WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Mail drop?

Default Mail drop?

Are there any places a mail drop is required for a resupply?

Images

Seems like Pmags has a great resupply summary on his stickie in the CT forum, check that out if you haven't.

Assuming you're hiking SOBO from Denver, the first town with a large-enough store for resupply is Breckenridge which is over 100 miles. So I'd send a maildrop to Jefferson. The store is hiker friendly but the stock is simply not on the scale you need for resupply.

I would also send a maildrop to Twin Lakes although you could resupply in Leadville with sufficient food to make it to Salida. It depends on your pace and how much pack weight you want to save. Like Jefferson, Twin Lakes' store is not sufficient for resupply.

For the second half of the hike - Salida/Rt. 50 to Durango, you can get your supplies from stores in Creede or Lake City and Silverton.

Journal Entries

The short answer is no for required.
    It can be convenient however.
    Depends to some extent on daily pace.

Twin Lakes makes a lot of sense to minimize food weight out of Leadville. A mail drop to Monarch Crest store (if on the Collegiate west) would allow for bypassing Salida. A drop to Molas lake allows skipping Silverton. Both are nice towns but some prefer to stay on the trail.

You might phone the Twin Lakes General Store and inquire about their resupply merchandise. I know this year they've begun carrying many more items desired by long distance hikers.

http://www.twinlakesgs.com

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Son Driven will resupply to any address. Our mission is to provide meaningful paid activity for homeless. Please check out our web site www.SonDriven.com.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

do you need to call ahead and tell them (twin lakes, Monarch Crest) that you're sending a box? I'll be sending it on July 18th, not going to get to MC until about August 4 or after...

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by MaryandMarc View Post
    do you need to call ahead and tell them (twin lakes, Monarch Crest) that you're sending a box? I'll be sending it on July 18th, not going to get to MC until about August 4 or after...
    It wouldn't hurt. Both places are well-versed in receiving packages, but as a courtesy, it's best to call in advance. That said, by now they know what a resupply package is, and to hold onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryandMarc View Post
    I emailed twin lakes but I don't think it was necessary. They get a lot of boxes. Not sure about Monarch Crest.

Yes phone ahead. Ask both Twin Lakes and Monarch Crest whether USPS, UPS or FedEx (both have delivery limitations) and any other particulars including what info to print on the outside of the box.

++ New Posts ++