WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rain gear suggestions

I'm looking to upgrade my rain gear from nothing to something lol. I'm looking for suggestions for a very lightweight rain jacket that won't break the bank. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Second the motion on Frogg Toggs, and add an umbrella.

Thank you! That is exactly what I'm looking for....and ONLY $15

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

As long as you do not bushwhack, the driducks jacket works well. The pants need a bit more TLC. Many people take something else (if at all - depending when/where you backpack)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Frog togs makes a $10 light weight umbrella found at Wallyworld. I used one a week on the AT and got good rain 2 days. I was happy to have the umbrella. High humidity and warm temps are a recipe for sweat in your rain gear.

Images

Probably more than you want to spend, Marmot Mica, 7 oz. $150, Mont Bell Dynamo Wind Pant, 3 oz. $70. Last a lifetime.....

I'll second Frogg Toggs. Lightest gear available. If I recall price was something like 60 bucks though that's a ways back.

I've actually switched over to a poncho and gaiters. Breathes better, covers me and my pack so there's no large amount of water flowing between me and the pack, hip belt stays dry, etc.

For ultralight: http://www.rei.com/product/889219/bi...rp-special-buy - a friend bought one and I have envy.

I have a Sea to Summit Ultra Sil Nano poncho. It is the newer 8 oz design. Cost around $90, but packs very small and seems pretty durable. Used it on the AT this past week. All the ponchos are warm, but if its raining hard the rain will keep you cool. It's only warm when it's just drizzling.

http://www.campsaver.com/ultra-sil-nano-tarp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garlic
    Images

The Red Ledge stuff commonly available at military surplus and on Amazon is OK for the price. There's some silnylon stuff (non breathable but very light) available at equinoxltd.com.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I third the poncho, especially if you are upgrading from nothing. Super light. Multi-use. Keeps both your core and your gear dry. Breaths better than anything except an umbrella. Handles wind (when using a waist belt) and bushwacking better than an umbrella. Lower Lower legs and arms still get wet. Oh well.

I've tried ponchos. I find they seem to be geared better for someone taller than I (5'6"). At least for me, tended to get in the way.

Others may have different experiences.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Remember to determine what you're trying to keep dry, and for how long. I personally choose to go with a quality top layer, and forgo any bottom rain protection whatsoever.

The top layer tends to keep the top 2/3 of me dry, leaving the the bottom of my pants and shoes wet, which is similar to the results you would get without 'full-on' rain protection (from what I understand most people tend not to carry anyway).

Images

I just used the Big Agnes poncho from REI @ 85.95 in a all day rain in the Delaware Gap area and found it worked better than my old jacket and pants combo. I was not as hot or sweaty and did not need a pack cover, It weighed less than my pants, jacket and cover and it is a tarp to boot. As a shelter it was great for a shelter hopper like me instead of my tent being packed in my bag to boot. Old set up 23oz rain gear, 4 oz pack cover, 32oz tent = 61 oz while the poncho is only 8oz, savings of 53 ozs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I've tried ponchos. I find they seem to be geared better for someone taller than I (5'6"). At least for me, tended to get in the way.

Others may have different experiences.
    Thoughts on gate wood cape? Thinking about using for sept jmt sobo....thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Thoughts on gate wood cape? Thinking about using for sept jmt sobo....thoughts??

Liked it as a shelter. Did not like as rain gear.

But, again, I *personally* have not had good luck with ponchos.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I haven't tried it yet, but lots of folks rave about the packa: http://www.thepacka.com/

I have a nice Patagonia jacket that I use year round.

I pair it with a $30 silnylon rain skirt.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I tried a poncho but didn't work for me. I just had a hard time with wind and taking my pack on and off etc . . . I now have a good and very light jacket and I went with a kilt type of affair that is made out of very light rainproof material. That lets air move around a lot better then pants but still keeps me relatively dry even if I sit down. I am looking at shifting to a water proof pack from Mountain Hardware. Right now I use the bag method as I don't really like pack covers that much. Problem is a pack can absorb water so even if your stuff is dry inside trash bags, you still start caring water weight. I don't know much about the Mountain Hardware stuff, will be ordering it through REI tomorrow. That way if it doesn't work for me, I can at least take it back and stick with my old pack. Anyone else have any experience with these packs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++