bag.

I found replacement bags at Walmart and in a pinch a soda or water bottle works, too.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I too use the mini in gravity mode.
    I have a 2L Evernew bag for dirty water and a 2L platypus hoser for clean water. Punched a hole in the margins of the Evernew and added a piece of string to allow me to hang the bag. The hoser comes with some very thick hose that I replaced with surgical tubing from my old Sweetwater filter system.
    When I get to camp, I like being able to only take the dirty water bag to the water source. I then return to camp and setup the gravity filter. It takes about 4 minutes to filter 2L (with NO squeezing) and I simply spend that time doing other camp chores.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I too use the mini in gravity mode.
    I have a 2L Evernew bag for dirty water and a 2L platypus hoser for clean water. Punched a hole in the margins of the Evernew and added a piece of string to allow me to hang the bag. The hoser comes with some very thick hose that I replaced with surgical tubing from my old Sweetwater filter system.
    When I get to camp, I like being able to only take the dirty water bag to the water source. I then return to camp and setup the gravity filter. It takes about 4 minutes to filter 2L (with NO squeezing) and I simply spend that time doing other camp chores.
    How long is your tubing? Longer tubes give faster flow rates (but also weigh more).

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    How long is your tubing? Longer tubes give faster flow rates (but also weigh more).
    It's only about 2-1/2' long.
    Here's a fuzzy picture where I did a test in the kitchen with tap water:
    sawyer.jpg

And yes, the longer the tubing (more specifically, the greater the height difference between the top of the clean water bag and the top of the water in the dirty water bag) the greater the water pressure will be to move the water through the filter.

I have the mini but bought it because the squeeze was being replaced by the mini. If you are counting grams, then the mini is the way to go. I've never owned the squeeze, but sintax77 says he has noticed some slow flow issues with his mini and didn't have that problem with the squeeze. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb0rYJvlowg
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

....bag started leaking and became essentially useless. Unable to locate replacement bags in a store. ,,,
    While I do not have one of these, I did see many (if not most) of the thru-hikers on the A.T. using them this past June. They had the filter system hooked up to a water bottle (I think it was a Smart Water bottle)... and yes, they said the squeeze bag was useless longevity-wise, but they just switched to the water bottle.

I used the Aqua Mira drops, so I am not versed in the squeeze - YET! (picking one up this week to try on weekend hikes...)

Go with the full size unless the extra ounce or 2 is that big of a deal. The mini doesn't flow as well and clogs more. If you carry smart water bottles you can use one with the flip cap to backflush. The mouthpiece fits perfectly onto the squeeze.

We just use the mini as an inline filter on a 3L Platy. Fill the Platy w dirty water and throw it back in the pack and drink up. Fast! Then when we need to cook the gravity option is there.

Dang 2l of water in the backpack is 4lbs. I try to avoid that unless I'm unsure about water. Just drink up at the source and take one or two smart water bottles with you.

I have both the mini and squeeze. The squeeze is a little faster and doesn't clog as fast. The mini tends to. Need back washing more often but not too much.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++